ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 01:47 PM
DelLexusSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem

I recently purchased a 2019 Lexus ES 300h with the standard 10 speaker Pioneer system. I previously owned a 2015 same model. I was always happy with the sound system in my 2015, and assumed that the 2019 would be equal or better than my 2015. The issue I am running across is that the rear speakers let out about 10-20% of the sound that the front speakers do. When I play music, it's all coming out of the front speakers, and very little comes out of the back. I adjusted the fader, and if I adjust it to the back speakers only, you can barely hear the music even at a high volume. I took it back to Lexus, and they said I was the third complaint on this issue. We walked over to another new model on the lot and it had the same issue. Lexus is looking into it. Let me know if you have heard about this issue, and if there is a resolution. I love everything about this car, but these rear speakers do not seem to be working correctly. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
DDupuis (11-26-19)
Old 10-09-18, 02:01 PM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DelLexusSD
I recently purchased a 2019 Lexus ES 300h with the standard 10 speaker Pioneer system. I previously owned a 2015 same model. I was always happy with the sound system in my 2015, and assumed that the 2019 would be equal or better than my 2015. The issue I am running across is that the rear speakers let out about 10-20% of the sound that the front speakers do. When I play music, it's all coming out of the front speakers, and very little comes out of the back. I adjusted the fader, and if I adjust it to the back speakers only, you can barely hear the music even at a high volume. I took it back to Lexus, and they said I was the third complaint on this issue. We walked over to another new model on the lot and it had the same issue. Lexus is looking into it. Let me know if you have heard about this issue, and if there is a resolution. I love everything about this car, but these rear speakers do not seem to be working correctly. Thanks!
There's no issue with the car, this is how the system is built by design. See below! There's only two small 9cm speakers in the rear doors and the subwoofer mounted to the rear deck.

MorrisGray (10-16-18)
Old 10-09-18, 03:48 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I too noticed on 3 2019 es that I couldn’t adjust the rear speakers enough to balance the sound. Not a problem on my 2016 es. Very strange.maybe I’m not doing it correctly.

Last edited by jstagn; 10-09-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 03:53 PM
SuperMido
Driver

Originally Posted by jstagn
I too noticed on 3 2019 es that I couldn’t adjust the rear speakers enough to balance the sound. Not a problem on my 2016 es. Very strange.maybe I’m not doing it correctly.
Maybe you should read my post above...
Old 10-09-18, 06:14 PM
jstagn
Rookie

So what you are saying by design you can’t adjust the front and rear (fader) so they sound equal from the drivers seat, unlike my 2016 es and 2016 rx non Mark Levinson?
Old 10-09-18, 06:29 PM
SuperMido
Driver

So what you are saying by design you can’t adjust the front and rear (fader) so they sound equal from the drivers seat, unlike my 2016 es and 2016 rx non Mark Levinson?
Yes! It's just the logic when you look at the speaker setup. In previous iterations; they have been utilizing larger mid range speakers mounted to the rear deck as-well. So you would be able to get that balance.

Now, you have 2 mid range, 1 center, and 2 woofers in the front. And just 2 mid range in the rear (subwoofer doesn't count, because its a subwoofer....).

I do NOT agree with the design Lexus, Pioneer, and even Mark Levinson (the ML system uses very similar architecture) used for this generation. But this is what they chose to do...And there's NOTHING that can be done to properly balance those 2 new systems for equal output at the front and rear (3rd party and DIY stuff is a different story). We can only complain so in the future they sort it out. Sadly, this is what everyone who buys this generation ES will have to deal with (me included in December).

Edit: And in case you're wondering, I did test drive the 2019 ES twice so far, and tried both the standard and ML audio systems. And yes, both of them are front biased. I'm pretty tech savvy, and I took my sweet time looking at all the possible settings. And thats just the way it is. Luckily for me though, I don't really mind the front bias, and can still enjoy my music this way. But can totally understand if it doesn't work for others.

