ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 09:53 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From many years of experience, I generally agree with your view. One can be a car enthusiast, like me, and have no problem with FWD...in fact, in some ways, I prefer FWD, although, depending on the design of the front suspension and underpinnings, it can sometimes make front end work on suspension and brakes more complex by needing to realign the front wheels when the work is done. One needs to separate a general car enthusiast from a handling enthusiast.....yes, those who prefer more aggressive driving and canyon-carving will usually want RWD, though there are also some excellent FWD products in that category.
Same here. As a car enthusiasts for many years too, I personally have no problem with FWD. I tend to look at the car at a whole. I wouldn't buy something specifically for being RWD - like I would buy something specifically for it being FWD either. The car just has to be good.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The GS does offer a lot more luxury, the interior in the GS is a big step above the ES, and the driving experience is a lot more premium feeling and refined too.

Its important that Lexus have competitors in important segments if they want to continue to be considered a peer of the germans.

Look at it this way, look how small numbers some of these Audi and Jaguar models sell in, but hey, nobodys saying they should cancel their models
I would agree with SW17LS here. The GS does have a more premium feel to it. Having driven both the Lexus ES and Lexus GS - there is a difference.

The Lexus GS is also needed to compete versus the German 5 Series, E-Class and A6. Like SW17LS, I think it'll be foolish for Lexus to use a Avalon/Camry re-skin to compete with a 5 Series and E-Class on the premium luxury sedan market.
Second - the 5 Series and E-Class can easily shoot over into the 60K-70K range. I can never see the Lexus ES ever being priced that high.
Thirdly - there needs to be a vehicle with the ES and LS gap. They can't make it a jump from ES to LS.
I seriously hope the Lexus GS stays no matter how good the Lexus ES is. The Lexus ES simply can't take on the Lexus GS's space. What is a Lexus IS owner suppose to do if they want to upgrade to a bigger Lexus sedan that's still RWD? Pay triple the price for a LS or settle with a Camry/Avalon re-skin? That's why the Lexus GS is important.

Agree with your last line - there are some BMW/MB cars that sell horribly. No one tells them to cancel it either.
Old 04-12-18, 09:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Just to add my 2cents from all the pages. I drove both the ES and GS for a few days. Maybe its just me but, the ES seems to have less noise and was more quite to me. Now I did drive only the ES UL w/ the double paned Windows. Not sure if all ES's have them?

The GS also had me wishing for more Horsepower for the money. Its fast, but there are a lot faster car in the class. And I drove a 2015 GS and hated the Transmissions too much shifting. A GS460 would be my wish. I had the previous Gen GS460. I loved it.

The Newest GS was Sporty feeling, the ES was Luxury car feeling. On the Highway the ES just felt a better rider, and more elbow roomy. For the Record I do own a 13 ES350 UL, and had the Prev Gen GS460, but I'm talking about the New Gen ES vs The New Gen GS. And I never thought a ES would win me over. Just saying.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-12-18 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 01:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not expecting anything more of an ES than what it is right now. It will remain the same type of the vehicle, positioned at the same place in the line up with the similar pricing (some packages will push the price further than before)

It's not a GS replacement, it's just an ES like it always has been. Don't hold your breath for any extraordinary driving dynamics or something.
Old 04-13-18, 03:55 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just to add my 2cents from all the pages. I drove both the ES and GS for a few days. Maybe its just me but, the ES seems to have less noise and was more quite to me. Now I did drive only the ES UL w/ the double paned Windows. Not sure if all ES's have them?

The GS also had me wishing for more Horsepower for the money. Its fast, but there are a lot faster car in the class. And I drove a 2015 GS and hated the Transmissions too much shifting. A GS460 would be my wish. I had the previous Gen GS460. I loved it.

The Newest GS was Sporty feeling, the ES was Luxury car feeling. On the Highway the ES just felt a better rider, and more elbow roomy. For the Record I do own a 13 ES350 UL, and had the Prev Gen GS460, but I'm talking about the New Gen ES vs The New Gen GS. And I never thought a ES would win me over. Just saying.
I think you would like the GS F. The 8 speeds auto shifted manually is so much fun. You shifted gears when you want, and the bonus is it would automatically downshift for you when needed. I think it's much better than a true manual for the majority of manual-craving drivers. I love to delay the upshifts just to listen to the delicious sound the 5.0 makes at higher RPM. On the other hand, it's not a quiet Lexus, unless cruising at steady speed
Old 04-13-18, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott

thanks for sharing all that.

the ES is just a center target bullseye hit for someone who wants a roomy, comfortable, refined sedan that's extremely reliable, isn't too huge and not very expensive. i call it the perfect realtor car (they have to drive a lot, ferry people around, without looking too flashy, etc.).
Old 04-13-18, 06:27 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I am not expecting anything more of an ES than what it is right now. It will remain the same type of the vehicle, positioned at the same place in the line up with the similar pricing (some packages will push the price further than before)

It's not a GS replacement, it's just an ES like it always has been. Don't hold your breath for any extraordinary driving dynamics or something.
Agreed with this 100%. I don't think they would mess with a winning formula --the ES sells too well for the company for them to do anything drastic...its priced right, is roomy and its styling has been conservative compared to other Lexus sedans in the lineup.

