ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 10:12 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I am not expecting anything more of an ES than what it is right now. It will remain the same type of the vehicle, positioned at the same place in the line up with the similar pricing (some packages will push the price further than before)

It's not a GS replacement, it's just an ES like it always has been. Don't hold your breath for any extraordinary driving dynamics or something.
Originally Posted by AJLex19
Agreed with this 100%. I don't think they would mess with a winning formula --the ES sells too well for the company for them to do anything drastic...its priced right, is roomy and its styling has been conservative compared to other Lexus sedans in the lineup.

The ES is the only sedan other than the discontinued HS that never got an 'F-Sport' treatment although I can completely see them offering it with the 2019 redesign.
I agree 100% with the both of you. Lexus will play a hard conservative card on the Lexus ES. There's already some proof of this with the introduction of a Hybrid model is for sure. Also - based on the leaked pictures - the redesign 2019 Lexus ES doesn't look too drastically different compared to the outgoing generation. They literally just reshaped the grille, made everything sharper and basically just an updated version of the new Lexus design language.

Since Toyota is a conservative company, they'll likely just play it safe with the ES and keep what sells.

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2018 Camry SE and XSE trims, with the decklid spoiler and the fake rear vertical grilles under the taillights, is very popular in my neck of the woods. If this is any indication, an ES F-Sport with a number of dress-up bits would sell.
Yeah. The Camry SE and XSE seems very popular in my area too. The average consumer base loves the Camry. From what I can tell, people love it because they think they are getting a sporty fun-driving car that's also family. To be honest though, the 18 Camry XSE still drives like a Camry when I test drove it to see what the hype is about. The fake diffusers and fake quad-exhaust on the Camry XSE really annoys me. Its trying to be something its not.

Originally Posted by highrev6
Dealers all around the country can’t keep the two tone Camry’s XSE’s in stock. Their is a waiting list.

Im pretty sure the ES F Sport will feature two mode adjustable variable dampers which will allow it to handle slightly better. I’m sure it will be very popular as are the F Sport RX models.
Yeah. The 2018 Camry is a big hit. The wait-list is probably due to the high demand and low supply. Toyota tends to make not a lot of XSE and XLE because majority of their sales are the SE and LE models.
Old 04-13-18, 01:27 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that rear looks similar to the old hyundai sonata

Old 04-13-18, 02:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
that would be something similar to the Toyota Camry XSE trim V-6 ...
i guess but maybe a bit classier.

Originally Posted by situman
There's an RX F Sport, NX F Sport and the upcoming UX F Sport. All 3 are not sporty by any means and all 3 have mediocre power and overall performance. Something tells me an ES F Sport is not out of the realm of possibility and I wouldnt be surprised if it out sports all 3 of those. So I say F to your hearts content Lexus.
lol, and maybe they'll one day have an 'ultimate' f trim and call it the FU trim.

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2018 Camry SE and XSE trims, with the decklid spoiler and the fake rear vertical grilles under the taillights, is very popular in my neck of the woods. If this is any indication, an ES F-Sport with a number of dress-up bits would sell.
'looks fast' has always done pretty well. doesn't mean it's not tacky.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
lol and to take it even further down the oxymoron road...an ES F with the new twin turbo will fly past me on the highway getting me sayin "was that an ES??!! "
well any es today can fly on the highway as long as it doesn't have to TURN too quickly.
Old 04-13-18, 02:27 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pman6
that rear looks similar to the old hyundai sonata

Omg. Bruh. +1 Once you said it looks like the old Hyundai Sonata, I can't un-see it. Lol.

Hopefully it'll look nothing like the Hyundai with the cameo off.
Old 04-13-18, 05:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for sharing all that.

the ES is just a center target bullseye hit for someone who wants a roomy, comfortable, refined sedan that's extremely reliable, isn't too huge and not very expensive. i call it the perfect realtor car (they have to drive a lot, ferry people around, without looking too flashy, etc.).
Thanks.

