ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

6th Generation Sound system vs 7th Generation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 05:23 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
This is the wrong thread to argue about the ML, since the OP is not looking for any advice on it. We'll just agree to disagree for now. We do, however, agree on your last point.
True! And lol. At least we're agreeing on something. Haha
Old 12-12-18, 03:00 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMido
Center Stage is NOT a gimmick IMHO. Its the ML system that's in this car that is just CHEAP...I just went and test drove a Lincoln MKZ yesterday (I'm not trying to compare the 2 cars in anyway other than AUDIO) And was BLOWN AWAY by the incredible Revel Ultima sound system in there. Revel happens to be another Harman group company, and they utlilize the same technologies for surround, stage mode, etc.

I used the SAME flash drive, with the same songs I used before in ES350 with ML. But the quality of the audio was incredible in the MKZ! The highs were extremely clear, the mids were so full, and the Lows were beautiful and filled the cabin with pressure from the audio. With ZERO distortion. The Center Stage did a FANTASTIC job, while still hearing audio coming from everywhere in the cabin, front, back, sides. It had a perfect balance.

All I'm trying to say here is I honestly believe Lexus wasn't willing to pay Harman/ML enough for a good audio system. I don't think ML is incapable of making a brilliant system. It's Lexus here that messed it up for the sake of cost cutting....
I'll never buy another Lexus for this reason. The ML in the 2019 ES is an abomination. Lexus should be embarrassed. Why can cars half the price make audio FAR better than Lexus' "upgraded" sound? The ELS in my Acura blows ML out of the water in terms of clarity, fullness, and balance... it's not even close. Instead of spending money on advertising their gimmick with costly commercials inside orchestra halls Lexus should spend that money on the quality of the sound. Serious question: How does anyone who cares about audio ever buy a second Lexus?
Old 12-12-18, 05:11 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321
I'll never buy another Lexus for this reason. The ML in the 2019 ES is an abomination. Lexus should be embarrassed. Why can cars half the price make audio FAR better than Lexus' "upgraded" sound? The ELS in my Acura blows ML out of the water in terms of clarity, fullness, and balance... it's not even close. Instead of spending money on advertising their gimmick with costly commercials inside orchestra halls Lexus should spend that money on the quality of the sound. Serious question: How does anyone who cares about audio ever buy a second Lexus?
The ML system an abomination? Come on now. There must have been a defect in the car you tested. I haven't heard many audio systems in other luxury cars so I can't compare it to the competition. The only thing I can compare to is the Pioneer sound system that is the standard on the 2019 ES and the JBL system in my current 2011 Camry (the car the ES will be replacing when it's delivered in February). The ML system is noticeably better than the JBL system and the Pioneer system. Especially compared to the Pioneer system when listening to XM.

I wouldn't pick a car based on the sound system alone.
Old 12-12-18, 06:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
The ML system an abomination? Come on now. There must have been a defect in the car you tested. I haven't heard many audio systems in other luxury cars so I can't compare it to the competition. The only thing I can compare to is the Pioneer sound system that is the standard on the 2019 ES and the JBL system in my current 2011 Camry (the car the ES will be replacing when it's delivered in February). The ML system is noticeably better than the JBL system and the Pioneer system. Especially compared to the Pioneer system when listening to XM.

