ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem

Old 03-02-19, 02:37 PM
MisterZer0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, the passengers in the rear seat must suffer through poor sound quality through the tinny, tiny speakers? I feel bad for my pre-teen when she's sitting back there because she's as much of a music aficionado as I am.

This sound system is just not adequate for a luxury 4-door sedan. Very poorly designed.
Old 03-02-19, 03:39 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,208 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterZer0
So, the passengers in the rear seat must suffer through poor sound quality through the tinny, tiny speakers? I feel bad for my pre-teen when she's sitting back there because she's as much of a music aficionado as I am.

This sound system is just not adequate for a luxury 4-door sedan. Very poorly designed.
Huh? Do you know what poor sound quality means? She can't hear the front speakers from the back and must suffer?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-03-19 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Politics commentary ONLY in the debate forum please
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (03-03-19)
Old 03-02-19, 06:03 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,678 Posts

This thread has become comical.
Tootsall (11-27-19)
Old 03-06-19, 05:48 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DelLexusSD
I recently purchased a 2019 Lexus ES 300h with the standard 10 speaker Pioneer system. I previously owned a 2015 same model. I was always happy with the sound system in my 2015, and assumed that the 2019 would be equal or better than my 2015. The issue I am running across is that the rear speakers let out about 10-20% of the sound that the front speakers do. When I play music, it's all coming out of the front speakers, and very little comes out of the back. I adjusted the fader, and if I adjust it to the back speakers only, you can barely hear the music even at a high volume. I took it back to Lexus, and they said I was the third complaint on this issue. We walked over to another new model on the lot and it had the same issue. Lexus is looking into it. Let me know if you have heard about this issue, and if there is a resolution. I love everything about this car, but these rear speakers do not seem to be working correctly. Thanks!
I got a 2019 es300h luxury standard system for loaner today and the rear speaker hardly putting out any sound even when I adjusted the fader to the rear . something is wrong with this system I agree
my 2019 es300h ultra luxury with mark levinson system does not have this problem but did blow the passenger upper door speaker and the whole system cuts out, its in the shop

Philip

2019 ES300h UL eminent white pearl/chateau
2019 NX300h L
eminent white pearl/crème

gone away
2016 ES300h UL eminent white pearl/parchment
2015 NX300h L atomic silver/black

Old 03-07-19, 07:04 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMido
There's no issue with the car, this is how the system is built by design. See below! There's only two small 9cm speakers in the rear doors and the subwoofer mounted to the rear deck.

he is correct there is hardly any sound coming out of the rear door speakers
if you fade it to the rear you can barely hear
Old 03-09-19, 10:46 PM
DelLexusSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Why would they recall every 2019 to fix something that is working as designed? That's one recall I'd adamantly deny. I love the ML stereo.

One way of knowing how the rear speakers play is to listen to them before buying the car! How hard is this?

i ordered my car before they even had one on the lot to test drive. This was my 5th Lexus, so I mistakenly assumed the 2019 would be equal or better than previous generations. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve done a lot of amazing changes to this generation. It’s probably the only reason why I have not raised more of a fuss with Lexus about the stereo problem. I think we’ve all learned our lesson at this point to really thoroughly test drive a car before we make a purchase. Lexus has always been such high-quality amazing vehicles in the past I never question the next generation. I’ve learned my lesson this time around.
Old 03-09-19, 11:01 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Waiting for my special order has been killing me(ordered in October). I went in a few days ago to check on my order and there was an F Sport there that had the Mark Levinson system. I order the UL hybrid but also the Mark Levinson. I ordered my car before coming to this site and didn't remember noticing any issues when I started reading the complaints here. I figured since I was there and there was an ES with Mark Levinson right there in the new show room (my dealer just built a whole new dealership) I'd listen again.

After listening again I don't regret my decision at all. Yes, it is a little front biased but no where near the point where it takes away from the sound. It sounded excellent and have a great immersion in the music. The claims that fading all the way to the back resulted in almost no sound from the back speakers is wildly over exaggerated.
dklanecky1 (03-10-19)
Old 03-11-19, 07:04 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Not even thinking about the incredible variety of music, musical preferences are still HIGHLY personal. Yet some of the complaints about the ML system surprise me. I agree that the system seems front biased, and being able to adjust for a rear bias for those that prefer it that way, would probably be a good idea. But to say that the rear speakers don't have enough sound even on full rear adjustment seems unfair based on my experience. I have not adjusted in any rear bias in my car, and agree that much of the sound comes from the front the majority of the time. I believe that part of the reason for this is that some recordings simply either don't use the back channel, or don't emphasize it as much. On our way to a family dinner Sat night, a song came up where the vocals were in the back. It was almost disconcerting, and I kept looking over my left shoulder to see why it was so prominent. I actually started to think something was wrong, because I could hear almost nothing from the front! It seemed like the voices were coming in my window! The upper speaker in the back door is right behind my ear, and I was thinking there was too much rear bias. I realized it was the way the music was recorded when an instrument only section of the song came up, and guitar was coming from the front. All I could hear from the back was a snare drum, until the vocals came back. The next song came up, and everything was back to the normal front bias (which I prefer), but knowing the back speakers were working as expected, I started to notice highlights coming from the back. It was really great!

My point is .... not all music is recorded the same, and neither is the music source. Find something that you KNOW uses the back channel on another system, and put it on a CD or USB drive to see if it's the same in your car. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've been trying out Amazon Music on my phone, over Bluetooth. Maybe rear channel is used less frequently on FM or Satellite due to bandwidth limitations, or something. I'm a long way from being an audiophile, but I'm wondering if maybe the issue people are experiencing isn't the sound system, but the music source instead?

One other thing I just thought of. I wonder if adjusting the system balance fully to the rear isn't defeating the purpose. I remember that in the old days of stereo, if music was mixed so that guitars (for example) were supposed to be coming out of the left channel, you could ALMOST eliminate them by turning all of the balance to the right side. You might think there was something wrong with your system. A lot of the Beatles music was recorded using discreet channels. Listen to the White Album. I remember one song where they keep moving the balance between the left and right channels (it was the 70s!!).

Last edited by Woodrow; 03-11-19 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 07:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
... I believe that part of the reason for this is that some recordings simply either don't use the back channel, or don't emphasize it as much. ...
All CD's are stereo, or 2ch. There is no "back channel" in stereo. When you hear something coming out of only the rear speaker, it's because you have the surround DSP set to On. The system will send certain frequency ranges to select speakers. One of the reasons why I always turn surround Off, as it is not natural.
Old 03-11-19, 01:05 PM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL Discreet channels... I remember , The Who , Eminence Front.... Pete Towsends vocals were strictly left channel... we had all kindsa fun driving to pre Karaoke and singing with our own lyrics which are stritcly banned from this forum.
Old 04-01-19, 08:48 AM
Snevets69
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife picked up her new 2019 ES350 in November and was immediately underwhelmed by the sound system. It was noticeably inferior to the sound in her previous car which was a 2016 ES. She contacted Lexus to complain. After reading related comments in this forum I assumed the sound system was performing as designed and that nothing could be done to improve it. We were very surprised therefore to receive a call from our local Lexus service department asking us to make an appointment to replace the existing audio amp with a new prototype in an attempt to improve the audio. The prototype was installed this morning and although there was no drastic improvement it is good to see that Lexus has acknowledged there is an issue with the 2019 ES350 audio and is actively trying to address it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Snevets69:
kalel2127 (04-01-19), MSterling (04-01-19)
Old 04-01-19, 10:22 AM
MSterling
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snevets69
My wife picked up her new 2019 ES350 in November and was immediately underwhelmed by the sound system. It was noticeably inferior to the sound in her previous car which was a 2016 ES. She contacted Lexus to complain. After reading related comments in this forum I assumed the sound system was performing as designed and that nothing could be done to improve it. We were very surprised therefore to receive a call from our local Lexus service department asking us to make an appointment to replace the existing audio amp with a new prototype in an attempt to improve the audio. The prototype was installed this morning and although there was no drastic improvement it is good to see that Lexus has acknowledged there is an issue with the 2019 ES350 audio and is actively trying to address it.
When you mentioned contacting Lexus, what was the contact information - phone/email ?
Old 04-01-19, 11:27 AM
Snevets69
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSterling
When you mentioned contacting Lexus, what was the contact information - phone/email ?
I think she started with 800-255-3987.
MSterling (04-01-19)
Old 05-30-19, 07:24 PM
joeborden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SuperMido: That just sounds wrong! I have a 2016 ES with no issues. Several people on Edmunds have complained about the sound, stock or ML. If what you say is a new adoption, then they need to redesign or something; there will be a lot of us that won't get another ES 350. The one I have leased is my second, and I would like to get another one; however, sound system is very important for me, and, as is, it's a no-go!

Last edited by joeborden; 05-30-19 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-31-19, 09:59 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by joeborden
SuperMido: That just sounds wrong! I have a 2016 ES with no issues. Several people on Edmunds have complained about the sound, stock or ML. If what you say is a new adoption, then they need to redesign or something; there will be a lot of us that won't get another ES 350. The one I have leased is my second, and I would like to get another one; however, sound system is very important for me, and, as is, it's a no-go!

If after listening to the ML system anyone thinks it's not loud enough I suggest one of two things, either have your ears examine or get an aftermarket sound system. Unless you have a defective unit the ML system is plenty loud.

None of my family or friends have ever complained that they can't hear the music from the back seat. In fact, with the windows down at almost max volume you can easily hear the music over 100ft away, BTW this is before I installed a couple of subwoofers.

If the sound is so important to you my suggestion is to go with an aftermarket sound system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem