ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 09:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I sat in one but the dealer wouldnt let me drive it lol. I'm sure it is an awesome car, but when people spend $100k, they will want what they want. More like bragging rights, especially when you have a 2 door sports car/GT. Hardly anybody will be impressed because your car sounds nice or has soft leather. Anyways this is off topic. Back to the lovely ES.
Um, what? One of my coworkers, a pretty dedicated BMW fan, acknowledged that the F cars sound good - and LC IMO sounds even better than those! The NA V-8 sound is definitely a selling point of this car.

Anyway, back to the ES. I was just discussing the ES reveal with the same guy actually, and he said he thought it was "more of the same from Lexus" or something to that effect. While I agree, it does make me wonder what direction Lexus will take with its other sedans. Specifically - it looks like the spindle grill's shape has been made somewhat more curvy, flared out at the bottom. However, that doesn't seem to be the case for the also-brand-new UX.

In fact, the UX's grill seems closer in shape to the current lineup, excluding the LC and LS. I wonder if Lexus will continue to use relatively similar styling to what we are seeing on the current NX, UX, GS, etc. on the soon-to-be-redesigned GS and others?
Old 04-20-18, 10:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

if there's a f-sport es i'm sure they'll make the grille fugly.
Old 04-20-18, 10:21 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So you're saying it isn't fugly now?
Old 04-20-18, 12:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Highly doubtful- its still based on FWD Camry that has sloppy dynamics.

ES will do well with people that don't like driving, want luxury badge and comfy ride plus lots of value.
Cclass, 3series and A4 are much smaller and appeal to different buyer.

Go to any private college and see what the girls are driving or any single person that just graduated and wants their first $400 lease. It will not be the ES!
Camry does not have sloppy dynamics, just like FWD Audi does not handle like a sports car.

As to the girls in the college, i guess it would NX too, more likely than A4.
Old 04-20-18, 12:36 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Um, what? One of my coworkers, a pretty dedicated BMW fan, acknowledged that the F cars sound good - and LC IMO sounds even better than those! The NA V-8 sound is definitely a selling point of this car.
Yes a selling point, but not translating to a lot of sales. It needs a new selling point. The ES will sell well since it is more accessible luxury and the V6 is more than enough. I'm openly praying it will have an AWD option.
Old 04-20-18, 12:38 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The F Sport treatment actually makes some models good looking, i.e. the NX.
Old 04-20-18, 01:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
The F Sport treatment actually makes some models good looking, i.e. the NX.
depends if you like steam locomotive front ends

non f-sport

f-sport
Old 04-20-18, 01:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Camry does not have sloppy dynamics, just like FWD Audi does not handle like a sports car.

As to the girls in the college, i guess it would NX too, more likely than A4.
The Camry/ES is a conventional FWD with the: engine, flywheel, torque converter & gearbox - all mounted in front of the front axle.

Recent model Audis with MLB modular platform architecture are special FWD's with only the engine mounted in front of the front axle, while the flywheel, torque converter & gearbox are actually mounted behind the front axle for a slightly better weight distribution with less weight on the front wheels for more front wheel gripe.

Furthermore, the Camry/ES still uses limited [or even zero] aluminium content platforms, with single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension to reduce costs.
The Audis use high aluminium content platforms, and double wishbone/multi-link front suspension to help keep the front tires perpendicular to the road to maximize grip.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-20-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Plural; not "is", but "are".
Old 04-20-18, 06:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I honestly cannot believe people on here are having a discussion about an ES and whether or not an A4 should be compared. It’s bewildering the rediculous obsession some people have with FWD and RWD. FWD and RWD aside, an ES and an A4, C, or 3 series are not in the same category and the majority of buyers of an ES car are not in the same demographic as the others. All that being said, neither the ES or the others mentioned are better, they all serve a vastly different function and the ES is better at some things while the A4 is better at others. I was lucky enough to drive my fathers ES for the last week on a long road trip and today I was able to drive my sisters 3 series for the day in and around Savannah and Tybee beach with myself, my husband, and my wonderful sister. I can tell everyone right now that my sisters 3 series car was not the better people mover, not more relaxing or the better quality car. Was the 3 series better handling, more precision and more responsive, absolutely. Better comfort. No chance.
Old 04-21-18, 06:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Furthermore, the Camry/ES still uses limited [or even zero] aluminium content platforms, with single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension to reduce costs.
I am so happy you are being able to tell us how much better any Audi is than ES, even without knowing a single thing about new ES.

Thats amazing.
Old 04-21-18, 06:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I honestly cannot believe people on here are having a discussion about an ES and whether or not an A4 should be compared. It’s bewildering the rediculous obsession some people have with FWD and RWD. FWD and RWD aside, an ES and an A4, C, or 3 series are not in the same category and the majority of buyers of an ES car are not in the same demographic as the others. All that being said, neither the ES or the others mentioned are better, they all serve a vastly different function and the ES is better at some things while the A4 is better at others. I was lucky enough to drive my fathers ES for the last week on a long road trip and today I was able to drive my sisters 3 series for the day in and around Savannah and Tybee beach with myself, my husband, and my wonderful sister. I can tell everyone right now that my sisters 3 series car was not the better people mover, not more relaxing or the better quality car. Was the 3 series better handling, more precision and more responsive, absolutely. Better comfort. No chance.
For everyday driving there is little to no difference between 3 series, IS, ES, A4, Q50 and others. Personal preference comes in little stuff like infotainment, backseat legroom, steering weight, floatiness, driving assistance technology (not all BSM are built the same) interior materials, interior layout, smell and other things that are most likely not linked to driving performance or ride quality. But the core selling point of ES is being discount midsize sedan with premium badge. Great upgrade for all the Camry, Accord, Maxima people.
Old 04-21-18, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I honestly cannot believe people on here are having a discussion about an ES and whether or not an A4 should be compared. It’s bewildering the rediculous obsession some people have with FWD and RWD.

I agree the discussion and arguments sometimes get carried away, but part of that is the never-ending conflict between those who are sport-oriented (RWD) and those who are not. For most normal everyday driving situations, though, all else equal, outside of winter traction and/or aggressive cornering, there is little difference between RWD and FWD. You might (?), in some cases, get slightly better braking distances with RWD, because more of the car's total weight is balanced between front and rear, forcing the rear brakes and tires to do a little more of their share during weight-transfer.
Old 04-21-18, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

depends if you like steam locomotive front ends

non f-sport

f-sport
I prefer the more aggressive looking F-sport ...
Old 04-21-18, 07:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Every time I take a corner, a highway sweeper, a quick transition in traffic, or anything else besides going straight, I prefer RWD. Any driving enthusiast can tell the difference and that's why RWD is so popular amongst enthusiasts.
Old 04-21-18, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
For everyday driving there is little to no difference between 3 series, IS, ES, A4, Q50 and others. Personal preference comes in little stuff like infotainment, backseat legroom, steering weight, floatiness, driving assistance technology (not all BSM are built the same) interior materials, interior layout, smell and other things that are most likely not linked to driving performance or ride quality. But the core selling point of ES is being discount midsize sedan with premium badge. Great upgrade for all the Camry, Accord, Maxima people.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I prefer the more aggressive looking F-sport ...
since there's absolutely nothing actually 'aggressive' about the nx, i dislike the poser front lip and gigantic grill. but i guess it is 'aggressive looking'.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow