ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

First Impressions in Showroom

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 04:56 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

so funny only the largest launch in 20 years with a struggling 4 door segment that can reinvigorate the brand

nahhh don't learn the car, options etc...
shame on management at dealer that lets sales man on the floor clueless
dealerships deserve everything they are getting when we all shop for price
Old 09-04-18, 05:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
so funny only the largest launch in 20 years with a struggling 4 door segment that can reinvigorate the brand

nahhh don't learn the car, options etc...
shame on management at dealer that lets sales man on the floor clueless
dealerships deserve everything they are getting when we all shop for price
It's probably easier to just focus on the easy pickings from CUV's and SUV's vs. learning about a new (important) sedan.
Old 09-06-18, 08:26 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
Posting a list of things i Liked and don't like about the new ES based on first impressions, gladly post what you think when you see it

1) Car is good looking in person. give it a 8.5 for looks the front grill is better than previous gen but still way over the top
2) interior well thought out comfortable, well designed. the new nav screen really looks stunning embedded into the dash with the layout
3) the leg room in front and rear is really good, went to an ls500 right after and realized how special the ls is but the height to the ceiling was better in the es they really screwed up with the height of seating for head room in new ls
4) Engine compartment i saw was a hybrid, absolutely done to perfection. Car is produced in japan enough to swing me to buy the hybrid to get one produce there
5) Fun Fact: guess the engine oil and bet you 100 tacos if you are right with guess, 5w30 nope 0w30 nope ow20 nope ready for this ow-16 snapped a photo of sticker
6) value at 48k with options seems really compelling with 44mpg combined.. went back to my 5 series wifes ride and my seat was more comfortable than the es350, i want to see how the es ultra luxury seat will feel i will probably order that
6.5) they did a nice job with limiting buttons on dash with new mechanisms that feel great to raise and lower a/c as example and radio button has two functions in volume and tune, excellent ergonomics
7) happy for lexus they look like they hit it out of the park with the car

negatives
1) front grill over done again
2) the nav interface is better in this gen but still way behind IDrive with bmw, i don't get that the japanese obsess with details and can't nail this right
3) little concerned regular es still only gets 26mpg combined with non hybrid
4) headrests seem un adjustable i couldn't move them. i may be wrong
I remember the days when I put 10-40, even 20-50 oil in my old British sports car (1965 Sunbeam Alpine). Occasionally, even a bottle of STP sludge if the oil still wasn't thick enough. Toyota/Lexus's change to 0-20 and now apparently 0-16 was done to help them claim higher and higher EPA mileage numbers. But this does not necessarily mean this change is best for long engine life. If is didn't possibly void my warranty I would rather go back to 0-20, or even 5-20 or 30 and give up a few pennies in added fuel costs. And this would make even more sense for those living in far warmer climates. The only downside might be battery life since the thinner oil has also allowed them to use a smaller battery. Perhaps too small, as my 2014 ES350 battery conked out at just over 3 years whereas in the past my ES-RX batteries have lasted 5-6 years (and replaced before they wore out completely). My 2 cents.

Last edited by sderman; 09-08-18 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-06-18, 12:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I remember the days when I put 10-40, even 20-50 oil in my old British sports car (1965 Sunbeam Alpine). Occasionally, even a bottle of STP sludge if the oil still wasn't thick enough. Toyota/Lexus's change to 0-20 and now apparently 0-16 was done to help them claim lower and lower EPA mileage numbers. But this does not necessarily mean this change is best for long engine life. If is didn't possibly void my warranty I would rather go back to 0-20, or even 5-20 or 30 and give up a few pennies in added fuel costs. And this would make even more sense for those living in far warmer climates. The only downside might be battery life since the thinner oil has also allowed them to use a smaller battery. Perhaps too small, as my 2014 ES350 battery conked out at just over 3 years whereas in the past my ES-RX batteries have lasted 5-6 years (and replaced before they wore out completely). My 2 cents.
I suspect the modern engines are designed to handle this thin oil and any thicker would likely do more harm than good.
Old 09-07-18, 04:10 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I was sending my 6th gen ES300h for servicing when I saw a bunch of 7th gen ES200, ES260 and ES300h parked at my dealer. They're gorgeous cars that look a lot more expensive than they really are. On the outside, I love the the baby LS looks with the triple LEDs and sculpted rear end. On the inside, the increased use of soft touch plastics on the center console and flowing panel shapes make the cabin look and feel much more premium overall than the 6/6.5ES.

That said, the top dash isn't completely covered in stitched soft plastic like before. There's also an annoying hard plastic panel surround for the left air vent. I'm also not a fan of Remote Touch, I've driven RXs and NXs with that setup and it's easily the worst infotainment controller out there. The ES screen is closer to the driver so it should've been a touchscreen. BMW's iDrive is still the easiest to use with a rotary ****, a touchpad and a touchscreen together.

