ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

My first bruise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 01:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nice! How did they go about fixing it? It looks perfect.
Yes, I'm curious, too, about just what the shop did.

My guess would be that, after uninstalling the bumper cover, they sanded the damaged area smooth. Then, they likely spotted in new color just in the area where the damage was and gradually faded/blended the new paint to a slightly larger area. Finally, they would have sprayed a new clear coat over the entire panel. If they had just done a less careful job with shortcuts, such as not removing the panel and trim pieces, they would have had to mask off adjacent panels and and trim pieces, and the job might have looked okay from a distance, but you would be able, upon close inspection, to see the lines where the masking was done.

In any case, glad to see that it turned out well.
Old 02-06-19, 05:51 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

They had it since Monday. Said they would need the car three days. Don't know if they took the fender off, but he did say something about blending. Haven't noticed a masking line. But, I haven't looked for one either. If I do, will let you know.
Old 02-06-19, 06:10 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

After the PPF is on, maybe I'll grab a set of these carbon fiber bumper scratch protectors. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Front-R...d/263318925661

Old 02-06-19, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Please don't put those scuff guards on there. Those are uglier than scratches...

If they had it 3 days they color coated that area, blended it up into the bumper and re-cleared the whole bumper which is the right way to do it.
The following users liked this post:
BrettKA7 (03-02-19)
Old 02-07-19, 05:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

That part doesn't seem to fit the 350 anyway.
Old 02-07-19, 06:07 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice work by your body shop.

I had my F Sport three weeks, when I was doing the spray booth wash and the tip of the spray head brushed the top fold of the passenger door. It left a scratch about 4" long but fortunately not too deep.

I have the Nebula Gray. A trusted local "at your house" guy came and did the repair in my garage in about 3 hours (FL drying time is long.) It cost $200 and came out perfect.

I'm a lot more careful when doing the washy washy thing now.
Old 02-07-19, 06:45 AM
19LexusDad
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your new car! Looks like a terrific job on repairing your scratch - good as new!

Yes, crazy things happen. As I’m sure others have experienced, no matter how careful I drive, I have managed to lightly scratch under on the front bumper bottom lip if I go up/down a steep incline/decline just a little too quickly. The light scratches cannot be seen, but I know it’s there. May try to touch up at home just to cover any exposed metal, but I know it’s just going to happen again. Oh well! Otherwise the car is carefully parked wherever I go. My wife hasn’t even driven it yet! I have no plans to modify or lower - it’s beautiful as is!

Old 02-07-19, 07:02 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 19LexusDad

Yes, crazy things happen. As I’m sure others have experienced, no matter how careful I drive, I have managed to lightly scratch under on the front bumper bottom lip if I go up/down a steep incline/decline just a little too quickly. The light scratches cannot be seen, but I know it’s there. May try to touch up at home just to cover any exposed metal, but I know it’s just going to happen again. Oh well! Otherwise the car is carefully parked wherever I go. My wife hasn’t even driven it yet! I have no plans to modify or lower - it’s beautiful as is!

Yes, the front overhang is so low it is hard not to get scratches on the underside but you are right - they can't be seen. I don't believe there is any exposed metal under there though, all plastic.

Dave Mac
19LexusDad (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 09:23 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Enjoy your new car! Looks like a terrific job on repairing your scratch - good as new!

Yep. Dave Mac is right. No metal under there. All black plastic.

19LexusDad (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 05:45 PM
19LexusDad
Rookie

Thanks,
I was concerned about rust/corrosion, but now I’ll just wait a little longer as I adapt to the lower profile and driving over bumps better. I’ve noticed how the bottom portion just barely clears the concrete stops when I’m parking. I’m a lot more careful - never had to worry about it with my SUV’s for obvious reasons.
Old 02-07-19, 06:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Thanks,
I was concerned about rust/corrosion, but now I’ll just wait a little longer as I adapt to the lower profile and driving over bumps better. I’ve noticed how the bottom portion just barely clears the concrete stops when I’m parking. I’m a lot more careful - never had to worry about it with my SUV’s for obvious reasons.
Even though there is no metal on the bottom portion of the bumper, you still want to avoid scraping the bottom of the bumper on any objects because doing so can snap off/break the bumper clips that attach the bumper to the rest of the car's body. Those bumper clips are designed to break with only minimal impact because, when they do break, that is supposed to eliminate or, at least, reduce damage beyond the bumper when the bumper sustains impact. On the Generation 6 ES board, there have been at least a couple of posts from people whose bumpers were misaligned as the result of broken bumper clips. While the cost of a new bumper clip is relatively low, installing the new bumper clip requires removal of the bumper cover, and that is a job that takes a couple of hours of labor.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
19LexusDad (02-07-19), AnthonyMJ (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 03:57 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice!
Old 04-22-19, 07:07 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My first bruise happened today. Despite AnthonyMJ's excellent advice I still managed to hit a curb with the front spoiler during a parallel parking maneuver. I got lucky. From the top you see where the PPF was disturbed along the bottom lip:

From the bottom you can see I hit the curb pretty good and did some damage:
It's all plastic where the damage took place. I'm just going to clean up the film edge and leave it alone. Yes, that front spoiler looks good, but it takes an awareness that I haven't needed before to keep from hitting things with it!
Old 04-23-19, 05:59 AM
19LexusDad
Rookie

Yes, it sucks, no matter how careful we try to be with our cars.

Watch out for your rims as well, especially if you have the F Sport 19” wheels. I scratched my right rear one the other day when I was a little too aggressive on my turn and rubbed the curb along the way. Totally my fault.
Old 04-25-19, 09:41 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

I feel your pain...

Quick Reply: My first bruise...