ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Replacing front windshield on 17 es350

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 02:43 PM
dsvetcov
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Replacing front windshield on 17 es350

We have all experienced or heard of someone's vehicle having a cracked windshield from a flying rock. Well here's what I learned in replacement. If you have, which most all ES's have, rain sensing wipers and lane-departure alerts, after market windshields, from Safelight or others, will not work (around $400). In addition, Lexus needs to re-calibrate these options. Lexus OEM Windshield is near $1,000 plus $250 for parts and labor to re-calibrate.

That's what I was told. Really would like to hear from others. Thanks, David
Old 04-21-18, 06:28 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dsvetcov
We have all experienced or heard of someone's vehicle having a cracked windshield from a flying rock. Well here's what I learned in replacement. If you have, which most all ES's have, rain sensing wipers and lane-departure alerts, after market windshields, from Safelight or others, will not work (around $400). In addition, Lexus needs to re-calibrate these options. Lexus OEM Windshield is near $1,000 plus $250 for parts and labor to re-calibrate.
That may be a little overstated - I don't like aftermarket glass, and especially Safelight, but have found the rain sensing wipers and lane departure works without recalibration. I get Pilkington glass which is the Lexus logo glass (rear windows) in my U.S. made 2018. My biggest complaint is a perceived lessening in noise reduction and a real increase in the amount of light coming through the windshield. It is always a battle with your insurance company and some members have been more successful than others in getting Lexus logo glass. And note - OEM is not the same as Lexus logo glass. Safelight may even claim to be OEM glass.

Dave Mac
Old 04-22-18, 03:30 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Just had mine replaced last week.

Geico paid for it 100%.

Windshield was replaced at my Lexus dealer—not sure of the cost.

The calibration, though, was an additional $434, which I paid for, and Geico sent me a check within 24hrs of submitting the receipt.
Old 04-22-18, 04:29 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Originally Posted by 355F1
Just had mine replaced last week.

Geico paid for it 100%.

Windshield was replaced at my Lexus dealer—not sure of the cost.

The calibration, though, was an additional $434, which I paid for, and Geico sent me a check within 24hrs of submitting the receipt.
I see you are in Arizona - which dealer handled it and did you get Lexus Logo glass? I have had mine replaced by Chandler Lexus using Penske Rapid Repair or something and the work was good but the glass was not Lexus glass. Pretty pricey on the calibration.

Dave Mac
Old 04-22-18, 05:03 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I see you are in Arizona - which dealer handled it and did you get Lexus Logo glass? I have had mine replaced by Chandler Lexus using Penske Rapid Repair or something and the work was good but the glass was not Lexus glass. Pretty pricey on the calibration.

Dave Mac
Oh crap. Same here. Except I didn’t even look at the glass to see if it was OEM!!!!

I’ll be back in AZ tomorrow and will check then!
Old 04-23-18, 04:55 AM
dsvetcov
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone. Seems I need to go with Lexus OEM. Even a auto glass company recommended not using after market. Calibration still must be done by Lexus.
Old 04-23-18, 07:42 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

So only place you can get the Lexus glass is from the dealer?
Old 04-23-18, 09:28 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Originally Posted by Albo
So only place you can get the Lexus glass is from the dealer?
Yes, I believe that is correct but any glass installer can get it from Lexus for you

Dave Mac
Old 04-23-18, 11:31 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your insurance policy - some will explicitly outline that you will get used/non oem brand parts for repairs (it saves you money on your policy). But when replacement time comes and you want original parts, they'll deny.

Pilkington makes for many auto manufacturers - its good glass. When you get cheap glass, you'll often find distortions if you are not looking directly straight through...(look to side on angle).
Old 04-24-18, 12:42 AM
355F1
Racer

I didn’t have to ask for it but Lexus of Chandler (Penske Rapid something or other) used OEM Lexus glass last week on my replacement.

Geico insurance paid for it.
Old 04-24-18, 10:12 AM
thekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'll find out about this whole process pretty soon too. Mine got cracked on the way to work this morning. I got the whole thing on my dash cam footage too.

Check it out:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OVvZ2SiTRDF5Dna33

​​​​​​I did a 180 and chased the truck down & got his LP #. Called the trucking company & at first they didn't care, until I told them about the dash cam footage. Then they told me to come by their office today & they will check it out. Wondering if they will cover the damages or not. And if they do, if it will be Lexus glass.
Old 04-24-18, 10:21 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ouch

Wow that sounded bad. Nice work chasing him down. This is why its good to have a dash cam. I want one but I am afraid at how it will look inside my car and if it will be worth it. But it looks like it was worth it for you. Well done
Old 04-24-18, 11:40 PM
thekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Albo
Wow that sounded bad. Nice work chasing him down. This is why its good to have a dash cam. I want one but I am afraid at how it will look inside my car and if it will be worth it. But it looks like it was worth it for you. Well done
Yeah, the impact actually shot small bits of the windshield glass onto my face & into the back seat (and into my soda). It was definitely a good thing that I had my sunglasses on. You can actually just barely see the glass busting through at the end of the footage in the lower left corner, if you look close.

I just installed that dash cam about a week ago too. Good thing I did!! It's actually not too noticeable from the driver's seat at all -since it's hidden (from the driver) behind the rear view mirror. But of course, it's definitely noticeable from the passenger seat. The wires are hid pretty well though. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZzD1Ddk5m7yauGeC3
Old 04-25-18, 04:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by thekopp
Yeah, the impact actually shot small bits of the windshield glass onto my face & into the back seat (and into my soda). It was definitely a good thing that I had my sunglasses on. You can actually just barely see the glass busting through at the end of the footage in the lower left corner, if you look close.
Are you saying the rock went through your windshield? I can't see any damage in the video. I can hear something, but not see it. Can you post a pic of the damage?
Old 04-25-18, 07:46 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with your repair, it took them three tries to replace the front windshield on my ES last year. You will have to do OEM if you have the panoramic roof. There are supposedly no non-OEM options for it, which makes sense given that there are only a tiny percent of UL models out there (or later refreshed models with the pano roof explicitly added on)

Out of pocket cost to me was in the 400-$500 range through State Farm with all the discounts you could throw at it from multiple vehicle policies, homes, umbrella, you name it. They quoted some ridiculous amount for the actual cost, somewhere approaching 2 grand. lol.

Quick Reply: Replacing front windshield on 17 es350