Yea the ES fills in for me. Being I still have the MKS quite, smooth, Fast Rocket, I picked it over the GS.

Meant to post up when I saw you got that G90. I'm Jealous. Its got everything I wanted. My Favorite color too. I just helped my Girl buy a Perfect Condition Kia Optima SXL 2.0T. Kinda in that Family. Congrats on that G90. Nice pick!!!!

Last edited by jgscott; 04-13-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 07:02 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not talking about clocks in cars, in any event I doubt any clock in any modern car is automatic. You have to wind automatic clocks.

Go ask a watch enthusiast which is better. Also, what sort of watch is a $30,000 Rolex? Its an automatic watch. You won't find quartz watches over $1,500 in cost or so, everything above that is an automatic watch, automatic watch = quality in the watch world. People say "quartz is better because its more accurate" or "because you don't have to wind it all the time", but watch enthusiasts snicker at that just like car enthusiasts snicker at "FWD cars are better in the snow". In fact...they aren't better in the snow, and can actually be extremely dangerous. Same as the fact that a fine automatic timepiece is far more accurate than a quartz movement.

The analogy to the FWD vs RWD debate is actually pretty spot on. We are way off topic though.
QFT

Some exceptions apply, but overall in today's car market, RWD is premium cars and FWD in general and pseudo luxury segment.
Old 04-13-18, 08:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

.....but watch enthusiasts snicker at that just like car enthusiasts snicker at "FWD cars are better in the snow". In fact...they aren't better in the snow, and can actually be extremely dangerous.
How?

Old 04-13-18, 08:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How?

Google some videos / reviews on this topic or just drive a RWD car in the snow.
Once a FWD car loses traction - it is not as predictable to control as RWD.
Very hard to countersteer.

The perception of RWD being poor in snow is due to the fact most RWD cars are Performance oriented and have low profile summer tires which have poor traction. Put on a decent tire with a bigger sidewall and you can drive them anywhere.

S500 used to be RWD only until 15 years ago and somehow nobody ever complained it did badly in snow.
Modern traction systems are much better as well.
Old 04-13-18, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

How?

RNM beat me to it!

The issue is that with FWD your drive wheels and steering wheels are the same. So, if you loose acceleration traction, you also loose the ability to steer and vice versa. FWD cars are easier to get started from a stop than RWD, but that’s where their benefit ends, everything else is a detriment. Having experienced my current RWD car with modern traction control and skid control in the snow, I really see no benefit to a FWD car in the snow at all.
Old 04-13-18, 10:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You said "extremely dangerous" what you describe is nothing of the sort. A RWD car can spin when it has traction issues. Having driven many winters in both FWD and RWD cars and trucks FWD wins easily. BTW if you are going to tout traction and stability control in a RWD platform same applies to FWD.
Old 04-14-18, 12:27 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

The perception of RWD being poor in snow is due to the fact most RWD cars are Performance oriented and have low profile summer tires which have poor traction. Put on a decent tire with a bigger sidewall and you can drive them anywhere.

S500 used to be RWD only until 15 years ago and somehow nobody ever complained it did badly in snow.
The thing is: FWD rarely loses traction to the everyday average driver on poor conditions while RWD has more chances to lose traction to the everyday average driver on poor conditions. Look I'm just as much as a car enthusiasts as you guys but lets not going around bashing FWD for no reason. I get it - RWD is the better platform, I'll admit it. However, FWD is the better platform for harsh conditions and fuel economy.
The point is: FWD with all-season tires on snow/rain conditions will less likely lose traction than a RWD with all-season tires. While its true that RWD with snow-tires might be better, a FWD with snow tires is better than a RWD with snow tires. Compare the same tires to both drive-trains.

While its true that a RWD will be easier to maintain control during a slip, you also make too big of an assumption that average everyday people know to counter-act the rear-end kicking out for a RWD car. I clock in about 4-5 track hours per month since last year and I still don't counter-acting a rear-end kick perfectly. Its not that simple, especially, when a driver is in a state of panic of a slip, fear of crashing and at high speeds.

