ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Availability of Triple LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 04:46 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMido
I think I agree partly with this. It'll be mostly cosmetic. On the flipside though, I TOTALLY think it's worth the $1500. Just for the looks, in this model the triple beam makes the look of the front end of the car. And the lack of it completely breaks it IMO.
I completely agree as long as the triple LEDs are not significantly worse in performance than the stock LED projectors from behind the wheel; meaning that I can't see a clear degradation in lighting quality with the triple LEDs vs stock then I think they are worth it. The configuration I'm looking at is going to be around $50K easy so the $1.5K is almost just part of the negotiations. The triple LEDs and Apple Carplay are the two main reasons I'm looking at this model year ES350. If it weren't for those, I'd be adding the 2018 ES 350 (with lots of discounts right now) and Camry to the list. I also heard that the 2019 Camry will have Carplay, so with a very similar engine to the 2019 ES 350, the Camry XLE V6 will save me at least $10K or more. Avalon is too big for me and I don't like the reflector LEDs there.

Replacement is a whole different conversation. Do you need to replace the entire headlight assembly or can you just replace the bulbs? (I know what Lexus says but can a mechanic just replace the bulbs?) Not sure if the stock projector LEDs would be that much cheaper. I've also replaced the HID bulbs in my BMW for $99 a piece but the LEDs don't seem that easy. Maybe these will go down in price in the future. Has anyone seen the video of someone taking apart a Corolla LED headlight assembly on youtube? It's like a huge heat sink block.
Old 08-31-18, 06:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jz14
Replacement is a whole different conversation. Do you need to replace the entire headlight assembly or can you just replace the bulbs? (I know what Lexus says but can a mechanic just replace the bulbs?) Not sure if the stock projector LEDs would be that much cheaper. I've also replaced the HID bulbs in my BMW for $99 a piece but the LEDs don't seem that easy. Maybe these will go down in price in the future. Has anyone seen the video of someone taking apart a Corolla LED headlight assembly on youtube? It's like a huge heat sink block.
There's no bulb per se. They're SMD LED modules, which are soldiered usually.
Old 08-31-18, 11:17 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Regarding replacement costs for the triple LEDs... I don't want to scare people here but I did a check on the RX triple beam headlight assembly and found it was around $2,700 each side!!! You can check the parts yourself on google: Left 81150-0E290 and Right 81110-0E290

The 2018 ES headlight assembly is a little over $1,000 each: Left 81070-33A61 and Right 81140-33A61 So we can assume the prices for the 2019 ES 350 stock headlight assembly should be around the same.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (09-01-18)
Old 09-02-18, 06:46 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

For what it’s worth, we love the light output on the triple beam LEDs on our 2016 NX. In fact, that was the final factor during an evening test drive that convinced us to trade from our RX with HIDs. That being said, the triple beams on the ES (and 2017+ NX) are a completely different style of LED so you cannot imply a direct comparison to the ES lights. We did find the lights needed to be adjusted up a bit. They illuminate the edges of the road much better than standard Halogen projectors or HIDs. Now to be fair, we live in a city and don’t do a lot of highway driving, so I may not be the best judge of distance illumination.

My my main points in sharing this (since the lights are a bit different) is that I have faith in Lexus ability to provide good illumination through these lights - and to say I have had no regrets as to the cost. Plus I love the look and absolutely want them if I get another ES.
The following users liked this post:
jz14 (09-03-18)
Old 09-03-18, 09:12 AM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechNut
My my main points in sharing this (since the lights are a bit different) is that I have faith in Lexus ability to provide good illumination through these lights - and to say I have had no regrets as to the cost. Plus I love the look and absolutely want them if I get another ES.
This is really helpful! So far, I have seen mostly positive posts from those who have the triple LEDs in a Lexus car.
Old 09-03-18, 09:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Regarding replacement costs for the triple LEDs... I don't want to scare people here but I did a check on the RX triple beam headlight assembly and found it was around $2,700 each side!!! You can check the parts yourself on google: Left 81150-0E290 and Right 81110-0E290

The 2018 ES headlight assembly is a little over $1,000 each: Left 81070-33A61 and Right 81140-33A61 So we can assume the prices for the 2019 ES 350 stock headlight assembly should be around the same.
I have never heard of the triple beam led headlight failing on a Lexus. Plus it's Lexus not Mercedes-Benz, Japanese have impeccable reliability.

it's been around since the last 2 generations of LS, at least 10 years, so you can only expect them to be that much more improved and reliable, not new technology here, time tested.