Last edited by SuperMido; 10-09-18 at 06:34 PM.
MorrisGray (10-16-18)
Old 10-09-18, 06:41 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Well then this is a design ‘error ‘ or whatever you want to call it, and Lexus IS going to have to deal with the fallout and bad press. So they will eventually have a fix or the marketplace will have a fix. Most people will hate this, since this is ‘new’. Every car I owned since 1964 had a decent fader system, this one sucks in my opinion. Shame on Lexus, maybe a design error? Thanks for the clarification I thought maybe I didn’t know how to adjust correctly.
DDupuis (11-26-19)
Old 10-09-18, 07:02 PM
SuperMido
Driver

Well then this is a design ‘error ‘ or whatever you want to call it, and Lexus IS going to have to deal with the fallout and bad press. So they will eventually have a fix or the marketplace will have a fix. Most people will hate this, since this is ‘new’. Every car I owned since 1964 had a decent fader system, this one sucks in my opinion. Shame on Lexus, maybe a design error? Thanks for the clarification I thought maybe I didn’t know how to adjust correctly.
Sorry to say it like this, but the press is garbage...Every review I read or heard about this car was all about how incredible the sound system was. That's if it was even mentioned in the review...When in reality its a pretty average sound system (with the balancing thing aside).

I'm sure people will come up with solutions, but chances are they'll be the warranty voiding ones. And honestly, when you buy a car at that price range, you expect it work stock from factory the way it should (at leas thats how I see it). As far as Lexus doing anything about it, highly doubt, you simply need to add more speakers. I don't seem them doing that!

Was it a design error? I doubt that too! It looks to me like it was intended/cost cutting stuff here. They tried to use the least number of speaker designs in the car to reduce research, and manufacturing costs for the new systems. To balance it out, they would've needed to come up with a 4th speaker type to be used on both the left and right sides of the rear deck of the car. So they simply didnt!

Please look at this diagram below, its for the ML system, it'll explain my points better. Look at how they lowered down the number of different driver types from 5 in the 6th gen to 3 types in this generation.

Last edited by SuperMido; 10-09-18 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 08:48 PM
DelLexusSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your great input on this. Although I am very disappointed with this new sound system layout in the 2019, I still love all of the other changes made to this car. This is my 5th Lexus, and I have loved each one. I'll have to live with this system for a few years.
Old 10-10-18, 04:51 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm surprised there's a big difference between rear and front speakers. On the 6th gen ES, I keep my fader set at +1. These systems are designed to have the best sound for the front seats so most speakers are at the front, with only two door speakers and a sub at the back.
Old 10-10-18, 08:26 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DelLexusSD
The issue I am running across is that the rear speakers let out about 10-20% of the sound that the front speakers do. When I play music, it's all coming out of the front speakers, and very little comes out of the back.
Hmmm only 10-20% of the sound from the back sounds horrible... Lacking the "surround sound" feel in the cabin takes a lot away from the music. I'll need to test it out at the dealership before I commit to buy.
Old 10-13-18, 08:18 AM
VLexus22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just purchased the 2019 ES 350 and this is my 3rd one in a row, 2011 and 2105 owned before. I was so excited to get this car! Test drove it, without listening to the Stereo, bought it, took delivery and then turned on the radio for the first time...I was really upset that the Fader wasn't working and have made it a huge issue to the dealership. It is going in for service on 10/15 to do a diagonsitc test...but it seems this is actually designed this way, which I am driving around without the radio on because I absolutely hate the sound system.

So the question is how do you upgrade the sound system to allow for rear speakers to work properly for a balanced sound? I was told you can't just swamp out the speakers in the back because of the new digital stereo system. The only advice I have gotten so far is to add a subwoofer box in the trunk with a seperate amp and a bass tuner **** in the front off the console.

The last thing I wanted to do is turn a brand new car into some ghetto street ride! This also does not have a surround sound feel to it either....the other thing i'm thinking about is playing Pandora from my phone and bluetooth to a Bose portable speaker in the car. I really hope Lexus can come up with a way to configure the digital computer to add more fader for the rear.
Old 10-13-18, 11:32 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VLexus22
I also just purchased the 2019 ES 350 and this is my 3rd one in a row, 2011 and 2105 owned before. I was so excited to get this car! Test drove it, without listening to the Stereo, bought it, took delivery and then turned on the radio for the first time...I was really upset that the Fader wasn't working and have made it a huge issue to the dealership. It is going in for service on 10/15 to do a diagonsitc test...but it seems this is actually designed this way, which I am driving around without the radio on because I absolutely hate the sound system.

So the question is how do you upgrade the sound system to allow for rear speakers to work properly for a balanced sound? I was told you can't just swamp out the speakers in the back because of the new digital stereo system. The only advice I have gotten so far is to add a subwoofer box in the trunk with a seperate amp and a bass tuner **** in the front off the console.

The last thing I wanted to do is turn a brand new car into some ghetto street ride! This also does not have a surround sound feel to it either....the other thing i'm thinking about is playing Pandora from my phone and bluetooth to a Bose portable speaker in the car. I really hope Lexus can come up with a way to configure the digital computer to add more fader for the rear.
Thatt sounds horrible. I wonder if the ML system is as bad....
Old 10-13-18, 12:51 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMido
Sorry to say it like this, but the press is garbage...Every review I read or heard about this car was all about how incredible the sound system was. That's if it was even mentioned in the review...When in reality its a pretty average sound system (with the balancing thing aside).

I'm sure people will come up with solutions, but chances are they'll be the warranty voiding ones. And honestly, when you buy a car at that price range, you expect it work stock from factory the way it should (at leas thats how I see it). As far as Lexus doing anything about it, highly doubt, you simply need to add more speakers. I don't seem them doing that!

Was it a design error? I doubt that too! It looks to me like it was intended/cost cutting stuff here. They tried to use the least number of speaker designs in the car to reduce research, and manufacturing costs for the new systems. To balance it out, they would've needed to come up with a 4th speaker type to be used on both the left and right sides of the rear deck of the car. So they simply didnt!

Please look at this diagram below, its for the ML system, it'll explain my points better. Look at how they lowered down the number of different driver types from 5 in the 6th gen to 3 types in this generation.

Your explanation is excellent and makes perfect sense. Although not perfect sense to ES buyers. I'm wondering if any of the other luxury manufacturers have gone on to modify their systems as well. Vehicles such as Infiniti, Volvo, Benz, Audi, etc... Does anyone have any knowledge as to how their sound systems perform as compared to the "new" ES system.
My 2013 has the premium system and I was planning to upgrade to the ML system but now have reservations... Don't want to pay extra for sound that's probably equal to that in the 2013...
Rwood1023 (06-11-19)
Old 10-13-18, 01:27 PM
SuperMido
Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Your explanation is excellent and makes perfect sense. Although not perfect sense to ES buyers. I'm wondering if any of the other luxury manufacturers have gone on to modify their systems as well. Vehicles such as Infiniti, Volvo, Benz, Audi, etc... Does anyone have any knowledge as to how their sound systems perform as compared to the "new" ES system.
My 2013 has the premium system and I was planning to upgrade to the ML system but now have reservations... Don't want to pay extra for sound that's probably equal to that in the 2013...
The ones I've experienced are Infiniti and Benz. Infiniti with its Bose is GARBAGE/JUNK stay away from that if you're looking for Audio quality.

Benz, I've been in the new E class with the $4500.00 Burmester upgrade. That is a whole different experience, and NO other car can even rival it...It blew me away. I sat in the Lexus LS500 with ML 23 speakers and didn't even hold a candle to the E class Burmester. I wonder what the S-class is like with the $6500 Burmester upgrade. Lol

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem