ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:54 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel lock key

I went for service, and mechanic couldn't find the wheel lock key in the car. I think when they serviced the car last year, and rotated the tires, they have lost the key, but of course they wouldn't accept, and my fault is that i didn't check for it. So, now what to do? How to get a replacement key? Thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 08:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

There should be a card within the documents that were inside the glove compartment with a wheel lock key number. Also on the card is a phone number to call to buy an additional key. The company that has about 90% of this business is MC GARD. I've done business with them and bought a replacement key. Cost about $15.00. Here's their phone number in New York: (716) 662-8980.

Now if you can't find the key number card you'll have to take a photo of the lug nut (a very clear close up shot) and send it to them. This way they can match the key that you require. GOOD LUCK and let us know how you make out...

Last edited by bc6152; 02-13-18 at 09:00 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by bc6152:
Armstrong9 (12-21-20), Brook52 (10-16-23), mss1234 (02-13-18), PatrickAz (12-24-20), Rafadog (03-01-19), texas008 (09-21-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-18, 10:37 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, i will try that once reach home from office.
Old 02-14-18, 06:17 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok, I always thought that dealers and tire shops could always remove a locking lug nut, am I wrong?
I assumed that they would have a special socket that slid over the nut and when "pounded on" would result in sufficient friction to avoid spinning when twisted and would break the nut free.
Is that not how they work?
Unlike after market locking lug nuts that I've seen way in the past, the nuts for a Lexus are one piece and provided the socket results in sufficient "gription" should be easily removable, right?
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 02-14-18, 06:33 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
Ok, I always thought that dealers and tire shops could always remove a locking lug nut, am I wrong?
I assumed that they would have a special socket that slid over the nut and when "pounded on" would result in sufficient friction to avoid spinning when twisted and would break the nut free.
Unlike after market locking lug nuts that I've seen way in the past, the nuts for a Lexus are one piece and provided the socket results in sufficient "gription" should be easily removable, right?
This is indeed a possibility but only as a last resort. Better to have the actual key to remove a lug nut. Also, many shops will not jam a socket onto a lug nut for fear of damage to the wheel. This is why replacement keys are available... Obviously the best solution is to keep the key number documentation in a safe place for reference.
Old 02-14-18, 06:49 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>This is indeed a possibility but only as a last resort. Better to have the actual key to remove a lug nut.
Sure, of course, but I would imagine that when a car came in without the lug key, that it would be considered as a last resort and the mechanic would probably be practiced in doing it safely.
But, actually for a car like ours', I think locking lug nuts are unnecessary. Perhaps when the car is new and fresh off the dealers lot, but after a couple of year of use, the wheels will have gotten scratched and the tires worn. I think someone would have to be pretty desperate to want to bother lifting them since they really aren't special in anyway now that every car is coming new with 18" or larger alloy wheels and all-season touring tires.
Better to wait for a car with BMW rondels or Merc center caps...
I have locks on my new-to-me Jaguar but I'm planning on removing them. Why? Because wheels for a modern Jaguar only fit other modern Jaguars and everybody with a modern Jaguar already has a set of wheels, that's why.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 02-14-18, 07:46 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My "weekend play-around car+ (2007 Roush Mustang) was bought used with Gorilla locking lugnuts on 2 of the wheels. There was no key and even after ordering the correct replacement key from Gorilla the nuts still could not be broken loose either by me or a professional mechanic. He had no choice but to use the "special socket". He did get them off but ruined his socket in the process! I replaced the lugs with the McGards and while my key is safely tucked away I did think that McGard made a "master key" for professioal use when the original key is missing. However his best bet as has already been said is to secure the proper replacement key. Hope he has less aggrevation than I did!
Old 02-14-18, 07:49 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I remove my wheel locks within the first hour of ownership - unless I can get the dealer to do it before I take delivery. Just don't need them and find them to be an inconvenience both during ownership and after selling/trading-in. I haven't had wheels stolen since 1967 and didn't even know that happened very often any more. Lexus lug nuts from parts are crazy expensive - like 8 - 10 dollars each - and I usually move them from car to car.

You can most likely get a new key and not damage your wheels with a little patience. I notice that often neither the dealers nor tire shops use the key in the vehicle so I assume they have some sort of master sets. Several years ago my son traded in a truck with some expensive wheels and locks and I carefully placed the key right on the seat. Of course the first thing they did was throw it out and then call me a few days later to ask about the key. They didn't seem too concerned and said they could handle the problem - calling me was just the first option.

Good luck with yours.

Dave
Old 02-14-18, 08:21 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I remove my wheel locks within the first hour of ownership - unless I can get the dealer to do it before I take delivery. Just don't need them and find them to be an inconvenience both during ownership and after selling/trading-in. I haven't had wheels stolen since 1967 and didn't even know that happened very often any more. Lexus lug nuts from parts are crazy expensive - like 8 - 10 dollars each - and I usually move them from car to car.

Dave

That's actually not a bad idea, I may start doing that as well.

Anyone that wants to actually steal your rims can get those locking nuts off asap anyway. I get sick of fooling with them whenever I take my wheels off. And factory rims are rarely stolen anymore, its like car stereos. It seems to have really died out as a pass time.

I guess if you have some fancy aftermarket rims and you park outdoors a lot, it probably still makes sense to keep them, but I'm guessing most people here have factory rims and their car is usually garaged.
Old 02-14-18, 08:25 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

No locks for me either. Too much of a PITA. Found out the hard way that locking lug nuts are to be hand tightened only - no air tool use on the locking lug nut. Had three large men try to get one off and NADA. Took mine off the Lexus and off the Corvette. Perhaps the OP will do the same after this...
Old 02-14-18, 08:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I notice that often neither the dealers nor tire shops use the key in the vehicle so I assume they have some sort of master sets. Several years ago my son traded in a truck with some expensive wheels and locks and I carefully placed the key right on the seat. Of course the first thing they did was throw it out and then call me a few days later to ask about the key. They didn't seem too concerned and said they could handle the problem - calling me was just the first option.

Good luck with yours.

Dave
When I've taken my cars to a dealer or a tire shop to get a rotation done and when I've given them the wheel lock key, I've also been told that they don't need it. So, I've assumed that they did have some sort of master key.

If that is the case, it would seem likely that serious thieves would also have master keys. So, I'm not sure how much value there is in having wheel locks.

I do recall, though, that a sales manager at a Lexus dealer told me that, when they order new cars for their inventory, they order all of them with wheel locks to reduce that chances of wheel theft while the cars on their lot.
Old 02-14-18, 08:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Makes sense Les. Same thing with luggage locks. All the thieves have keys. They got me in Paris...
Old 02-14-18, 09:03 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
Yes. tire shop can remove lock nut without key with special tool. Speaking of lock nut, if a tire thief wants the wheel and tire, it does not matter whether there is lock nut or not.
Old 02-14-18, 11:33 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I do recall, though, that a sales manager at a Lexus dealer told me that, when they order new cars for their inventory, they order all of them with wheel locks to reduce that chances of wheel theft while the cars on their lot.

The wheel locks are all Port Installed Options like the trunk mat and cargo net and are probably good profit. On I think my 2013 I asked why my salesman couldn't just get 4 lug nuts for me and my salesman said "sure" but was not able to find even one because of this. I did succeed on my 2016 in getting the car with no port installed options although they had to correct the order 3 times to keep those options off the car and at one time offered to just give them to me but I did not want the trunk lip spoiler at any cost and ultimately the car arrived just as I wanted. Can you just imagine how many sets of lug nuts they must pile up at the port or do they eventually send them back to the factory. Years ago I believe it was Mercedes that changed out the batteries and either tires and wheels or just tires to overcome the problem from shipping - that may have made sense. I have often wondered if there wasn't some rule, Union, Federal or whatever that required that something be installed in United States.

Dave Mac
Old 02-14-18, 11:50 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Dealers have a master set of McGard locking lug sockets. They are much more rugged
than the civilian issue. Not only can they use the air tools with them, they never have to
ask for or look for the original.
OP - take the car to any Lexus Dealer to have the lock removed. I support the stated
opinions that they are near worthless, consider having that Dealer spin them all off.

Quick Reply: wheel lock key