ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 02:09 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Good catch on the floor hump. It doesn't make sense for the new ES to have one though. The old one doesn't, the rear floor is almost flat.

More room for an AWD propshaft? The Camry and Avalon don't have this hump. Maybe it's just lighting.
Old 04-25-18, 02:53 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

After reading about the 2019 Avalon Touring none of these new 7th gen ES details surprise me one bit. As a self proclaimed ES hater. I have to say Lexus did a damn good job with the new ES. It looks like it could be class leading at least on paper. It’s literally a mechanical carbon copy of the slightly more polarizing 2019 Avalon. I think I would personally just save my money and buy a fully loaded Avalon than buy this new ES. Like BippuLexus mentioned, this only reassures my beliefs that Lexus will be launching a longer wheel base LS and a even sexier 5th generation GS with a twin turbo six option.

The ES looks very handsome, I’m sure it will sell very well even without all wheel drive. I love the blue paint.

Last edited by highrev6; 04-25-18 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 04:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No mention of AWD means the GS is safe IMO...
Old 04-25-18, 04:58 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks a lot better in real life, almost like a cheap LS

It also looks better in light colors like silver and white. USB somehow makes the ES look chunky. The non-FSport grille on a pearl white car looks pretty good too.

The bootlid spoiler doesn't work for me whereas the old car has a trim rear end. Too much Banglebutt going on there.
Attached Thumbnails All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194458-01.png   All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194454-01.png   All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194515-01.png   All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194503-01.png   All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194510-01.png  

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow-screenshot_20180425-194536-01.png  
Old 04-25-18, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I think the Lexus ES is a great car. Would I buy it? No. I would not buy a Lexus ES because I care about driving dynamics and I would never pay 55K for a Camry/Avalon in a suit. However - someone who isn't a car enthusiasts or someone who just doesn't care, they'll buy it. <--- Lexus ES targets these people.
One can be a car enthusiast without being a speed or handling enthusiast....and, yes, a number of them will like the ES. I never have believed that all car enthusiasts have to subscribe to the Gospel of Aggressive Driving.
Old 04-25-18, 06:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I too have noticed the hump in the rear footwell. I first noticed it in the Camry and then also in the Avalon, and now in the ES.

Camry rear seat (courtesy of car-revs-daily.com):

Avalon rear seat (courtesy of netcarshow.com):

ES rear seat (courtesy of netcarshow.com):

Even if these models do not come with the option of a mechanical AWD (with driveshaft, as opposed to eAWD on Hybrid models), raising the centre floor allows Toyota to tuck everything up for a clean, aerodynamic underfloor. If you have ever followed behind a late model Camry (that has a flat rear floor), the exhaust system can be seen hanging down, but with a hump, that could all be tucked up and out of the way.
Old 04-25-18, 06:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I too have noticed the hump in the rear footwell. I first noticed it in the Camry and then also in the Avalon, and now in the ES.

Even if these models do not come with the option of a mechanical AWD (with driveshaft, as opposed to eAWD on Hybrid models), raising the centre floor allows Toyota to tuck everything up for a clean, aerodynamic underfloor. If you have ever followed behind a late model Camry (that has a flat rear floor), the exhaust system can be seen hanging down, but with a hump, that could all be tucked up and out of the way.
Yes, the move to TNGA also brought the return of a rear floorpan center hump in the FWD models.
Old 04-25-18, 06:38 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Regarding the ES sharing drivetrain options (V6 and I4-hybrid) with the Camry and Avalon: Why would that matter now? The ES has always shared drivetrains with the Avalon (which in turn shared with the Camry) and it has not seemed to be a problem before. Why would it suddenly be a problem now?
Old 04-25-18, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

With the possible exception of the original 60s-vintage FWD Olds Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado, I don't think I can ever recall seeing a FWD vehicle with perfectly flat floors. Theoretically it is possible, but, most of the time, the demands for a console, rear-seat controls, A/C vents, or other hardware/controls in the rear seat intrude on what would be the available space.
Old 04-25-18, 06:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No mention of AWD means the GS is safe IMO...
Agreed. I like that they finally gave the ES an F-Sport option though - feels like it was overdue. The execution, trim lines and offering fit the market and Lexus was smart not to make any drastic changes that may not mesh with their primary buyer. I think the tech upgrades were also very important (Apple Car Play, Alexa). This is an even more perfect uBer/taxi mobile...luxurious, smooth riding, ample room, reliable.

The ES has also always had an "ultra luxury" or "luxury" package offering as well so will be awaiting to hear what goodies are offered in that package.

I do imagine excellent lease/finance offers on the outgoing 2018 ES come end of summer/into fall...and i'm going to go slightly off topic and say that without an AWD option, the GS feels like it will stick around for now. I'm planning to hold on to my '13 GS for another 5 years...but at least now with the '19 ES, all sedans Lexus is making have a sportier option with an F-Sport trim.
Old 04-25-18, 06:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One can be a car enthusiast without being a speed or handling enthusiast....and, yes, a number of them will like the ES. I never have believed that all car enthusiasts have to subscribe to the Gospel of Aggressive Driving.
+1, even as someone who personally prefers something like the IS over the ES, I can still see the merits of the ES whenever I drive one.

I like it. The design on this one is more cohesive than last time. I'm kinda disappointed that in terms of drivetrain and features, it's essentially a repackaged Avalon (including Apple CarPlay). Then again I suppose that's the previous car as well. But this is an ES I wouldn't mind seeing on the road or having as a loaner. Makes me excited for the other forthcoming Lexus sedans.
Old 04-25-18, 06:50 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Default Storage options

I have some questions about storage.

Where are the cupholders (in this picture)? Are they under that cover in front of the gearshift? What about that bin behind the gearshift?

I am hoping for more small item storage (specifically a place for a smartphone and a place for a sunglasses case) than the current 6Gen ES.

Second question is about a fold-down rear seat. There is now a V-shaped brace behind the rear seat. Will this get in the way of a fold-down rear seatback or would there only be a centre armrest pass-through?

Funny how the (non-structural) front hood and fenders are aluminum but the rear trunklid is steel
Old 04-25-18, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Both of my ES sedans had a hump in the rear floorpan.
Old 04-25-18, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I have some questions about storage.

Where are the cupholders (in this picture)? Are they under that cover in front of the gearshift? What about that bin behind the gearshift?

I am hoping for more small item storage (specifically a place for a smartphone and a place for a sunglasses case) than the current 6Gen ES.

Second question is about a fold-down rear seat. There is now a V-shaped brace behind the rear seat. Will this get in the way of a fold-down rear seatback or would there only be a centre armrest pass-through?

Funny how the (non-structural) front hood and fenders are aluminum but the rear trunklid is steel
Bin behind the gearshift is on purpose shaped like that to hold various items upright, like cellphone... I would guess that two cupholders are in front.
Armrest looks significantly expanded from before, I would think QI Charger is there. I wonder if there is something else in front of the front bin, since Avalon has 5 USB points, it makes sense for ES to have 5 too, but all are hidden in those pics.

And as you point out, there will be only passthrough, no folding rear seats.
Old 04-25-18, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Real life pics it looks like new version of GS... I like F-Sport version only, but for interior something brighter than all-black they have.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow