ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You said "extremely dangerous" what you describe is nothing of the sort. A RWD car can spin when it has traction issues. Having driven many winters in both FWD and RWD cars and trucks FWD wins easily. BTW if you are going to tout traction and stability control in a RWD platform same applies to FWD.
Take an advanced driving course in a skid car where the instructor shows you the issue, I stand by what I said “extremely dangerous”.

The only drive wheels should not be the only steering wheels. Physics are physics, traction control or not. Skid control systems keep the driver from needing to know how to control a RWD oversteer in the snow, but they don’t really help with what makes a FWD vehicle inherently dangerous in the snow and ice.

Like I said, I am not surprised you guys think the way you do, you haven’t had the experience I had of being in a skid car with an instructor who told me what I just told you, and then showed me the problem. I thought the way you did before. People equate “good in snow” with “gets me moving easier” and there’s just way more to it than that. People who say “FWD cars rarely loose traction” are just wrong. When you’re moving all cars can loose traction in a skid regardless of drivetrain, and a FWD car has dramatically less control once you’re in that skid because you can’t apply power and steering separately.

If I had a choice between my FWD Pacifica or my RWD LS460 in the snow, knowing what I know I would choose the LS460 every time.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-14-18 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 08:58 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have owned FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles in my lifetime. My experience over many winters pretty much mirrors yours....on snow and ice, all else equal, AWD is tops, then FWD, then RWD in that order. That doesn't necessarily mean that all RWD vehicles s**k, especially with traction/stabilty control and snow tires....and some RWD cars, like Porsches, have the engine in back over the drive wheels to add weight for traction. But I have found that, in general, for winter traction, there aren't many good substitutes for having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels. It's not the ideal set-up for corner-carving or for aggressive handling on sharp curves....but, especially combined with an LSD, is excellent for starting up and getting the vehicle moving on slippery surfaces without getting stuck. RWD vehicles can sometimes be helped on slippery surfaces by adding weight in the trunk or cargo area....the practice of dumping snow and ice into the empty beds of RWD pickups to add weight is a long-time tradition.

It also needs to be pointed out (which, I think, has already been done), that simply having the drive wheels in any one given location will not necessarily help you stop any quicker on snow and ice...too many other factors are involved in that.
I was thinking the same thing about my experience of FWD, the weight and snow. Never has RWD been best in snow for me. IMO, for me anyway. Unless you like Drifting in the Snow with RWD.
Old 04-14-18, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I've done a pirouette on ice in a RWD car, there was basically nothing I could do. I've never had that happen in FWD car, in fact it is quite hard to do donuts in a FWD car.
But it's easier to 'plow' in fwd and there's basically nothing you can do either.

Originally Posted by jgscott
I was thinking the same thing about my experience of FWD, the weight and snow. Never has RWD been best in snow for me. IMO, for me anyway. Unless you like Drifting in the Snow with RWD.
Fwd and rwd both suck in any significant snow. If i lived some place with a lot of snow, i'd have awd no question. Since i don't i'll likely NEVER drive fwd.
Old 04-14-18, 09:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But it's easier to 'plow' in fwd and there's basically nothing you can do either.
But there is. You let off the gas and steer out of it. Pretty simple. If you are not used to driving FWD, I could see the panic.
Old 04-14-18, 12:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Google some videos / reviews on this topic or just drive a RWD car in the snow.
Once a FWD car loses traction - it is not as predictable to control as RWD.
Very hard to countersteer.

The perception of RWD being poor in snow is due to the fact most RWD cars are Performance oriented and have low profile summer tires which have poor traction. Put on a decent tire with a bigger sidewall and you can drive them anywhere.

S500 used to be RWD only until 15 years ago and somehow nobody ever complained it did badly in snow.
Modern traction systems are much better as well.
RWD is worse in the snow then FWD when tires/weight are equal. It has really nothing to do if one vehicle is performance oriented or not. FWD have more traction over the drive wheels considering it has the weight of the engine, transmission, etc all up front which adds in giving the drive wheels more traction. With a RWD car there is much less traction because in most cases the engine and transmission are not in the rear meaning there is less weight over the drive wheels. Traction to the drive wheels is extremely critical when driving on the snow/ice/wet surfaces, that is why many will put weight in the rear of a RWD car to try to help with traction.

