Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wax your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 09:25 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetguy
X22 My exact thoughts......but there will always be people who remind me of our old plow horse on the farm with blinders.
Mequiars products, NuFinish, Turtle Wax, no longer provides a Wax protective finish on the car?
Old 02-16-18, 09:32 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've always used Meguiars products with good results. But then again I haven't owned a real "garage queen" type of car that I take out only if the planetary alignments are all in spec and if there is a 0% chance of rain.

I try to keep my cars looking nice, but I have only a carport to protect them. Still I do detail my cars, and I do take pride even in my old daily beater 2004 Tacoma with 187,000 miles, that silver paint still sparkles like new in the sunlight, yet it does have a lot of chips in the front hood. Love that Toyota quality paint, as it belonged to my dad previously and sat out in the sun in a parking lot about 5-6 hours until a shadow covered it, for about 12 years. I know a lot of cars paint would just bake off in the sunlight.
I was going to post this when I said elements and environment. I have a similar condition. I now live at a Beach Condo (no Garage or cover). I cant apply some of those Ceramic waxes in a dust and drirt free environment the way they should be while they are wet.

The waxes I have been using frequently do the job for me, and I'm satisfied with them. I also use Meguiars cleaner paste wax sometimes. as it does a good job (to me) at cleaning and removing paint visibility issues.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-16-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:40 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not a lot of point in participating in a topic of discussion if you’re not willing to be open minded about different ways of doing things.

If we’re just going to say “well each of us has our own thing we do and like, why bother discussing it” why are any of us even here?
/\This.............. appears to be coming across as condescending, when you posted your thoughts, but replied to others like this, IMO.

Reason I say this also is because No One seemed to be Not open minded about different ways or products. Also saying each has is on way and wax that they like and use, Does not mean we cannot post what we do and use here.

In fact I looked at Videos and the type of products you posted here and thought about using them, and that they would last longer. Just not good for me because, its not good for me, my car and abilities. Is that ok with you, that I made that decision, without a put down?

Last edited by jgscott; 02-16-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 10:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

No condescension intended at all, personally I found your posts condescending whether you intended them to come across that way or not.
Old 02-17-18, 09:37 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=SW15LS;10115583]No condescension intended at all, personally I found your posts condescending whether you intended them to come across that way or not.[/QUOTE

Hope you understand why your post seemed that way based on what I pointed out.

I'm not at all sure why you would see my post as condescending, merely pointing out what I wax my car with that's been best for Me? That's all I mentioned. What's best for me in my current and past situations.

Again I tell you that I was open minded enough to research and look at Videos of other newer products, and I put none of them down, in any condescending comments. Nor did I reply in a limited view, or bash the older or newer products that anyone uses here?.
Old 02-17-18, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
Hope you understand why your post seemed that way based on what I pointed out.

I'm not at all sure why you would see my post as condescending, merely pointing out what I wax my car with that's been best for Me? That's all I mentioned. What's best for me in my current and past situations.
I hope you too understand how your post seemed that way, and how continuing to try and critique how I post is in fact condescending. My suggestion is you drop the personal crap.

Same as you I am not at all sure why you would see my post as condescending, I posted what works for me, ceded that whatever works for anybody WILL work and I posted why I didn't think your suggestion that discussing these topics made no sense wasn't fair. Sorry that I know a lot about this and have a lot of first hand experience in this subject that I will share and discuss whether you like it or not.

Move on.

Nor did I reply in a limited view, or bash the older or newer products that anyone uses here?.
Its not about bashing products, but there ARE better products from an ease of use perspective and a longevity of protection perspective out today and thats a fact. I know that to be true having used both and I'm not going to hold that experience back from the forum to save your feelings. Technology and products are ever changing and there are a ton of silica based products and advanced polymers out today that are super easy to use, super forgiving meaning they don't have to be applied in a certain way or prepped beforehand a certain way like synthetic products used to need (think Zaino, Klasse, or modern ceramic coatings), using old school paste and liquid waxes/sealants compared to those more advanced products is more difficult and yields a result that protects for less time. Those are facts, you can't really refute that when you haven't tried the newer products. I've used both extensively, I'll likely never use a "wax" again. I'm not bashing the products I'm sharing my first hand experience comparing store bought and even professional grade "old school" products with these new products. The new stuff is way easier to use.

