ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Front windshield sunshade (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 11:35 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Front windshield sunshade (merged threads)

True summer will hit Florida in about 2 months. Any recommendations for custom fit sunshades for the 7th Gen windshield?

Last edited by AnthonyMJ; 01-27-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 12:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
True summer will hit Florida in about 2 months. Any recommendations for custom fit sunshades for the 7th Gen windshield?
Walmart specials will work fine. Which part of the sunshine state you in? We have a place on west coast Sanibel Island.
Old 01-27-19, 02:47 PM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as fitted inside i have one of the circular pop open ones that are across full windshield. But i also had my frt windshield done in the 3m crystaline. Thw lightest tint 5% ? Cant even tell
from reg but huge cut in ir heat. Tho i have only had car since dec so dont know alone how it will be in our Florida summers. Even if its a slight improvment ill be happy.
I tell you what keeps the car the coolest. I bought a california poptop for my 350z convertible. ( they are basicaly Tyvek But fitted for the cars.
Crack the windows 1/2 inch and it’s unbelievably cool
inside even after sitting all day in the sun.
They cost a little but work amazing and once you adjust them you can put them on in less than a minute and they make one to fit the Es.
Old 01-27-19, 05:33 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Walmart specials will work fine. Which part of the sunshine state you in? We have a place on west coast Sanibel Island.
Small world. I'm in Clearwater, But do a lot of work in Fort Myers and have a good friend with a restaurant on Sanibel. Perhaps you know it, Sweet Melissa's.
Old 01-27-19, 05:38 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES63
As far as fitted inside i have one of the circular pop open ones that are across full windshield. But i also had my frt windshield done in the 3m crystaline. Thw lightest tint 5% ? Cant even tell
from reg but huge cut in ir heat. Tho i have only had car since dec so dont know alone how it will be in our Florida summers. Even if its a slight improvment ill be happy.
I tell you what keeps the car the coolest. I bought a california poptop for my 350z convertible. ( they are basicaly Tyvek But fitted for the cars.
Crack the windows 1/2 inch and it’s unbelievably cool
inside even after sitting all day in the sun.
They cost a little but work amazing and once you adjust them you can put them on in less than a minute and they make one to fit the Es.
That pop top thing is pretty interesting. Wish I'd had that with my TR6. And they're not that much pricier than some of the custom sunshades I'm finding.
Old 01-27-19, 06:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Small world. I'm in Clearwater, But do a lot of work in Fort Myers and have a good friend with a restaurant on Sanibel. Perhaps you know it, Sweet Melissa's.
Know it well. Weve been going to Sanibel for more than 25 years. Heading down there in fact in a few weeks.
Old 01-28-19, 04:39 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ha , Work in Anna Maria, Live in Sarasota. Poptop is great and also have a 63 TR4 currently doing a resto. but use the one from my 350 on my Datsun1600.
Old 01-28-19, 07:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

There's another thread going right now on front windscreen sun shades. I own four cars and have four Covercraft folding sunshades. They are custom fitted, durable and come in several colors. Tried to save some money by ordering one from Ebay but although designated for my very car, it couldn't be held by the visors. Too short... Sent it back and ordered from Covercraft for an exact fit. Oldest one is 6 years old and like new. Remember, you get what you pay for...
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyMJ (01-31-19)
Old 01-30-19, 04:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's the other thread:

Sunshade.

On my 2013 ES, I had one of those sunshades from eBay. It was fine. But by early 2018, when I got the 2018 ES, the sunshade started having some tears.

So I asked for recommendations in the thread above. I finally went with Covercraft and it was delivered last Thursday.
AnthonyMJ (01-31-19)
Old 01-30-19, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've always used the folding covercraft sunshades, for like 20 years, they're excellent and last forever.
AnthonyMJ (01-31-19)
Old 01-31-19, 03:13 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Your friend must be a fan of the Allman Brothers.

Walmart sunshades have worked fine for me.
Old 02-01-19, 12:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wasjr
Your friend must be a fan of the Allman Brothers.

Walmart sunshades have worked fine for me.
Ha - we've been going to Sanibel for 25 years and I never thought of that I have a five year old Walmart shade that is still perfect as well.
Old 06-15-19, 02:01 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I normally buy a Covercraft cut to fit hard shade for the front windshield. I've done so on a number of previous cars. I noticed on my 2016 Genesis Sedan that it was scuffing the dash after 2+ years of putting it up and removing it. Because of this, I chickened out and order the other "custom" cut to fit option that's talked about on the internet from Heather's Heatshield for the 2019 ES 300h.

Unlike the accordion style Covercraft, the Heatshield is a roll up style. I initially thought that would be better, although I'm now having second thoughts. It mostly fits fine, it's a little larger left to right than the windshield (which is probably good), my last Covercraft was a touch smaller due to how the A pillars were. It's just as unwieldy to put up, if not worse than the Covercraft. I may bite the bullet and buy a new Covercraft instead.

It's hard to picture, but I took a few shots...

Interior view

Front exterior view

Passenger side exterior view

Drivers side exterior view
Old 06-16-19, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've never found an option better than the Covercraft, just have to be careful about how you put it up
Old 06-17-19, 09:35 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Here's the other thread:

Sunshade.

On my 2013 ES, I had one of those sunshades from eBay. It was fine. But by early 2018, when I got the 2018 ES, the sunshade started having some tears.

So I asked for recommendations in the thread above. I finally went with Covercraft and it was delivered last Thursday.
I like my Covercraft now, on my 2018.

But I also liked my 2013 accordion sunshade from eBay. It's just that when I needed to replace it in 2018, I couldn't verify that I was getting the same ones. The listed measurements on those listings looked off, and when I asked the sellers to check the measurements, they said they couldn't. Or they wouldn't respond. The one thing I liked about the old sunshade, was that if I was hanging a permit, it would push it against the window, because the curve around the center was higher.

With the Covercraft, the curve around the center is slower, making my permit hang back and out of view. Now, I don't hang permits, I just place it on the bottom of my dash, and have the Covercraft push it against the window, from the bottom of the window. That's just the one thing that I can't do with the Covercraft.

But the durability and ease of the Covercraft is great.

Quick Reply: Front windshield sunshade (merged threads)