ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Heavy Rain disables most safety features...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 07:01 AM
ccuttner
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heavy Rain disables most safety features...

Now on week-two with a 2019 ES 300h -- had our first substantial rain and the instrument panel lit up like a Christmas Tree.... paraphrasing the progression of messages and lights: first was 'cameras dirty or obscured by raindrops on backup and forward camera' then 'cross-traffic alerts unavailable' followed by 'BSM unavailable' then 'parking assist unavailable'. This would be the progression of rain attenuation from 26 GHz radar (BSM) down to ultrasonic (Parking assist) then optical (Camera)... All accompanied by the Master Alarm and "!" you're in deep-doo-doo.

...sure glad I wasn't distracted while trying to drive safely in really bad weather.

Drove the old-fashioned way: Manually, looking out the window! All safe, now have to find all the cameras to wipe them off.
Old 01-20-19, 06:02 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Many of the automatic features are controlled by cameras and radar. If the rain or fog is so heavy it is hard for you to see, naturally, the cameras have the same problem. They have no magical powers. The cameras are not intended to replace the human eye, but to supplement it. Glad you are safe. The good news is that you don't have to wipe the cameras. They will shed water naturally.
Old 01-21-19, 01:28 PM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

ha had same issue when i first got my Genesis , wondered of smething was wrong but then noticed in same weather conditions. good thing dont want car trying to drive on changing wet road and cant see..
At least they didnt put in the Bad Florida drivers function ( turn the hazards on while driving in the rain )
Old 01-21-19, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

That surprises me, I've never seen BSM or cross traffic (which uses the sensors for the BSM) impacted by rain...or even a car filthy with snow. Now, the cameras sure. Radar cruise control also when the sensor is very dirty, and the Lexus system doesn't operate when the wipers are on high.
Old 01-22-19, 02:27 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

In my opinion the rear camera is supersensitive:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...sensitive.html

It still works in rain but I'll get a warning message that the camera is dirty and that RCTA, etc., are disabled.

Moderate road dirt does the same. I keep Windex wipes in the car.

A Lexus tech told me that the camera system is sensitive and so this behavior is normal.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 01-22-19, 05:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
A Lexus tech told me that the camera system is sensitive and so this behavior is normal.
I'm shocked at this response!
Old 01-22-19, 08:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I haven't experienced any of this YET. Driven in heavy rain, sleet and snow this past weekend but no issues so far.
Old 01-22-19, 09:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I haven't experienced any of this YET. Driven in heavy rain, sleet and snow this past weekend but no issues so far.
The weather in our area has been atrocious this past week. Snow, rain, high winds, 6 degrees F. the other night, no malfunctions to report, everything working as it should...

Old 01-22-19, 10:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
The weather in our area has been atrocious this past week. Snow, rain, high winds, 6 degrees F. the other night, no malfunctions to report, everything working as it should...
You had a similar mess in PA as we did in NJ - probably worse but no impact on the safety systems.
Old 01-22-19, 10:37 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2018 Genesis G80 Sport (as did a bunch of Genesis owners as reported on those forums) and my Wife had similar issues with her Camry, during last weeks heavy rain in SoCal.
Old 01-24-19, 03:54 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I decided to take my car in for a second opinion re: the rear camera sensitivity. The shop foreman will keep the car for a few days to try to reproduce the problem and troubleshoot.
Old 01-24-19, 05:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Drenching rain today in NJ and no issue with this.
Old 01-25-19, 11:17 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Drenching rain today in NJ and no issue with this.
Well Mike, it rained all day here too and a drenching downpour. No system malfunctions to report, all working as they should... Rare when I actually get a raindrop on the rear camera.
No issues with the front cams...
Old 01-25-19, 11:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well Mike, it rained all day here too and a drenching downpour. No system malfunctions to report, all working as they should... Rare when I actually get a raindrop on the rear camera.
No issues with the front cams...
And the good news it was rain and not snow
Old 01-25-19, 11:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ccuttner
Now on week-two with a 2019 ES 300h -- had our first substantial rain and the instrument panel lit up like a Christmas Tree.... paraphrasing the progression of messages and lights: first was 'cameras dirty or obscured by raindrops on backup and forward camera' then 'cross-traffic alerts unavailable' followed by 'BSM unavailable' then 'parking assist unavailable'. This would be the progression of rain attenuation from 26 GHz radar (BSM) down to ultrasonic (Parking assist) then optical (Camera)... All accompanied by the Master Alarm and "!" you're in deep-doo-doo.

...sure glad I wasn't distracted while trying to drive safely in really bad weather.

Drove the old-fashioned way: Manually, looking out the window! All safe, now have to find all the cameras to wipe them off.
I assume this is normal as inclement weather coupled with poor road conditions (dirt oil freezing rain), but best to check with ur local dealership. There is an extensive guidance of when the systems operate and when they drop off in the manual. I assume the messages are to let those owners who dont read the manual, zone out of driving, and if things go left decide to blame Lexus vis a v Lexus Legal probably sat down and made sure liability is reduced.

Quick Reply: Heavy Rain disables most safety features...