ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - Can it Resume on Its Own after Stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 02:06 PM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - Can it Resume on Its Own after Stopping?

Hi everyone, I'd really like to know if the 2019 ES "All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control" allows the car - when driving in stop and go highway traffic - to come to a complete stop and then resume by itself when the vehicle ahead starts moving again?

I've pasted what I can find on the Lexus website below. It talks about coming to a complete stop, but does not explicitly state if the system will remain engaged and resume on its own.

Hoping someone with the car who has experienced this will respond.

Thanks!

ALL-SPEED DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL
This system uses radar and camera technology to help you maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead. Whether at highway speeds or in stop-and-go traffic, the system is designed to detect if you get closer than the preset distance and automatically slow your vehicle—even to a complete stop. If driving at highway speeds and the road ahead clears, your Lexus returns to its preset speed.

Last edited by scoresman; 10-19-18 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 04:22 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

I think you have to push the resume button for the cruise control and it will begin accelerating.
Old 10-19-18, 05:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by scoresman
Hi everyone, I'd really like to know if the 2019 ES "All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control" allows the car - when driving in stop and go highway traffic - to come to a complete stop and then resume by itself when the vehicle ahead starts moving again?

I've pasted what I can find on the Lexus website below. It talks about coming to a complete stop, but does not explicitly state if the system will remain engaged and resume on it's own.

Hoping someone with the car who has experienced this will respond.

Thanks!

ALL-SPEED DYNAMIC RADAR CRUISE CONTROL
This system uses radar and camera technology to help you maintain a preset speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead. Whether at highway speeds or in stop-and-go traffic, the system is designed to detect if you get closer than the preset distance and automatically slow your vehicle—even to a complete stop. If driving at highway speeds and the road ahead clears, your Lexus returns to its preset speed.
it works that way in the RX unless you turn it off so I presume same case for the ES.
Old 10-20-18, 05:18 PM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both. I took a test drive today and can confirm you can tap the resume button or the accelerator and the cruise control will resume.
Old 10-20-18, 05:46 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you both. I took a test drive today and can confirm you can tap the resume button or the accelerator and the cruise control will resume.
How was the test drive?
Old 10-20-18, 06:14 PM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

The car is amazing, as others have detailed in other threads. It is disappointing Lexus chose to not include folding mirrors, as many have commented. My dealer is holding an ES 300h Ultra Luxury (Atomic Silver / Black). Meanwhile, I'm actually considering a car that's not a direct competitor, but that offers all the features at 40 MPG highway (mileage is important to me) and for $25,000 less - the 2019 VW Jetta SEL Premium. VW has done a great job, and is obviously trying to recover from "Dieselgate." It's the smart choice, with a 6-year / 72,000 mile warranty; although a bit smaller and without the luxury brand image. Not sure what I'm gonna do
Old 10-20-18, 07:02 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The car is amazing, as others have detailed in other threads. It is disappointing Lexus chose to not include folding mirrors, as many have commented. My dealer is holding an ES 300h Ultra Luxury (Atomic Silver / Black). Meanwhile, I'm actually considering a car that's not a direct competitor, but that offers all the features at 40 MPG highway (mileage is important to me) and for $25,000 less - the 2019 VW Jetta SEL Premium. VW has done a great job, and is obviously trying to recover from "Dieselgate." It's the smart choice, with a 6-year / 72,000 mile warranty; although a bit smaller and without the luxury brand image. Not sure what I'm gonna do
Definitely different class of car but I'm a fan of VW if you decide to go that way.
Old 11-07-18, 04:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

When the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control slows you down without fully stopping it will resume
following without any need to touch a control. If you come to a complete stop then you just
tap the cruise resume button or the throttle pedal. Some input is required to avoid a mishap...
imagine if you fully stopped behind a car that then turned right on red...would not want the car
to just sprint on out into cross traffic, right?
Old 11-17-18, 11:14 PM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it resume by flooring the gas until set speed or was it a gradual increase. Is there a setting for changing throttle used?
Old 11-18-18, 07:41 AM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

Gradual, which I was glad to see. Because my LC500 accelerates harder than I'd like when someone in front of me changes lanes and there's open road ahead.
Old 11-18-18, 08:49 AM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

Gradual, which I was glad to see. Because my LC500 accelerates harder than I'd like when someone in front of me changes lanes and there's open road ahead.
This is great! Thanks. Venture to guess at % throttle?
Old 11-18-18, 01:23 PM
scoresman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alexglee
This is great! Thanks. Venture to guess at % throttle?
35%, a smooth, slower experience for stop and go traffic.
Old 11-19-18, 11:06 AM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

35%, a smooth, slower experience for stop and go traffic.
Excellent! The GLK does this full throttle thing for matching speed - either decelerating or accelerating.
Old 11-20-18, 04:00 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

On the subject of starting and stopping, I really like the HOLD feature, letting you take your foot off the brake pedal at traffic lights or in traffic. Once set, it remains active until you shut off the ignition, or press the hold button again.
Old 11-20-18, 07:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
On the subject of starting and stopping, I really like the HOLD feature, letting you take your foot off the brake pedal at traffic lights or in traffic. Once set, it remains active until you shut off the ignition, or press the hold button again.
My RX has that but I never use it. Have to try it out.

Quick Reply: All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - Can it Resume on Its Own after Stopping?