Do you wax your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 11:37 PM
DanBryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you wax your car?

Hello All,

It's about time to wash my 2016 ES 350 for the first time, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on using wax?

A coworker of mine who owns a 2016 GS 350 warned me not to use wax, as there are metal particles in the wax that he said would wear my paint off.

That said, he mentioned that this may be the case when using a clay bar, but might not be a problem when using liquid or gel based wax?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-10-18, 04:22 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Thoughts are do not take advice from this friend. I have never heard what your friend has stated. Been doing this for decades for our cars and many friends and never ever had a problem. If you have not waxed your car regularly than first clay bar. Than use Z2 for long lasting protection and than a coat of Collinite for incredible shine and sheathing. This all takes less than two hours total time because of drying and one hour of actual work.

Amazon Amazon

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-2.html
The following users liked this post:
DanBryant (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 04:47 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

You'll get as many different recommendations for wax brands as there are days in the year. Stick with a name brand, I like liquid, and you'll be OK. As Fred says I never heard of car wax with metal particles. Comes from the same place as your Mother making you stay out of the water for 30 minutes after lunch... BTW, in the Spring and Summer I wash my car about once week depending on rain... I also apply a liquid detailer on the roof, hood, and trunk lid as those spots get the worse abuse from bird crap and sun...I apply a quality wax at least 3-4 times a year to the entire car. The car looks beautiful... GOOD LUCK!
DanBryant (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 05:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The companies that make car waxes, polishes, etc. typically offer a range of products. Many have what they call a cleaner/wax. While I'm not sure that they contain "metal particles", they do contain mild abrasives. The cleaner waxes would typically be used on cars whose finishes have been neglected, and they would help to remove things like tree sap and bird droppings that have started to penetrate into the clear coat. For a car that has been well-maintained, a high quality pure wax is a better choice. My preferred choice would be Maguiar's professional series #26 wax, which is available in both paste and liquid form.

If I did have stubborn tree sap or bird droppings, I would be more inclined, instead of using a cleaner wax, to start by using a high quality mildly abrasive polish, like 3M Hand Glaze, and, then to apply a high quality pure wax product, such as the Maquiar's #26.

I don't bother to re-wax my vehicles nearly as often as I would have, say, 20 years ago. My vehicles spend most of their time in the garage. I avoid parking under trees. I regularly inspect the finish, and, if I see any bird droppings, tree sap, or other potential contaminants, I wash them off immediately. If I am conscientious about doing that, I find that modern clear coat finishes hold up quite well, and a good annual waxing is sufficient to protect the finish and maintain the depth of the shine. If, on the other hand, my vehicles were more frequently exposed to environmental contaminants, I would be more inclined to want the added protection provided by waxing multiple times per year.
DanBryant (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

You should spend some time looking through the detailing forum on here, as well as www.autogeek.net, www.autopia.org.

There are SO many different products out there that it will quite literally make your head spin.

I detailed professionally in college, and I've been a hobbyist detailer ever since. Personally, I think old school paste waxes and liquid waxes are outdated and anymore not worth the hassle. Nowadays my car care regimen includes a spritz down with this every time the car is washed:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html

About once a month I will wipe the car down with this:

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

I haven't actually applied a wax or sealant to a car in years. The Reload will give you a great base of protection with high slickness and good water beading, and the Blackfire spray sealant will refresh it well every wash. Takes no time or effort, and gives you plenty of protection.

One thing I'm debating doing to my new LS460L is to apply a ceramic coating.
DanBryant (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 01:20 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I wrapped my car so no need to wax
DanBryant (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 05:11 PM
OIIIIIO13
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I Just spent 4 hours buffing the scratches out of my 2015, and waxing it. I use chemical guys products for polish and wax,That said not all of their products are worth the money, stay away from their air fresheners and "ceramic coatings" They do not last at all! I did find some killer spray topcoat on amazon. It makes it bead like crazy and last longer it is to boost ceramic coatings, but works with other coatings also.

Gtechniq C2v3 Liquid Crystal 500ml

DanBryant (02-11-18)
Old 02-10-18, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

When applying a ceramic coating the application process is really important. If you aren't applying to a clean, oil and wax free surface then they won't bond and won't last.
DanBryant (02-11-18)
Old 02-10-18, 06:27 PM
OIIIIIO13
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When applying a ceramic coating the application process is really important. If you aren't applying to a clean, oil and wax free surface then they won't bond and won't last.
I agree with your statement, It takes hours to prep a car for it, once done its the best feeling ever. There are far better coating makers than Chemical guys as far as lasting. I used color and drive coating this last time and its holding up much better.
DanBryant (02-11-18)
Old 02-10-18, 08:27 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I wax once a year, always on January 1 or there abouts. I use Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax that has no metal particles (
Amazon Amazon
). I do not have a scientific way of determining whether it has any long term advantages or not: for that I would have to experiment on two cars, one of which receives wax and one doesn't over 20 years, since that is how long I keep my cars. But the wax does bring the shine out and water beads up over the entire year.
DanBryant (02-11-18)
Old 02-11-18, 01:07 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I used to wax each car annually, but very time consuming.

Then via a friend's recommendation, I paid a professional detailer to do a ceramic coating called 3H.

It has lasted years so far.
I couldn't be happier.
DanBryant (02-11-18)
Old 02-11-18, 08:04 PM
DanBryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You should spend some time looking through the detailing forum on here, as well as www.autogeek.net, www.autopia.org.

There are SO many different products out there that it will quite literally make your head spin.

I detailed professionally in college, and I've been a hobbyist detailer ever since. Personally, I think old school paste waxes and liquid waxes are outdated and anymore not worth the hassle. Nowadays my car care regimen includes a spritz down with this every time the car is washed:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html

About once a month I will wipe the car down with this:

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

I haven't actually applied a wax or sealant to a car in years. The Reload will give you a great base of protection with high slickness and good water beading, and the Blackfire spray sealant will refresh it well every wash. Takes no time or effort, and gives you plenty of protection.

One thing I'm debating doing to my new LS460L is to apply a ceramic coating.
Hello SW15LS,

A few questions for you:

1. I was actually thinking about using Blackfire before you mentioned it, and am even more interested now.

What do you think about their car shampoos?

I'm trying to figure out what the best shampoo is, as well as wheel cleaner, glass cleaner, interior cleaner and leather cleaner are (any recommendations would be greatly appreciated).

2. Given that I purchased my vehicle certified, there are a few paint marks that need to be touched up (previous owner must have dinged a few things here and there). Do you also have any recommendations for any paint pens (or touch-up pens)?

Also, should I first apply the paint pens and then wax my vehicle (as I've heard you have to wait like 30 days after you fix up the paint on your vehicle before you can wax)?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-11-18, 11:52 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

With no intention of being disrespectful to your friend that gave you the advice - please get your car care advice elsewhere.. .. I myself have never heard of a "wax" with metal particles in it... Now I have heard of rubbing compounds that you can use to remove small surface scratches, but your car is new and I can't believe you would need any sort of rubbing compound.. as for the wax itself, yes, there are a multitude of waxes on the market - I always use Mequires... Mother's is another very good brand, also Chemical Guys... it's just a matter of preference and there are several others as well. Just make sure whatever you buy is clear coat safe..Check out autogeek.com Anything and everything for your car care needs. Hope this helps.

Roland
Old 02-13-18, 06:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

DIY ceramic/nano durable coatings.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-13-18 at 07:06 PM.
DanBryant (02-15-18)
Old 02-13-18, 09:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Depending on how much you wash the car, the New Miracle waxes and the old school waxes will be washed away in a matter of time if you don't rewax the car periodically.

I still do the Old school Clay, Lightly Polish compound, and Use Old school Turtle Wax T-223 Super Hard Shell Paste Wax on my Black 2013 ES. And my other cars too. I try to rewax every 3-4 months, because I wash every week or 2 with a light capful only of good car wash detergent, and sometimes the car wash drive thru.

Seems a lot of test over the years that the Turtle Wax can paste in one of the hardest finishes out there. Everyone has there own special brew, but that's what works for me. Been working for years.

Always heard and believed that Paste wax was better than liquids, and at $7 the old Turtle Wax T-223 Super Hard Shell Paste Wax is my go to.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by jgscott; 02-13-18 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you wax your car?