ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 11:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Dealers have a master set of McGard locking lug sockets. They are much more rugged
than the civilian issue. Not only can they use the air tools with them, they never have to
ask for or look for the original.
OP - take the car to any Lexus Dealer to have the lock removed. I support the stated
opinions that they are near worthless, consider having that Dealer spin them all off.
The whole idea of "hand tighten only" is so that the average person kneeling alongside an interstate can remove the locking lug nut with a cross wrench without stripping it. They are not to be tightened with an air wrench at the dealer or anywhere else according to MC Gard......
Old 02-14-18, 02:03 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I always buy a spare key from McGard immediately after I take delivery of a new Lexus and keep it in the glove compartment while the original stays in the trunk. When I bring the car in for new tires I move the new key into the center console area and tell them the location (and I usually keep the trunk locked since they don't need my jack).
Old 02-15-18, 03:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Glad this thread came up.. it reminds me to order a set of lug nuts so I can get rid of the locking lugs on my Lexus... I know the dealership doesn't need my key to pull the locking lug, but I remember when I bought new tires for my car... handed the locking key to the guy at the counter - tires were installed and I was half way home before I realized that they didn't give me the key back... turned right around and went back and the tire tech left it sitting on a bench. I've already gotten rid of the locking lugs on my 4 runner... need to do it for my lexus next.. anybody know of anyplace on line that sells a set of matching lug nuts for a 2013 Lexus?

Roland
The following users liked this post:
Armstrong9 (12-21-20)
Old 02-15-18, 05:46 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poppa
Glad this thread came up.. it reminds me to order a set of lug nuts so I can get rid of the locking lugs on my Lexus... I know the dealership doesn't need my key to pull the locking lug, but I remember when I bought new tires for my car... handed the locking key to the guy at the counter - tires were installed and I was half way home before I realized that they didn't give me the key back... turned right around and went back and the tire tech left it sitting on a bench. I've already gotten rid of the locking lugs on my 4 runner... need to do it for my lexus next.. anybody know of anyplace on line that sells a set of matching lug nuts for a 2013 Lexus?

Roland
Here you go Roland. OEM for half the price at the dealer and free shipping... https://www.ebay.com/itm/90084-94001...53.m1438.l2649

I ordered these myself.

Last edited by bc6152; 02-15-18 at 05:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
NdYAG (02-16-18), Poppa (02-16-18)
Old 02-15-18, 06:33 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Is there anything special about our lug nuts or are they standard Toyota chrome nuts?
I'm thinking of visiting my local Toyota dealer and buying four nuts to replace the locking ones. Would that work, or are the nuts custom to particular styles of wheels?
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 02-15-18, 08:49 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think they are pretty generic and should be available at Toyota dealerships as well as auto parts stores (at a lower price).

Dave Mac
Old 02-16-18, 03:32 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
Here you go Roland. OEM for half the price at the dealer and free shipping... https://www.ebay.com/itm/90084-94001...53.m1438.l2649

I ordered these myself.
Hey bk6152... thank you my friend for the link. After I posted on here last night I just did a generic google search and came up with something that might work out pretty good. Take a look at this link and tell me if you think they are the "exact" same thing. They look very similar to me, and they are about $2.60 per lug cheaper, but you have to order a minimum of 5 lug nuts. Also free shipping. Just curious if you think they're the same product... Either way I'm out the door for under 20 bucks and you can't beat that. Thanks again for the link, I sure appreciate it. Here's the link I was telling you about. http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Le...f5djq999gnahcr
Old 03-01-18, 02:54 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Hey guys, when this thread first came up, a few of you, like myself said you wanted to get rid of the locking lug on your wheels and just replace them with standard lugs... I went on line to order a set of 4 from a vendor on Ebay... they were less than $5 per lug with free shipping.. but before I ordered them I sent a message to the vendor to see if these were the OEM lugs.. The guy was great and told me there are actually two different part numbers for lug nuts depending on whether or not your car was built in the United States or in Japan.. He had the lugs for the american built Lexus but not for the cars built in Japan... both look the same to me but what do I know. After a lot of google searches, I found a place in Dubai ( partsouq.com ).. Yes in Dubai. Oem lugs.. I ordered 4 on the 23rd, arrived at my house on the 27th.. cost me less than 25 bucks including shipping. They look great and came in a "toyota" bag... Anyway just wanted to make sure you knew there are two different part numbers ( although I'm sure they're interchangeable as they look the same to me )..
If your car was made in the United States.. the part number is 90084-94001 If your car was made in Japan the number is 909420-1033
Attached Thumbnails wheel lock key-9094201033.jpg  
Mike728 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 04:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Hey guys, when this thread first came up, a few of you, like myself said you wanted to get rid of the locking lug on your wheels and just replace them with standard lugs... I went on line to order a set of 4 from a vendor on Ebay... they were less than $5 per lug with free shipping.. but before I ordered them I sent a message to the vendor to see if these were the OEM lugs.. The guy was great and told me there are actually two different part numbers for lug nuts depending on whether or not your car was built in the United States or in Japan.. He had the lugs for the american built Lexus but not for the cars built in Japan... both look the same to me but what do I know. After a lot of google searches, I found a place in Dubai ( partsouq.com ).. Yes in Dubai. Oem lugs.. I ordered 4 on the 23rd, arrived at my house on the 27th.. cost me less than 25 bucks including shipping. They look great and came in a "toyota" bag... Anyway just wanted to make sure you knew there are two different part numbers ( although I'm sure they're interchangeable as they look the same to me )..
If your car was made in the United States.. the part number is 90084-94001 If your car was made in Japan the number is 909420-1033
Thanks Roland!