I like RWD cars better then FWD cars but there is no way I would say they are as good or better in the snow or slippery conditions then a FWD car, I have driven both types in the snow and while I did not have any real issues with my RWD car in the snow with decent all seasons it was a little more difficult to get started and it was easier to get the car to spin/light up traction control if I gave it too much throttle in a turn. I remember a friend was following me in a IS300 and we took a turn on a on ramp in the snow, the IS300 was terrible in the snow and taking the on ramp he spun out and wrecked his IS while my FWD handled the turn just fine, he said the car just felt squirrelly and when he gave it some more power the rear swung out and it spun out.

When my GS was totaled form a rear end collision it was knocked off the road into a grassy muddy dip on the side of the road which I aimed for so I did not get knocked into oncoming traffic or possibly into the guy in front of me. I could not get my GS up the bank which was not that steep because the rear tires just did not get enough traction, I likely would have with a FWD car, the toe truck driver said the same thing, doubted I would be able to get up it with RWD. FWD does have some advantages especially in slippery conditions, RWD may be easier to control in certain cases if it loses traction but it will lose traction before a FWD car if the tires are equal.

The absolute worse vehicles for driving in the snow/bad weather are RWD pick up trucks because they have so little traction on the rear wheels, I have seen a couple spin out including one guy I was following to work, did 2 360's through a red light when he tried to put on the brakes and turn on a yellow light, I have no issues driving my FWD car the entire time even the few times I tried to get it to slide and have a little fun.

Last edited by UDel; 04-14-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 03:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
where do you live? There is a good reason for rwd having bad reputation in snow.
I live in NYC and have driven RWD cars since 2001 when i got my 1st GS300.

There was a time when GS, SC, LS were RWD only......and magically people still bought them lol
People have been brainwashed by marketing that AWD is a necessity.

In Germany its a law to have winter tires as tires are way more important than anything else when it comes to traction.
Old 04-14-18, 06:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. You know a thread's done when the discussion veers over to the fwd/rwd winter driving debate
Old 04-14-18, 06:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

/\Like your Post is on Topic about the "All-new 2019 Lexus ES". LOL!
Old 04-14-18, 10:32 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Fwd and rwd both suck in any significant snow. If i lived some place with a lot of snow, i'd have awd no question. Since i don't i'll likely NEVER drive fwd.
This is where merc and bmw get it right. They have AWD, and it's defeatable to make purely RWD mode.
Old 04-14-18, 11:06 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We should just go back on topic about the ES.

This FWD/RWD debate is going no where. I seriously don't understand how some people honestly believe RWD is the go-to choice for snow/rain/ice.

Agreed with MM, AWD > FWD > RWD in snow/ice/rain - this is non-debatable.
Old 04-15-18, 12:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
We should just go back on topic about the ES.

This FWD/RWD debate is going no where. I seriously don't understand how some people honestly believe RWD is the go-to choice for snow/rain/ice.

Agreed with MM, AWD > FWD > RWD in snow/ice/rain - this is non-debatable.
I agree if the tires are all the same but put winter tires on a RWD car and it will outperform the FWD car with all-seasons. FWD is preferred because people don't want to put winters on during the snow months. It's convenience they are looking for. As enthusiasts though, we would rather deal with winter tires rather than suffer driving an inferior platform for handling in the dry months. Every time I get an ES loaner, it feels more like my minivan than my IS. I'll gladly have a set of winter tires to avoid having noticeably inferior FWD dynamics.
Old 04-15-18, 12:50 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

AWD for the win

FWD vs RWD is a tie.

If the ES is trying to capture more market AWD would be a winner
Old 04-15-18, 01:01 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Just imagine if we only had 2 wheel brakes? Would be terrible, hence AWD better than 2WD.

FWD is easier for the novice to steer.
RWD is trickier for the novice to steer.
Old 04-15-18, 05:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree if the tires are all the same but put winter tires on a RWD car and it will outperform the FWD car with all-seasons. FWD is preferred because people don't want to put winters on during the snow months. It's convenience they are looking for. As enthusiasts though, we would rather deal with winter tires rather than suffer driving an inferior platform for handling in the dry months. Every time I get an ES loaner, it feels more like my minivan than my IS. I'll gladly have a set of winter tires to avoid having noticeably inferior FWD dynamics.
With modern traction and skid control though, you can get around pretty well with RWD and all seasons was my point. I was extremely surprised compared to my previous experience with much older RWD cars in the snow. I was able to get around just as well as I did with FWD and no such systems, and FWD with such systems, and I don’t have the dynamic drawbacks.
Old 04-15-18, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Damn we are back.on the fwd vs awd discussion again?

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow