ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lease ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 04:33 PM
Justbry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease ES 350

I’m going this week to lease my first Lexus, I have already agreed to a car and payment and am just waiting for the car to arrive. Is there anything I should be aware of when sitting with the business manager to sign all the papers?
Old 03-19-18, 06:22 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Justbry
I’m going this week to lease my first Lexus, I have already agreed to a car and payment and am just waiting for the car to arrive. Is there anything I should be aware of when sitting with the business manager to sign all the papers?
Yes, just say "no" to everything that is offered to you by the "finance manager" at the time of signing - extended warranty, prepaid maintenance, dent repair, vehicle etching, wheel repair, gap insurance etc. etc. and if you are told something like vehicle etching or paint protection has already been done just say you didn't order it and refuse to pay even a reduced charge for it.

And then enjoy you new car.

Dave Mac
Old 03-20-18, 03:48 AM
Justbry
Driver School Candidate

I don’t normally take those things when leasing, somebody had mentioned excess wear and tear, and I was wondering how nitpicky Lexus Financial was at the end of the lease or if they had some something built into their contracts like Infiniti does.
Old 03-20-18, 07:12 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

I don’t normally take those things when leasing, somebody had mentioned excess wear and tear, and I was wondering how nitpicky Lexus Financial was at the end of the lease or if they had some something built into their contracts like Infiniti does.
I have always found Lexus to be extremely reasonable as to wear and tear issues even to tires worn beyond the state wear limits. And keep in mind when you return the car it will still be under warranty if there are problems that need to be corrected. These cars are just well built.

Dave Mac
Old 03-20-18, 07:48 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

One exception to DaveMac's blanket denial position...tire and rim replacement has paid off on both of my
last two leases. Policy costs about as much as a single tire and rim/labor to install. We had a couple
claims including one rim/tire and just a tire. Evaluate when you last curbed a rim or if you have potholes.
Maybe we have more...opportunities...in IL than FL and AZ.
Old 03-20-18, 07:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
One exception to DaveMac's blanket denial position...tire and rim replacement has paid off on both of my
last two leases. Policy costs about as much as a single tire and rim/labor to install. We had a couple
claims including one rim/tire and just a tire. Evaluate when you last curbed a rim or if you have potholes.
I also live in IL. In my entire lifetime of driving, which is a long time, I have never damaged a rim to the point of it needing repair. Tires, yes, but the rims have always survived relatively unscathed . Maybe I just pay more attention to the road.
Old 03-20-18, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I also live in IL. In my entire lifetime of driving, which is a long time, I have never damaged a rim to the point of it needing repair. Tires, yes, but the rims have always survived relatively unscathed . Maybe I just pay more attention to the road.
A bit of luck comes into play too. I also live in IL and haven't had to replace a rim (yet). I always decline the extra coverages. Just a personal preference to keep those $$'s in my pocket vs. someone else's.
Old 03-20-18, 09:54 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

I have never purchased tire and rim protection but must acknowledge that with my current leased ES I have had to replace two tires because of road hazards and (I not my wife) have curbed (luckily the same) one wheel twice. The damage is not great but I may get charged for it but I hope only about $125. The new "cut" rather than painted wheels while more attractive are not as easy to repair either. I believe the salesman trying to sell me the coverage said a damaged wheel would be replaced rather than repaired. I still don't think I will go for the wheel coverage in the future but may go to Discount Tire and purchase tire certificates for I believe is about $25 per tire. On the other hand I have never ruined one not alone two tires before in many years of driving.

Dave Mac
Old 03-20-18, 11:06 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went for the 'ding and dent' insurance for my 2016 ES 350, and have not yet used it. I live in an apartment complex, and have a lot of different people parking next to me. And during the day it's parked

in a community college campus parking lot. So I figured I'd be more likely to get my sides dented in by distracted people parking, etc. I did indeed get some scratches on one of the plastic panels

by next to the right window, but I never did anything about it. It's not part of the 'metal' and wasn't really a 'dent' or 'ding'. Looked like someone when getting out of their car, had their keys in their hands and accidentally

scraped up that plastic, and they did it multiple times.

If you're like me and you were new to Lexus, you'll love the smoothness of the ride, and I ended up going 'over' my mileage because I was driving it too much !

So you may have to exercise a bit of discipline.....
Old 03-20-18, 01:42 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

The Lexus dealer offered me tire and wheel replacement coverage when I bought the car for $1000. I declined... Shortly thereafter while backing out of a space at Home Depot, a driver right behind me started to reverse also. I quickly pulled back into my spot and nicked the RF wheel on the curb. Took off the paint and a bit of metal. I obtained the name of the repair guy for the dealer and he did it for $40.00. Can't tell it was damaged...
Old 03-20-18, 02:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Took off the paint and a bit of metal. I obtained the name of the repair guy for the dealer and he did it for $40.00. Can't tell it was damaged...
Over the years, I've built up relationships with the guys who do paintless dent removal, interior repairs, wheel repairs, etc. for the dealers in the area. When I've needed their services, I've contacted them directly, and without going through the dealer and having the dealer take its cut, getting such repairs done can be quite inexpensive. For example, the last time that I needed to have a dent removed a few years ago, I called the guy that I use and met him at a dealership where he was working. He removed the dent for $20. To me, that approach seems to make a lot more sense than spending thousands of dollars on the dent protection, interior protection, wheel and tire protection, etc. that the dealer might try to sell me.
Old 03-20-18, 02:42 PM
dsvetcov
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You should ask about the ' disposition fee ' when you turn in the lease (ex: 3 years out). Can be $300-500. It has been challenged in courts and many US mfgs have dropped it. The challenge is based on if you lease another car, they will waive it. That is discriminating.

Enjoy the car. A great choice.
David
Old 03-21-18, 06:31 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I dinged a right rear wheel to due cutting a corner too sharp on a previous LS, so, I got the tire and rim insurance for the RC F that was leased for the past three years. Well, never needed the insurance so decided to pass on the current leases. The more expensive wheels are sufficient cause to be especially careful. The ES has nice 18 inch wheels and the AWD wheel must cost an arm and both legs.
Old 03-22-18, 05:11 AM
Justbry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dsvetcov
You should ask about the ' disposition fee ' when you turn in the lease (ex: 3 years out). Can be $300-500. It has been challenged in courts and many US mfgs have dropped it. The challenge is based on if you lease another car, they will waive it. That is discriminating.

Enjoy the car. A great choice.
David
If there is a disposition fee, is it negotiable, or is it something you have to absolutely pay? How about a purchase option fee, do they charge you extra on the lease if you choose to purchase it at the end. I have done some calculations and it's actually cheaper for me to lease the vehicle and then buy it out at the end vs just buying it straight out.

I still have not signed the papers as the vehicle has not yet arrived, am just doing my due diligence buy being prepared for this daunting task i am forced to do every 8 years or so.
Old 03-22-18, 07:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

If there is a disposition fee, is it negotiable, or is it something you have to absolutely pay? How about a purchase option fee, do they charge you extra on the lease if you choose to purchase it at the end. I have done some calculations and it's actually cheaper for me to lease the vehicle and then buy it out at the end vs just buying it straight out.

I still have not signed the papers as the vehicle has not yet arrived, am just doing my due diligence buy being prepared for this daunting task i am forced to do every 8 years or so.
I was considering leasing a new Lexus when the 2019 MY comes out and downloaded this information on "how to lease". It is very comprehensive and informative. It may have some information that will be useful to you BEFORE you sign the papers. Here's a link:

https://www.leaseguide.com/lease07/

Quick Reply: Lease ES 350