ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

One week with my ES 300H

Old 11-10-18, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut

What are your sources for this information? It is my understanding that the battery technology depends on the trim level and only the higher trim levels have the lithium ion batteries. Previous to the current gen of these vehicles, only the plug-in Prius had lithium ion. This is per Green Reports and no personal insight as my Priuses and Lexuses have all had nickel metal hydride batteries.
Toyota.com. The cheapest Camry hybrid has the lithium while the higher ends do not. The cheaper Camry hybrids also come with superior fuel economy numbers.
Old 11-11-18, 08:55 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota.com. The cheapest Camry hybrid has the lithium while the higher ends do not. The cheaper Camry hybrids also come with superior fuel economy numbers.
That's because of weight and space reasons. Apparently the cheapest Camry hybrid has a smaller capacity and lighter battery pack; combined with less equipment and smaller rims, it gets better mileage than higher spec models with NiMH cells. For the duty cycle in Toyota hybrids, it doesn't really matter if lithium ion or NiMH cells are used because only 40% of the total capacity is utilized.Toyota are doing this because of economies of scale and doubts over lithium ion longevity. Tesla still has the best battery and thermal management systems around. Toyota doesn't want to do large PHEVs because they're more like compliance cars that get dire mileage once their battery packs are depleted.Anyway, for a lot of tech-focused drivers like me, it's hard to go back to a normal car once you've driven a hybrid.
Old 11-11-18, 06:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Anyway, for a lot of tech-focused drivers like me, it's hard to go back to a normal car once you've driven a hybrid.
Very true!
Old 11-12-18, 02:47 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Why is it that you always misrepresent or conveniently not reveal all of the details of the that facts when it comes to Toyota hybrids? The current Camry hybrid has both a lithium battery and a sealed nickel-metal hydride battery, depending on what model you buy. The regular Prius is a nickel-metal hydride battery. The Prius Prime is only available with a lithium battery.
Why is it that you must disagree with everything I post?
Old 11-13-18, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Why is it that you must disagree with everything I post?
I did not disagree. I was just curious as to why you had left out the fact that lithium ion batteries are available across the Camry line as well as the Prius line. I apologize if I offended you

Following up to my post, there were a few responses regarding it:

Originally Posted by chromedome
That's because of weight and space reasons. Apparently the cheapest Camry hybrid has a smaller capacity and lighter battery pack; combined with less equipment and smaller rims, it gets better mileage than higher spec models with NiMH cells. For the duty cycle in Toyota hybrids, it doesn't really matter if lithium ion or NiMH cells are used because only 40% of the total capacity is utilized.Toyota are doing this because of economies of scale and doubts over lithium ion longevity. Tesla still has the best battery and thermal management systems around. Toyota doesn't want to do large PHEVs because they're more like compliance cars that get dire mileage once their battery packs are depleted.Anyway, for a lot of tech-focused drivers like me, it's hard to go back to a normal car once you've driven a hybrid.
Originally Posted by TechNut
What are your sources for this information? It is my understanding that the battery technology depends on the trim level and only the higher trim levels have the lithium ion batteries. Previous to the current gen of these vehicles, only the plug-in Prius had lithium ion. This is per Green Reports and no personal insight as my Priuses and Lexuses have all had nickel metal hydride batteries.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-13-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 08:54 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I did not disagree. I was just curious as to why you had left out the fact that lithium ion batteries are available across the Camry line as well as the Prius line. I apologize if I offended you

Following up to my post, there were a few responses regarding it:
You need to learn to be much less in-your-face aggressive when responding. Your responses come out as personal attacks, which is not conducive to civil, productive discussions.