ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nav, radio, usb won't work - climate control does?

Old 03-15-18, 05:31 PM
BCD2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav, radio, usb won't work - climate control does?

ES 350 - 2013 - 81K Miles, original owner.

I've been searching online and throughout this forum with not much luck. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction.

The other day my battery died (it was the original). I jumped it with cables, and I am positive that I did so correctly. Went to replace the battery and realized that my navigation screen, radio, and the USB outlet were not working. Additionally I found my trunk release was not working on neither the FOB nor button near the gas release.

After replacing the battery I've done the following in attempts to restore:
  • I disconnected the negative on the battery for 10 minutes.
  • I reset the ECU by removing the two fuses from the under the hood and replacing them a few minutes later
  • I tried holding down the radio button for 5, 10, 30 seconds.

It is now at the dealership for the second day. The first day they said they had no idea what was wrong with it but would check the fuses. Today, I am told they checked the fuses and they're fine and that I need to replace the video console for $2,100. However, they were able to get the trunk release to work again. When I asked them how they know the console was bad they said it was because the fuses were fine, it's the console by default. Not feeling too comfortable with the dealership at this moment. When I explained the situation at drop off, they acted as if they had never heard of such a thing.

Maybe I'm confused but from what I have read on the forum if the climate control works then it doesn't mean a faulty navigation system/console. My climate control works (both heat & AC). Hoping someone could help point me in the next direction. I'll be picking up my car tomorrow to take it to a local shop, but is there anything either of these places can do to confirm its a bad console and not just their next guess?

Thank you in advance,
Michelle
Old 04-13-18, 12:11 PM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Only thing I can offer is an experience I had with my Q7 - the MMI unit (multimedia interface) was shorted out due to a leak. Stereo basically was dead (no navi). Climate worked. Had to replace the amp at a tune of 1300 for the part, and things worked again.

Wondering if you shorted a similar unit that controls the information centre...