ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 02:41 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I'm so glad you posted this photo compare. One is your usual quick shot with lens distortion while other is tucked up press release image in which they tried to hide the signature ES minimalistic surface blend tall doors with horizon reflection that splits it in half. Those doors are dead give away it's your usual ES no matter how hard they try to disguise it with aggressive front and back pillars. They also nip tucked the actual height of the car stretched the overhangs for better proportions (that's why get that Mazda 6 lean profile vibe in a blue car).
Please, someone tell me the silver car is the more accurate body. The front overhang on the blue F-Sport looks horrible, at about two feet longer.
Old 05-04-18, 03:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Please, someone tell me the silver car is the more accurate body. The front overhang on the blue F-Sport looks horrible, at about two feet longer.
it is the same... just different perspective. Also overhangs are smaller than in previous ES, and wheelbase is larger... all for the rear legroom.
Old 05-16-18, 02:33 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I was just watching an interior video, and it looks like the new ES will have the option of rear seat controls similar to the Luxury Package in the GS and Ultra Luxury in the LS. Surprising that Lexus is trying to move upmarket with the ES!

Old 05-16-18, 03:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I was just watching an interior video, and it looks like the new ES will have the option of rear seat controls similar to the Luxury Package in the GS and Ultra Luxury in the LS. Surprising that Lexus is trying to move upmarket with the ES!
Its more of Lexus trying to move up-market with the US-Spec models. The rear-seat controls has existed on the Lexus ES since 2013 in other markets. This is nothing new - its just that the US-Spec ES is late the party.

Rear-seat controls are likely to be an optional extra rather than part of a package. Being part of a package could increase price point of the package and Toyota wants to keep the Lexus ES priced fairly. Rumor has it they are pricing the 2019 ES under 40K starting.
Old 05-16-18, 03:23 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Rear seat controls have been in the 2009-2015 Maxima if you opted for the Premium Package (priced a tad below $40k). Here is a picture:

Lexus really is late to the party.
Old 05-16-18, 04:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
Rear seat controls have been in the 2009-2015 Maxima if you opted for the Premium Package (priced a tad below $40k). Here is a picture:

Lexus really is late to the party.
Lexus specifically isn't late to the party regarding rear-seat controls because other Lexus models have been offering.

But, if we are talking about the US-Spec Lexus ES, then yes, the US-Spec ES is late to the party. Lexus ES that are sold in other markets have rear-seat controls since 2013. While I do think rear-seat controls are a nice feature to have, I think its more of a show-off feature to tell people you have it. The only way to get the most out of it is - if you drive tons of people all the time.
Old 05-16-18, 06:28 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Lexus specifically isn't late to the party regarding rear-seat controls because other Lexus models have been offering.

But, if we are talking about the US-Spec Lexus ES, then yes, the US-Spec ES is late to the party. Lexus ES that are sold in other markets have rear-seat controls since 2013. While I do think rear-seat controls are a nice feature to have, I think its more of a show-off feature to tell people you have it. The only way to get the most out of it is - if you drive tons of people all the time.
Yes, I understand. I was referring to the entry-level Lexus models (sub $40k starting price). Of course, the LS had that option for a long time even in US.
Old 05-16-18, 08:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
Yes, I understand. I was referring to the entry-level Lexus models (sub $40k starting price). Of course, the LS had that option for a long time even in US.
Ahhh! That's definitely true. The Lexus ES will be the first car with a starting price lower than 40K to have rear-seat controls as an option.

The Lexus IS and Lexus UX will probably never get it.
Old 05-17-18, 01:37 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

I have the rear seat controls in my 2002 Q45, and yes, they're gimmicky. I rarely drive the car, but when I have had passengers in the back, they've never been used. I just think this is one more feature trying to sway GS buyers into the ES.
Old 05-17-18, 01:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If any current Lexus vehicle is missing rear seat controls it's the RX. Even my Highlander has them.
Old 05-17-18, 03:06 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
If any current Lexus vehicle is missing rear seat controls it's the RX. Even my Highlander has them.
That is definitely true. The Toyota Highlander has had rear-seat controls since the 2nd generation model. I'm not 100% sure why Toyota offers it on the Highlander but Lexus doesn't offer it on the RX. Its pretty confusing.

These are the things that make me believe the rear-seat controls are a nice feature but not a luxury feature.
Old 05-28-18, 01:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by xBROKER
Sounds like you're putting down the model. My ES turns heads all the time, when she's not being a garage princess.
Aren't you the guy who bought the KIA Stinger?
I believe the answer to this is no,
Old 05-29-18, 08:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Sounds like you're putting down the model. My ES turns heads all the time, when she's not being a garage princess.
I'm pretty sure bit understands the irony that many driving enthusiasts who don't necessarily fit the bill of talking about an ES are in this thread... myself included.

Besides, the Stinger seems like a great car anyway.
Old 05-29-18, 10:27 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think Bit was putting down your model. And I honestly don't think it should matter if he is. Everyone has their opinions and Bit is free to his.

Secondly - I understand why you love the Lexus ES. I grew up in a Lexus ES myself. My dad's Lexus ES is comfortable, still running and its perfect. However - I personally don't like the Lexus ES because its just a rebadged Toyota Camry/Avalon.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow