ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Thoughts on Mark Levinson system

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 05:07 PM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Thoughts on Mark Levinson system

I recently purchased a 2019 Lexus ES 300H with the Mark Levinson audio system. I read most, if not all, of the reviews and watched just about every online video pertaining to the system. Some of the reviews were negative saying that it wasn't worth it and that the sound wasn't much better than the regular 10 speaker system that comes standard. So, I went to my local dealer and put one of my cds in a Mark Levinson system in one of their 2019 ES 300h's. I recalled thinking how pathetic it sounded. Not at all like some of the reviewer comments that said it was fabulous and one of the best on the market. So, I decided to look for a 300H without the Mark Levinson system. Why, I asked myself would I spend the extra money on a system that I felt was inferior.

When I finally found a ES 300h that I really liked, lo and behold, it had the Mark Levinson system in it. I figured that I was spending $50,000.....so I'd go for it. And I did. When I first tested it out Pandora (Jazz) sounded really good. Much better than that cd I'd tried previously. Sirius Radio didn't sound too bad either.

But then, I remembered a friend suggesting that I get a few well recorded CD's to play in it. So I did. And, WOW!!!...did they sound awesome! My friend was right on. They sounded like I was right in the room with the musicians. Great surround sound and spatial separation. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The best car audio I have ever heard...bar none.

My final verdict. The quality that you'll get from your Mark Levinson system is a direct function of what you put into it. Put in crap (mp3) and that's what you'll get coming out of it. But put in a well recorded CD and you will be a true believer! Try it and see for yourself.

Do a search for best recorded CDs and you'll find many online. And by the way, I also recommend the Lexus ES 300h. It's whisper quiet and an absolutely wonderful car that has a ride to kill for. Check it out.

Last edited by wmogolov; 10-19-18 at 03:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
amcohen (11-02-18)
Old 10-04-18, 05:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the ML does not play the SACD layer. You must be playing a hybrid SACD, which has Red Book (CD) layer also. Do you have any DVD Audio discs (DVD-A)? Those may play on your ML. I can get close to half of mine to play, but not all. Source is everything with this system. I can't tolerate SiriusXM on it.
Old 10-04-18, 05:43 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I said I would never buy a Lexus without Mark Levinson, guess what I just did. The best way I can explain it in my opinion is the Pioneer system is really good, really clear and I was impressed coming from non stop Levinson the last 4 years. I believe the Levinson is more engulfing for sure but if your sitting in the front seat area the Pioneer system is pretty darn good. Both systems are pretty good in my opinion and if you want to spend that extra money and can find one optioned like you want it go for it. I wanted one now and didn't exactly find all the options I wanted but I really don't regret not having it....yet.
Old 10-05-18, 05:28 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by cstone3636
I said I would never buy a Lexus without Mark Levinson, guess what I just did. The best way I can explain it in my opinion is the Pioneer system is really good, really clear and I was impressed coming from non stop Levinson the last 4 years. I believe the Levinson is more engulfing for sure but if your sitting in the front seat area the Pioneer system is pretty darn good. Both systems are pretty good in my opinion and if you want to spend that extra money and can find one optioned like you want it go for it. I wanted one now and didn't exactly find all the options I wanted but I really don't regret not having it....yet.
It's a car not a concert hall. To me the additional $1K or so is not worth it.
Old 10-05-18, 05:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That's why they sell it as an option. I would not purchase an ES without ML. Everybody's different!
Old 10-05-18, 07:16 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Just as a point of reference, I've done several car audio installs on my own and had two bottom-of-the-high-end installs done professionally. You won't be able to do the upgrade for $1,000 aftermarket with good equipment. Yes, a high end aftermarket install will sound better, but will easily cost 4x as much if done professionally. The factory price for the larger amp and all the speakers is pretty good.
Originally Posted by Mike728
That's why they sell it as an option. I would not purchase an ES without ML. Everybody's different!
I'm with you!
The following users liked this post:
amcohen (11-02-18)
Old 10-05-18, 07:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Nice dance to the sound of your ML
Old 10-05-18, 07:36 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Since I plan to buy a 2019 and include the ML system, where are they placing the sub these days and have all of the early issues with it been resolved? Does it take up much room if in the trunk? I never had one...

Old 10-05-18, 07:58 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Since I plan to buy a 2019 and include the ML system, where are they placing the sub these days and have all of the early issues with it been resolved? Does it take up much room if in the trunk? I never had one...
Its all the way in the back, in the upper deck behind the back seats.

The following 2 users liked this post by SuperMido:
amcohen (11-02-18), bc6152 (10-05-18)
Old 10-05-18, 08:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Doesn't the standard system also have a sub mounted to the rear deck? I never had an issue with mine, but I'm not into hip-hop like you.
Old 10-05-18, 08:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Doesn't the standard system also have a sub mounted to the rear deck? I never had an issue with mine, but I'm not into hip-hop like you.
Very funny Mike. No hip-hop for me, I'm just an old fashioned rock and roll guy... And if there's an amp under the rear deck I didn't know it...
I do remember early on that Lexus made changes to the ML system due to complaints. There was a lengthy thread about it.

Old 10-05-18, 08:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Very funny Mike. No hip-hop for me, I'm just an old fashioned rock and roll guy... And if there's an amp under the rear deck I didn't know it...
I do remember early on that Lexus made changes to the ML system due to complaints. There was a lengthy thread about it.
I think the amp is under the seat. The complaints were coming from people wanting excessive bass and cranking the setting to max. The ML system is not designed for that.
Old 10-07-18, 08:01 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After doing further research, I discovered that I had, indeed, been given bad advice from a Lexus Technology person who had assured me that the ML system would play SACD's. I called him back this week to politely tell him that he was wrong and he was very embarrassed. So, yes, Mike728, you are correct. I obviously was playing the Red Book layer...thinking it was SACD. Fortunately, I only bought one cd.

That being said, I certainly am not unhappy with the ML system. I think it sounds significantly better than the Premium system in my '14 ES350. In my opinion, well worth the investment. Of course, everyone has their own opinions and some would disagree. Perhaps, I'm not as much as an audiophile than some of you. But, the fact of the matter is...I am very happy with the ML system.

Thank you, nonetheless, for pointing out my misstatement,
Old 10-08-18, 08:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

I think the amp is under the seat. The complaints were coming from people wanting excessive bass and cranking the setting to max. The ML system is not designed for that.
You didn't have to want excessive bass. You could cut the system to below mid level and the Gen 7 ML Sub would bottom out. I talked to the Manufacture of the Sub and system and He said they don't know how those who produced it missed that problem. It would bottom out even on Rock.

The amp's were re- EQ'd to take power away from the rear subs and shift to front because of it as a fix. If you are out of warranty and wanted it done, it cost $800 plus to send to be done, Not including labor to remove and reinstall. The 7th Gen early model ML's Sucked for that.
Old 10-09-18, 07:48 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
The 7th Gen early model ML's Sucked for that.
7th gen..? You are talking about the 2019 ES?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mark Levinson system