Last edited by chromedome; 09-07-18 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-07-18, 05:39 PM
CJ455

ClubLexus Town Crier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard a lot about the headrests being awkward and hard to adjust. My wife's car has hard to adjust headrests and they are a hassle when we try to put them down in the backseat for better rearview vision.

I do like how comfortable the interior looks.
Old 09-07-18, 08:51 PM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up ES350 2019 rides great! LS500 did not at all!

I have been driving LS 400, 430, 460s for 28 years. Best ride ever. Those days are gone. The LS500 is a nervous air ride that is most unpleasant. The LS500H as it shifts moves you front and backwards in a most nauseous way. The LS500 Sport was better. Still, even if you go over tiny pebbles you feel every pebble like a like slap on your bottom. Its high frequency air ride is set to slap. It hurts. Unlike the LS 430 and 460 which felt like you were taking out the Enterprise, with its surefooted gravitas filled majestic feeling out of the hangar, the LS500 jitters and vibrates and whines with the 6 cylinder. Like an untamed horse on speed. Yuck.

The ES350 2019 feels a lot like the GS350. Not an air ride, but a perfect ride. Dampened enough but you feel the road in a surefooted way. Sometimes the LS460 air ride as great as it is would give you too much feedback over certain obstacles. For example going over a speedbump diagonally, the LS460 would have three sideways dips that would move your stomach left and right. The GS350 would not. The forums on the GS praised the ride. The ES350 2019 felt a lot like a GS, but the ES car was larger which I needed as I am coming from LS models.

I missed a little fancy wood from the LS 460 but the Chateau interior of the ES 2019 gave it the contrast it needed. And some wood.

It had no V8 lag of the LS models, and it goes just fine.

I am frustrated there are no leases in Florida for the ES350, but I see some in the west coast already.

It is gorgeous, like a baby LS, could not be cuter. And the Apple airplay is a must for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by mgauss7:
All4Lexus (09-08-18), signdetres (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 07:38 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mgauss7
I have been driving LS 400, 430, 460s for 28 years. Best ride ever. Those days are gone. The LS500 is a nervous air ride that is most unpleasant. The LS500H as it shifts moves you front and backwards in a most nauseous way. The LS500 Sport was better. Still, even if you go over tiny pebbles you feel every pebble like a like slap on your bottom. Its high frequency air ride is set to slap. It hurts. Unlike the LS 430 and 460 which felt like you were taking out the Enterprise, with its surefooted gravitas filled majestic feeling out of the hangar, the LS500 jitters and vibrates and whines with the 6 cylinder. Like an untamed horse on speed. Yuck.

The ES350 2019 feels a lot like the GS350. Not an air ride, but a perfect ride. Dampened enough but you feel the road in a surefooted way. Sometimes the LS460 air ride as great as it is would give you too much feedback over certain obstacles. For example going over a speedbump diagonally, the LS460 would have three sideways dips that would move your stomach left and right. The GS350 would not. The forums on the GS praised the ride. The ES350 2019 felt a lot like a GS, but the ES car was larger which I needed as I am coming from LS models.

I missed a little fancy wood from the LS 460 but the Chateau interior of the ES 2019 gave it the contrast it needed. And some wood.

It had no V8 lag of the LS models, and it goes just fine.

I am frustrated there are no leases in Florida for the ES350, but I see some in the west coast already.

It is gorgeous, like a baby LS, could not be cuter. And the Apple airplay is a must for me.
Good to hear! But let me ask you something, I'm sure over the years you've also driven the older generations of the ES. At least as loaners. How does the 2019 ES compare to the previous gens in terms of ride quality? Also, which version of the 19 ES350 did you test drive, regular or F-Sport? Thanks!
Old 09-08-18, 09:58 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

First Impressions after a week. I bought the ES300h in Nebula gray with black interior. The car was equipped with the luxury package, ML sound/nav, noise reduction wheels, and rear shade. My prior cars were a 2012 S550 and a 2004 LS430.

On smooth local streets and highway surfaces, the LS430 was quieter than the Mercedes. The new ES300h is an equal to the LS430. Over coarse concrete highways, the S550 was quieter than the LS, but not better than the ES. Over rough streets, the ES is best. The 18 inch noise reduction wheels and Michelin tires perform as advertised. All three cars handle wind noise very well. During acceleration, the four-banger buzz can be heard, but this noise and the start/stop cycles are much better than current Volvo and MB 4-cylinder engines.

Interior dimensions are closer than anticipated. The MB is a little wider, and has about two inches of added rear leg room. The trunk decreases in the following order: LS>ES>MB. Note that all three have some form of a spare tire. The multi-contour seats in the S-Class may be an industry best. The telescoping seat in the LS was widely criticized by owners, myself included. The ES seat with the extension option is a significant improvement for Lexus.

I consider the ES300h to be an excellent combination passenger comfort, quiet handling, and fuel efficiency.
The best description of the acceleration is the term adequate. This is a marked change from the 429hp Mercedes. But this hybrid is meant for fuel efficiency. And it is averaging 45.5 mpg for the first 400 miles of ownership.

The following 3 users liked this post by jfz219:
All4Lexus (09-08-18), bb700092 (09-08-18), reposado2 (09-10-18)
Old 09-08-18, 10:04 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jfz219
First Impressions after a week. I bought the ES300h in Nebula gray with black interior. The car was equipped with the luxury package, ML sound/nav, noise reduction wheels, and rear shade. My prior cars were a 2012 S550 and a 2004 LS430.

On smooth local streets and highway surfaces, the LS430 was quieter than the Mercedes. The new ES300h is an equal to the LS430. Over coarse concrete highways, the S550 was quieter than the LS, but not better than the ES. Over rough streets, the ES is best. The 18 inch noise reduction wheels and Michelin tires perform as advertised. All three cars handle wind noise very well. During acceleration, the four-banger buzz can be heard, but this noise and the start/stop cycles are much better than current Volvo and MB 4-cylinder engines.

Interior dimensions are closer than anticipated. The MB is a little wider, and has about two inches of added rear leg room. The trunk decreases in the following order: LS>ES>MB. Note that all three have some form of a spare tire. The multi-contour seats in the S-Class may be an industry best. The telescoping seat in the LS was widely criticized by owners, myself included. The ES seat with the extension option is a significant improvement for Lexus.

I consider the ES300h to be an excellent combination passenger comfort, quiet handling, and fuel efficiency.
The best description of the acceleration is the term adequate. This is a marked change from the 429hp Mercedes. But this hybrid is meant for fuel efficiency. And it is averaging 45.5 mpg for the first 400 miles of ownership.
Wow, that is impressive! Thanks for your review. But if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a couple questions!

I know you mentioned how quite the ES is over the different types of roads. But how does it compare to the LS and S class in terms of absorbing bumps and imperfections in the road?

also, how is the ML sound system? Thanks!
Old 09-08-18, 11:20 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for that informative review. Putting the ES in comparison to the S550 and LS430 is very helpful.

I have driven the 2017/2018 ES350 as a loaner and found it to sway in the presence of highway crosswinds. My GS is more stable since it is about 300 lbs heavier than the ES and I believe, the LS is even more stable because it is heavier than the GS. In other words, the weight of a vehicle helps stabilize the vehicle in the presence of crosswinds in a highway. Given that the S550 and LS430 are quite heavier (at least 500 lbs more) than your 2019 ES, how stable is your ES compared to them under highway crosswinds?
Old 09-08-18, 12:16 PM
jfz219
Pit Crew

It's hard to beat the comfort of the S-Class air suspension. In the normal setting and with the right tire brand/pressure, the MB sets the standard for road isolation. My car did have one strange flaw. When driving over a drop off (like a rural bridge or RR crossing) the front suspension extension was totally undampened. This produced a loud shutter at full extension. Note also that an S550 weighs 1000 lbs. more and has a much longer wheelbase. Weight, 4matic, and height adjustable suspension combine to manage crosswinds and turbulent buffeting.

I think the new ES suspension, wheel, and tire setup is well engineered for sound, isolation, and general handling. It is certainly better than the C and E class loaner cars that I have driven. Some say that MB can't make a good steel spring suspension. I think that run-flat tires put MB at a disadvantage.

I cannot comment on the ML sound system. I have not had enough play time. Just remember that HIFI is like HD, garbage in is garbage out. Compressed digital satellite and broadcast sources are the limiting factors. We need to choose a good CD and put the ML through it's paces.

Fortunately, we have not had strong winds for road tests.

Old 09-08-18, 09:44 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Quite rare for an S-class owner to go for an ES300h. I'm seeing more S400 and 740e hybrids in my neck of the woods but they're much more expensive than the ES. Their turbo fours aren't as refined as the normally aspirated big four in the ES although they put out 150+ hp more in total.

That mpg number is impressive, I can only get that with really careful town driving on my 6th gen ES300h. I normally get 38 mpg on highways when cruising at 70-80 mph.
Old 09-09-18, 04:36 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

It's frustrating when MBUSA is not selling the latest generation of I-6 and I-4 mild hybrid engines that are available in the EU and U.K.
Old 09-09-18, 06:09 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Its nice to see the passion for the new ES and the passion that Lexus has given its customers over the years

from the interaction on the 7th gen es forum
this car was researched right, made right and packaged right for cost vs value

good for lexus they have a home run

Quick Reply: First Impressions in Showroom