Last edited by peasodos; 09-03-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 02:43 PM
TableRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not positive if they are the same, but the 2019 Avalon Limited Hybrid I drove had triple LED headlights and they looked pretty amazing. For Lexus to charge more for them in the ES, I can only imagine/hope they are a step up from the Avalon's.
Old 09-12-18, 11:57 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've driven NXs with triple LEDs and various Hondas with a similar setup. They're insanely bright on high beam and the dipped beam is better than the already-bright HIDs on my 6th gen ES. I would get them simply for the extended high beam range. You can't get laser phosphor lights outside of Europe so these are the next best thing.

Aiming should be done by a properly equipped workshop though. It's painful to get smacked in the retina by stock LEDs that are aimed too high by a garage newbie.
Old 09-13-18, 10:10 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TableRock
I'm not positive if they are the same, but the 2019 Avalon Limited Hybrid I drove had triple LED headlights and they looked pretty amazing. For Lexus to charge more for them in the ES, I can only imagine/hope they are a step up from the Avalon's.
I've looked at some videos and photos of the 2019 Avalon Limited and Touring and don't see how the headlights are similar to the 2019 ES triple LEDs. According to the brochure, the non-Limited and non-Touring are LED reflectors so that's totally different. The Touring and Limited are projectors but look different than the 2019 ES. That said, they do indeed seem to be pretty advanced. The IIHS rated the LED projectors on the Limited and Touring Good while the LED reflectors on the other trims were rated Poor.
Old 09-23-18, 10:18 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus manufacture is pathetic these days, they are not kind to the west coast customers, I’ve searched many time for es300h with triple beam option within 500 miles and more then 300 vehicles popped up for sale and none of them comes with the factory equipped options of the triple beam headlights.

they are selling vanilla es300h to gouged and maximize profits from west coast customers. If any customers wants the triple beam options in the west coast, the closest would be Texas, about 1500 miles from California.

Pathetic, Lexus... so dispointed with your predetermined equipment options and packages for the west coast buyers.
Old 09-23-18, 10:52 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISDINGDONG
I’ve searched many time for es300h with triple beam option within 500 miles and more then 300 vehicles popped up for sale and none of them comes with the factory equipped options of the triple beam headlights.
Which website did you use to do the search?

The last time I visited the nearby dealer here (northern California) the sales guy said the UL trim will have the triple beams added. I got to take a look at one of them that was already sold to a customer. None of the other ones in the showroom had the triple beam option but they were not UL. I'm probably going to have to special order mine although I'm looking to get the UL anyways.
Old 09-24-18, 03:06 AM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which website did you use to do the search?

The last time I visited the nearby dealer here (northern California) the sales guy said the UL trim will have the triple beams added. I got to take a look at one of them that was already sold to a customer. None of the other ones in the showroom had the triple beam option but they were not UL. I'm probably going to have to special order mine although I'm looking to get the UL anyways.
check out car gurus
Old 09-24-18, 08:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Most of the inventory I am seeing so far has the triples. I'd honestly like one without them based on the $1,500 incremental sticker.
Old 09-24-18, 02:02 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Most of the inventory I am seeing so far has the triples. I'd honestly like one without them based on the $1,500 incremental sticker.
Are you looking at F Sport? I think most of those come with triple beam. I just checked car gurus and it looks like most of the ULs and F Sport have triple beams but the base/premium and luxury do not.
Old 09-24-18, 02:48 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Are you looking at F Sport? I think most of those come with triple beam. I just checked car gurus and it looks like most of the ULs and F Sport have triple beams but the base/premium and luxury do not.
Yes but it is in fact an option even on the Fsport.