The ES is the only sedan other than the discontinued HS that never got an 'F-Sport' treatment although I can completely see them offering it with the 2019 redesign.
Old 04-13-18, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i think an es f-sport would be an oxymoron.
Old 04-13-18, 06:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that would be something similar to the Toyota Camry XSE trim V-6 ...
Old 04-13-18, 07:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The GS does offer a lot more luxury, the interior in the GS is a big step above the ES, and the driving experience is a lot more premium feeling and refined too.

I just don't agree. A transverse based ES will never be seen as a peer to the other cars in the segment, at its core it just isn't a peer, it would be an entirely different sort of car.

Remember there was a time when the GS did fine alongside the ES, and to say "nobody buys it" when in its best years it did 20k+ units, which was the goal they had set for the car in the US anyways.

Its important that Lexus have competitors in important segments if they want to continue to be considered a peer of the germans.

Look at it this way, look how small numbers some of these Audi and Jaguar models sell in, but hey, nobodys saying they should cancel their models
I had a 2011 ES and now a 2015 GS. Yes the GS has a sharper driving feel and more planted and the material is a little better. However, both car's dash and trims creak going over bumps and when pressed with a bit of pressure. In terms of NVH, not much of a difference. Not $10k+ in differences at least.

I think if buyers cared about the ES not being equal to the Germans, people would have flocked to the GS. But then when you compare the spec sheets of the GS to its German peers, it doesnt measure up in any way shape or form. It is clear that Lexus is content on letting the GS wither away in agony. While the low volume of some of the german competitors does make a case for preserving the GS, at least you can tell those models are being updated. Also, while they may not sell in numbers in the U.S., they sell well in other countries, while the GS does not.
Old 04-13-18, 07:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

that would be something similar to the Toyota Camry XSE trim V-6 ...
The 2018 Camry SE and XSE trims, with the decklid spoiler and the fake rear vertical grilles under the taillights, is very popular in my neck of the woods. If this is any indication, an ES F-Sport with a number of dress-up bits would sell.
Old 04-13-18, 08:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

There's an RX F Sport, NX F Sport and the upcoming UX F Sport. All 3 are not sporty by any means and all 3 have mediocre power and overall performance. Something tells me an ES F Sport is not out of the realm of possibility and I wouldnt be surprised if it out sports all 3 of those. So I say F to your hearts content Lexus.
Old 04-13-18, 08:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2018 Camry SE and XSE trims, with the decklid spoiler and the fake rear vertical grilles under the taillights, is very popular in my neck of the woods. If this is any indication, an ES F-Sport with a number of dress-up bits would sell.
I do hope they put more substance into it other than a stiffer suspension, some styling bits and badges. It worked a bit when the F Sports first came out but now its just a styling exercise.
Old 04-13-18, 08:20 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I do hope they put more substance into it other than a stiffer suspension, some styling bits and badges. It worked a bit when the F Sports first came out but now its just a styling exercise.

Dealers all around the country can’t keep the two tone Camry’s XSE’s in stock. Their is a waiting list.

Im pretty sure the ES F Sport will feature two mode adjustable variable dampers which will allow it to handle slightly better. I’m sure it will be very popular as are the F Sport RX models.
Old 04-13-18, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

For the current GS you really need to drive the car with the AVS suspension in the luxury trim, which is what I had. Huge step up from the ES. If you just drive an ordinary premium package GS the GS is very ho hum.

Originally Posted by situman
However, both car's dash and trims creak going over bumps and when pressed with a bit of pressure.
This is a problem unfortunately with all modern Lexus vehicles. Its even a problem in the LS. They just aren't built like they used to be.

i call it the perfect realtor car (they have to drive a lot, ferry people around, without looking too flashy, etc.).
Thats one of the big reasons why I drive Lexus vehicles in general, and the main reason I didn't just "go for it" this time and get the S Class. Any Lexus is well built, gives you a good driving experience without being too flashy and attention grabbing.

My partner had a MB C Class and traded it on a GS. Despite the GS being more expensive, he got snide remarks from his customers about the C Class, but never the GS.
Old 04-13-18, 09:47 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

lol and to take it even further down the oxymoron road...an ES F with the new twin turbo will fly past me on the highway getting me sayin "was that an ES??!! "

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow