ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Attn: All keyless alarms are being hacked

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 11:41 AM
victorylap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Attn: All keyless alarms are being hacked

Attention Lexus owners: Your current OEM alarm can be hacked in less than 60 seconds by gadgets bought over the internet. I learned the hard way when my ES 2016 was disarmed and valuable stolen from my vehicle and I never heard the alarm. Two other later model European cars were broken into again with no alarms triggered.
I am looking for an aftermarket alarm add-on integrated interface with the OEM factory alarm. Go to You Tube and look up auto theft prevention and you can see footage of vehicles being hacked and stolen. This is a very bad security issue. Lexus Corporate has no clue, so they said, about such hacks! Hope this wake up call can save you the pain I had to endure.
Old 03-17-18, 11:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by victorylap
Attention Lexus owners: Your current OEM alarm can be hacked in less than 60 seconds by gadgets bought over the internet. I learned the hard way when my ES 2016 was disarmed and valuable stolen from my vehicle and I never heard the alarm. Two other later model European cars were broken into again with no alarms triggered.
I am looking for an aftermarket alarm add-on integrated interface with the OEM factory alarm. Go to You Tube and look up auto theft prevention and you can see footage of vehicles being hacked and stolen. This is a very bad security issue. Lexus Corporate has no clue, so they said, about such hacks! Hope this wake up call can save you the pain I had to endure.
They can open my car because I don't keep anything valuable inside. Nothing in the trunk either. Just invites theft. Most they'll get is a plastic ice scraper and a pair of sunglasses...
Old 03-18-18, 03:56 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Houses, cars and businesses can all be broken into, regardless of alarm system.

I have always presumed that anything in the trunk was always at risk.
Old 03-18-18, 08:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

So, how did they get in? As other's have said, don't leave valuables in the car. It's not a safe.
Old 03-18-18, 04:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

This has been issue on all car makers with keyless ignitions for a few years now. They all try to get ahead of it but these criminals are relentless, so like others have said, best not to leave any valuables in the car.

Maybe consider getting a discreet dash cam? Usually these thieves are quick and take whatever is easy but might miss your little dash cam that records even when the car is switched off. They have ones that seem to disguise as sensors when mounted on the windshield.
Old 03-18-18, 05:18 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I heard about this before. Crooks can now use electronics to steal the signal from the fob-even while it’s in your house-and then use it to open your doors. Crazy.
Old 03-18-18, 06:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
I heard about this before. Crooks can now use electronics to steal the signal from the fob-even while it’s in your house-and then use it to open your doors. Crazy.
Not actually true on modern vehicles.
Old 03-18-18, 06:29 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not actually true on modern vehicles.
Actually, it is true. There's a video online out of the U.K. showing two thieves stealing a Benz. One stands at the front door to a home with a scanner that picks up the signal from a smartkey (like the one we have with our Lexus cars). He relays this signal to an accomplice standing next to the Benz with a laptop that opens the doors. Shortly thereafter they both get in the Benz and drive away... Here's the video...

Old 03-19-18, 05:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...keyless-entry/
Old 03-19-18, 05:49 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

If its on the internet it must be true.
I dont even trust stories from TV news anymore.
Old 03-19-18, 07:58 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have been able to ascertain so far is that these code grabbers can only function if you locked your vehicle using the fob. Locking your vehicle with the lock button inside on the door handle will not activate a signal between the vehicle and the fob. Therefore the signal cannot be hacked and or copied even if the one of the hackers is near the keyfob. eg. store, driveway.
AND don`t leave stuff in plain view inside the car.
There are rumors that many of the Oem`s are now using rolling code similar to garage door openers to prevent hacking. I was not able to confirm this from a reliable source. This would be the ideal solution .....I think.
Old 03-19-18, 03:14 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetguy
From what I have been able to ascertain so far is that these code grabbers can only function if you locked your vehicle using the fob. Locking your vehicle with the lock button inside on the door handle will not activate a signal between the vehicle and the fob. Therefore the signal cannot be hacked and or copied even if the one of the hackers is near the keyfob. eg. store, driveway.
AND don`t leave stuff in plain view inside the car.
There are rumors that many of the Oem`s are now using rolling code similar to garage door openers to prevent hacking. I was not able to confirm this from a reliable source. This would be the ideal solution .....I think.
are you an auditor?