I wouldn't pick a car based on the sound system alone.
This thread amazes me. It's a darn car, not a concert hall. The ML system sounds pretty darn good to me and Im comparing it to my daughters Q5 and my son in laws M4.
The following users liked this post:
jimv1983 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 04:21 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This thread amazes me. It's a darn car, not a concert hall. The ML system sounds pretty darn good to me and Im comparing it to my daughters Q5 and my son in laws M4.
Keyword here is "good to me" Thats JUST you!! Sorry to say, but anyone who's into audio, and has good ears will not be impressed by the ML system in the 2019 ES...It's acceptable at best! And considering the fact that this is a car that goes well into the $50K range. Acceptable is UNACCEPTABLE...
Old 12-13-18, 05:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Keyword here is "good to me" Thats JUST you!! Sorry to say, but anyone who's into audio, and has good ears will not be impressed by the ML system in the 2019 ES...It's acceptable at best! And considering the fact that this is a car that goes well into the $50K range. Acceptable is UNACCEPTABLE...
Yep - you have your subjective opinion and I have mine. If I hated something about a car, I'd never buy it in the first place.
Old 12-13-18, 05:40 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Yep - you have your subjective opinion and I have mine. If I hated something about a car, I'd never buy it in the first place.
Agreed! If the ML system in this car was what I expected for that price range; it would have sealed the deal for me. But that with other issues I had with the car, I've decided to look elsewhere...
Old 12-13-18, 08:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed! If the ML system in this car was what I expected for that price range; it would have sealed the deal for me. But that with other issues I had with the car, I've decided to look elsewhere...
Excellent and good luck with your next car. This is what makes the world go around.
Old 12-13-18, 08:49 AM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason I am so disappointed with the ML is not simply because it is poor, flimsy and unbalanced... I am disappointed because Lexus markets this as heaven for audiophiles. When compared to Lexus' advertising campaign, the ML is hot garbage. Lexus knows they are cost cutting on this junk system while still boasting that it is the greatest. Lexus should be above marketing gimmicks. They are a luxury brand selling a $50,000+ sedan. Goodbye after this lease, Lexus.
horsey (11-02-19)
Old 12-13-18, 10:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jshap4321
The reason I am so disappointed with the ML is not simply because it is poor, flimsy and unbalanced... I am disappointed because Lexus markets this as heaven for audiophiles. When compared to Lexus' advertising campaign, the ML is hot garbage. Lexus knows they are cost cutting on this junk system while still boasting that it is the greatest. Lexus should be above marketing gimmicks. They are a luxury brand selling a $50,000+ sedan. Goodbye after this lease, Lexus.
You've made your point(s). Lexus is garbage and so you're shopping another brand. Many great brands out there so I'm certain you'll find something that meets your standards.. And thank goodness you leased and didn't purchase.

Last edited by mikemu30; 12-13-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 10:43 AM
SuperMido
Driver

You've made your point(s). Lexus is garbage and so you're shopping another brand. Many great brands out there so I'm certain you'll find something that meets your standards.. And thank goodness you leased and didn't purchase.
Gotta love the sarcastic tone in your comments...If people like jshap4321, myself and others stop bringing up issues and complaints they are having. Im sure everyone, including YOU will be crying in the future...Lexus isn't garbage, but they're taking the cheap way with some things. If we don't say they're wrong, it'll get worse. And will be to everyone's loss.

If you love your car, good for you! You've also made your point(s).....
Old 12-13-18, 10:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Gotta love the sarcastic tone in your comments...If people like jshap4321, myself and others stop bringing up issues and complaints they are having. Im sure everyone, including YOU will be crying in the future...Lexus isn't garbage, but they're taking the cheap way with some things. If we don't say they're wrong, it'll get worse. And will be to everyone's loss.

If you love your car, good for you! You've also made your point(s).....
Sarcasm - you mean like using terms abomination, garbage etc?? ha - my last reply on this thread. Yes I do love the ES and everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Old 12-13-18, 10:51 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Sarcasm - you mean like using terms abomination, garbage etc?? ha - my last reply on this thread. Yes I do love the ES and everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Exactly what I've said...You've made your point(s)....
Old 12-13-18, 12:06 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

That's not JUST him. Many people are impressed by the ML system. I'm not sure what you mean by "into audio" but I do have good ears. I am impressed with the ML system in the 2019 ES. It probably isn't the best sound system I have EVER heard but it's pretty damn good and certainly better than the standard Pioneer system

I'm curious what "other issues" you had and what you are looking at instead. The Lexus has great handling, a comfortable ride, quiet cabin, nice interior and most important great reliability with repair/maintenance costs that aren't absurd. Anyone that cares about reliability and not being ripped off on maintenance and repairs will likely be staying away from German brands. And for reliability Genesis is out too. That leaves Infiniti and Acura I guess. I wasn't really impressed with either one. I really can't think of a brand that beats Lexus in all those categories.
mikemu30 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 12:46 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What cars are you considering?

Quick Reply: 6th Generation Sound system vs 7th Generation