RNM beat me to it!

The issue is that with FWD your drive wheels and steering wheels are the same. So, if you loose acceleration traction, you also loose the ability to steer and vice versa. FWD cars are easier to get started from a stop than RWD, but that’s where their benefit ends, everything else is a detriment. Having experienced my current RWD car with modern traction control and skid control in the snow, I really see no benefit to a FWD car in the snow at all.
Again - the chances of FWD losing control are much lower than a RWD losing control.

Benefit 1) The drive-wheels are at the front and with the engine being on top - it gives the front wheels more traction since its heavier up in the front. This allows FWD to have more grip/traction in the snow/rain/ice.
Benefit 2) Better fuel economy
Benefit 3) Cheaper

You said "extremely dangerous" what you describe is nothing of the sort. A RWD car can spin when it has traction issues. Having driven many winters in both FWD and RWD cars and trucks FWD wins easily. BTW if you are going to tout traction and stability control in a RWD platform same applies to FWD.
+ Agreed. Similarity - if they are going to say use snow-tires on RWD, they have to use snow-tires on FWD too. Point line is: FWD is good for rain/snow/ice and RWD is good for performance. Its foolish to think a RWD car is good in the snow.

If a hellcat can lose traction with traction control on while on dry tarmac, a much weaker RWD car will lose traction in the snow.
Old 04-14-18, 12:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
If a hellcat can lose traction with traction control on while on dry tarmac, a much weaker RWD car will lose traction in the snow.
Was going to post exactly this. I've done a pirouette on ice in a RWD car, there was basically nothing I could do. I've never had that happen in FWD car, in fact it is quite hard to do donuts in a FWD car.
Old 04-14-18, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Was going to post exactly this. I've done a pirouette on ice in a RWD car, there was basically nothing I could do. I've never had that happen in FWD car, in fact it is quite hard to do donuts in a FWD car.

I have owned FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles in my lifetime. My experience over many winters pretty much mirrors yours....on snow and ice, all else equal, AWD is tops, then FWD, then RWD in that order. That doesn't necessarily mean that all RWD vehicles s**k, especially with traction/stabilty control and snow tires....and some RWD cars, like Porsches, have the engine in back over the drive wheels to add weight for traction. But I have found that, in general, for winter traction, there aren't many good substitutes for having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels. It's not the ideal set-up for corner-carving or for aggressive handling on sharp curves....but, especially combined with an LSD, is excellent for starting up and getting the vehicle moving on slippery surfaces without getting stuck. RWD vehicles can sometimes be helped on slippery surfaces by adding weight in the trunk or cargo area....the practice of dumping snow and ice into the empty beds of RWD pickups to add weight is a long-time tradition.

It also needs to be pointed out (which, I think, has already been done), that simply having the drive wheels in any one given location will not necessarily help you stop any quicker on snow and ice...too many other factors are involved in that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-18 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 05:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

where do you live? There is a good reason for rwd having bad reputation in snow.
Old 04-14-18, 05:55 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As we are on the topic of FWD/RWD preferences I would say that trans FWD with RWD like biased AWD likes of Evo X and STi (both cars are FWD biased AWD but trickery in the actual setup gives RWD biased AWD like behavior) is the way to go in large sedans and SUVs. Why? First of all transmission is on the right side of the vehicle which allows greater utility especially in SUV case, that's where mid to small RWD based SUVs fail like Jaguar that has the same amount of interior space as sedan version of the car. Setup like this also allows you to eliminate or minimize the center hump at the back although many FWD manufacturers opt for the hump to increase rigidity. Road handling and feel could mimic RWD cars while front based vehicle distribution could be overridden with proper AWD hard work. The only drawback I see is the fuel economy and R&D to develop your own S-AWC like technology to work that FWD biased AWD like it's RWD.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow