ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus rear speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 04:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Back in June of 2019 I brought my car in for the 5k service. I had the opportunity to speak to the SM and asked him what, if anything, was being done or considered with the ML system.
His reply was that Lexus was going to do a "revision" to the system. What that meant, I don't know. That was almost 3 months ago and I haven't heard anything. Back in 2013 when all of these audio complaints started, members suggested that a class action suit be started against Toyota. None was initiated then and, I believe, none has been initiated now. I owned a 2013 and now I own a 2019 and have never been contacted regarding becoming a party to any suit. Further, I agree with Doug that nothing will become of these complaints in the near future and it is what it is... I had the standard audio in the 2013, a JBL system in an Avalon, and now the ML system in my 2019. For my money the best was the JBL in the 2006 Avalon...
The runner up is my 1998 Corvette Bose system...

Last edited by bc6152; 09-07-19 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 08:21 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Truly55
I remember when I sat in a UK demonstrator car on the 1 March (new registration day) that the ML did sound front biased and there was some, albeit little, sound coming from the rear. I made a conscious decision to specifically check the rear speakers. That car would have been built back end of 2018.

My car was confirmed built early July 2019 and there is good sound coming from the rear even with the fader set to middle. I do wonder if anything has been changed or improved at the factories end? For reference I’m playing Apple Music from my iOS device in the car. I haven’t tried CDs in the car or specifically listened to DAB radio to see if it’s the same story with ample sound from the rear. I’ll do that today.

Truly55
That is encouraging news. Hopefully that implies a resolution to the issue for new purchasers, but unfortunately it won't help those experiencing the issue that have already purchased. Anyway, thanks for sharing your observations. That may indeed suggest the very late model 2019 and 2020 models will have this issue corrected.

There is always a risk to purchasing a vehicle in its first model year. My dad was a mechanic and he warned us to never make that mistake. However, Toyota/Lexus has a good track record so we purchased a new model year anyway. So far, we have been delighted. My primary complaint is the "strangled cat" noises the hybrid noisemaker generates. We chose to leave it be rather than wrap it in duct tape like one member offered, but it is very grating and gets us some weird looks. Why couldn't they just make it sound like an internal combustion engine rather than the wailing noise they chose? I even had a security guard ask me if something was wrong with my car when I slowly idled past his guard shack! That said, there is much that we enjoy about this car so it is easy to overlook a few minor annoyances.
The following users liked this post:
UKEE (09-07-19)
Old 09-07-19, 10:22 AM
Truly55
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just recorded some music from the ML playing a CD. The sound from the front and rear speakers is equal with the fader set in the middle and surround on. If I could find a way to upload it I'd do it now for you.

Truly55
Old 10-03-19, 06:53 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

guys, i signed an agreement to buy the 2019 ES without listening to the audio and only saw this problem now. I havent actually picked up the car yet, but paid a 3k deposit already. What should i do? Is it possible if i tell them i want a 2020 instead?
Old 10-03-19, 09:54 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by clqw
guys, i signed an agreement to buy the 2019 ES without listening to the audio and only saw this problem now. I havent actually picked up the car yet, but paid a 3k deposit already. What should i do? Is it possible if i tell them i want a 2020 instead?
I would suggest you listen to it first and decide for yourself if it is going to be a problem for you. I am certainly not an audiophile and only have the standard stereo, but neither my wife or I feel there is any problem with the stereo. There are too many that do have issue with their rear speakers to think it is an isolated issue, but there are also many that just don’t experience an issue. Try it for yourself but if you aren’t happy I would think you could get your deposit refunded.
Old 10-04-19, 02:59 AM
horsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no assurance that the 2020 version is different because Lexus insists that the 10 speaker system was designed so that you only hear sound from the front speakers. There is no surround sound effect in this car. The balance cannot be adjusted. If you are used to sound that fills up the car and is not directional, then you will not like the sound that seems to only come from front windshield. Try an Acura.

I hope the 2020 sound is different. That shows that Lexus can fix the problem and recognizes they made a mistake with the 2019.
Old 10-04-19, 05:14 AM
faet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back and listen to it on all sources. Or at least the sources you generally listen to. Radio and bluetooth I felt were pretty bad. XM was Okay. And I was fine with CarPlay/usb. It is noticeable at lower volumes but overall it wasn't a deal breaker and I was fine with it.
Old 10-04-19, 10:20 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Make sure you get a vehicle with the optional Mark Levinson sound system. The standard Pioneer sound system is crap.
Old 10-04-19, 11:38 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Make sure you get a vehicle with the optional Mark Levinson sound system. The standard Pioneer sound system is crap.
i got the stock pioneer - no option for the ML system here in canada until u get to the top trim.
Old 10-04-19, 01:07 PM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also check here and elsewhere for the "rumor"(report) that Lexus is adding an amp for the rear speakers in 2020 beginning with October production. They are supposedly going to retrofit 2019 vehicles. THIS HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED BY LEXUS YET. Hopefully, this report is true and Lexus is stepping up to the plate to make things right.
Old 10-04-19, 04:02 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Just came back from the dealership and tested the stock speakers - definitely front emphasized. Sitting in the front, the sound is not bad at all - full and good spatial separation. Sitting in the back, you can definitely hear the sound is mostly coming from the front, with lesser sound coming from the speakers in the back. Sitting in the back, i felt the ''concert'' effect where the band is playing and im in the audience. Contrary to the salesman stating the system resembles a surround home theatre, it more so resembles a good 3.1 setup (left, right, middle and base). The sound becomes inaudible when moving the fader to the back.

Sound can bounce around in an enclosed cabin and mimicks surround sound effect - and i think thats what lexus was going for. Unfortunately, it's poorly implemented. There are big speaker grills in the doors where little sound comes from which doesnt really make any sense. Worst of all, u cant switch the sound just to the back, which i feel is close to being defective.

This is a flawed interpretation of a neat concept. No car audio source is truly 5.1, we arent watching a movie in the car with dolby 5.1 surround, where different sounds are coming from different speakers. Music and radio (stereo source) should always be sent to each speaker channel equally, with possible adjustment in the console. And this system doesnt allow that. Is it a deal breaker for me? No, as this is my daily commuter and I'm usually the only one in it. The sound in the front is more than adequate, and the sound sitting in the back will take some time getting used to. If Lexus can fix the lack of option for actually fading the sound position (front and back), i'd be delighted.
The following users liked this post:
FTBoomer (10-05-19)