I think you may have inadvertently moved the dash one space to the right for the Japan spec lugs. I was looking them up and the number I found is 90942-01033.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...942-01033.html

Edit: I see that the bag has this number.
Old 03-01-18, 05:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Part number ending 94001 are the ones I got from Ebay. No different than the ones on the car when built in Japan. They're on my car as I write this... $19.60...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90084-94001...53.m1438.l2649
Old 03-01-18, 01:53 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XBROKER
I just called the dealer out of curiosity. Only 6 and change there. I'm guessing the ones you all are buying online are also an exact match?
Mine are an exact match, came in a TMC bag and were shipped (free) from the U.S.A... I'm thinking that the two part numbers are because of Japan and U.S. Two part numbers, one part...

Last edited by bc6152; 03-01-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:48 AM
Poptop75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
There should be a card within the documents that were inside the glove compartment with a wheel lock key number. Also on the card is a phone number to call to buy an additional key. The company that has about 90% of this business is MC GARD. I've done business with them and bought a replacement key. Cost about $15.00. Here's their phone number in New York: (716) 662-8980.

Now if you can't find the key number card you'll have to take a photo of the lug nut (a very clear close up shot) and send it to them. This way they can match the key that you require. GOOD LUCK and let us know how you make out...
Thank you very much. Worked.

Just purchased a pre-owned (i.e., used) 2015 Lexus LS 460, went to Costco today to get my new Michelin tires and, lo and behold, we couldn't find the wheel lock key. Found this thread, looked for the wheel lock key card in the glove compartment, found it, called MGard at the number you suggested, and a new replacement key will be in Tallahassee tomorrow by FedEx.

Owe you a drink.
Old 01-15-19, 12:56 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poptop75
Thank you very much. Worked.

Just purchased a pre-owned (i.e., used) 2015 Lexus LS 460, went to Costco today to get my new Michelin tires and, lo and behold, we couldn't find the wheel lock key. Found this thread, looked for the wheel lock key card in the glove compartment, found it, called MGard at the number you suggested, and a new replacement key will be in Tallahassee tomorrow by FedEx.

Owe you a drink.
Glad to help. I'll have a Michelob...
Armstrong9 (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20, 10:46 AM
Armstrong9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me buying michellin's for my 2017 IS300 F Sport last week. Went in my owners manual and found the plastic bag which had wheel lock key replacement information.

I went to mcgard.com and ordered online which was very easy. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-21, 11:02 AM
Youdoofus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mss1234
I went for service, and mechanic couldn't find the wheel lock key in the car. I think when they serviced the car last year, and rotated the tires, they have lost the key, but of course they wouldn't accept, and my fault is that i didn't check for it. So, now what to do? How to get a replacement key? Thanks.
i bought mine with locking lugs too and i wasnt aware that they were locking nut on there when i got it. Drove it 14.5 hrs one way to northern michigan shortly after getting her, so 29 hours minimum on the road with a loaded trunk and no key for the lugs. Talk about lucky, amirite?? Anywho, when i went to get tires last week i was informed on the lock by the tire technician dude. Well, they were gonna charge me $140 to grind them off which also had the potential of damaging all 4 wheels. So, i went to my local toyota dealer in the hopes of it being a dealer add-on, which it thankfully was sinc the dealer who i got it from in the first place didnt have it either. Well, the service techs have a master set and found the pattern for mine. My options then was to just let them do the tires and say ill order the $30 key later or for $5 total, get 4 regular lug nuts. I went for the latter.

Quick Reply: wheel lock key