Meguiars consumer grade products, Turtle Wax Ice, Mothers products, etc they're smeary, they don't work well on hot cars and in direct sunlight, they're finicky, they build up along seams and emblems, at the edges of clear bras, etc. They have to be applied and then removed which is twice the physical effort. From a longevity perspective they don't last very long. Even the OTC spray products I've tried all smear and streak, especially in sunlight on a hot car. Thats the big difference between higher quality more professional products and over the counter cheaper consumer products, the professional products work better, they don't behave differently in different temps and lighting, etc. Just, easier to use. Had I never used any of them I wouldn't get it either.

Now if you LIKE waxes, and you LIKE waxing, then wax. Lots of people out there do like waxing cars and like wax for specific reasons and thats fine. Go on detailing forums, those people are out there. My point was many members here have been saying for them "waxing" a car is a chore they don't enjoy, and for those people I would highly suggest they try some of these more advanced silica type spray products as they make the chore much easier, and get you a much better result.

The coolest such product I would recommend is CarPro Hydro2. Its a product you spray on a washed, wet car and then rinse off under high pressure, the product flashes and bam, the car is sealed and protected. If you do that once every 2 months, from a protection point of view you won't need to do anything else, and its foolproof:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydr...t-coating.html

You can buy it in concentrate and mix it, or buy it already mixed:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro2-lite1.html

I do actually like fussing over a car and rubbing on a car, and personally I think the car looks better after its had some more detailed attention, so I use these products:

Every couple of months I use CarPro Reload. You spray a little on each panel and wipe off, no streaking or smearing, again foolproof:

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

And after each wash I use Blackfire's Synthetic Spray Wax, sprays right on and never streaks or smears:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html

These days I do wash my cars in an automatic carwash believe it or not. I like fussing over them, but hate washing cars.

I've been struggling for an analogy and came up with Sunscreen. Rub on sunscreen you buy in the drug store for $8 a bottle vs high quality Koola spray on Sunscreen that literally costs $40 a can. Sure, the old Rub on sunscreen "works" you don't get burned, but its messy, your hands get all messy, its stains your clothes, it smells, it leaves your skin greasy. The spray on Koola sunscreen does none of that, it smells like nothing, and your skin feels like you have no sunscreen at all on. One is not "bashing" traditional sunscreen by pointing out those differences exist. Having used the Koola sunscreen, I'm not going back to the old stuff and I don't think most people would want to either.

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Optimum (NRWW2012Q) No Rinse Wash & Wax - 32 oz.

I would actually recommend the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine vs the Wash and Wax. IMHO the Wax product is grabby and doesn't leave the paint as slick. Using a spray wax as you are then "Wax" component is superfluous. I would use the ONR product one panel at a time and spritz it down with the spray wax still wet and then wipe the panel down.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-17-18 at 10:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Tetguy (02-17-18), xBROKER (02-17-18)
Old 02-17-18, 11:07 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I hope you too understand how your post seemed that way, and how continuing to try and critique how I post is in fact condescending. My suggestion is you drop the personal crap.

Same as you I am not at all sure why you would see my post as condescending, I posted what works for me, ceded that whatever works for anybody WILL work and I posted why I didn't think your suggestion that discussing these topics made no sense wasn't fair. Sorry that I know a lot about this and have a lot of first hand experience in this subject that I will share and discuss whether you like it or not.

Move on.

Its not about bashing products, but there ARE better products from an ease of use perspective and a longevity of protection perspective out today and thats a fact. I know that to be true having used both and I'm not going to hold that experience back from the forum to save your feelings. Technology and products are ever changing and there are a ton of silica based products and advanced polymers out today that are super easy to use, super forgiving meaning they don't have to be applied in a certain way or prepped beforehand a certain way like synthetic products used to need (think Zaino, Klasse, or modern ceramic coatings), using old school paste and liquid waxes/sealants compared to those more advanced products is more difficult and yields a result that protects for less time. Those are facts, you can't really refute that when you haven't tried the newer products. I've used both extensively, I'll likely never use a "wax" again. I'm not bashing the products I'm sharing my first hand experience comparing store bought and even professional grade "old school" products with these new products. The new stuff is way easier to use.

Meguiars consumer grade products, Turtle Wax Ice, Mothers products, etc they're smeary, they don't work well on hot cars and in direct sunlight, they're finicky, they build up along seams and emblems, at the edges of clear bras, etc. They have to be applied and then removed which is twice the physical effort. From a longevity perspective they don't last very long. Even the OTC spray products I've tried all smear and streak, especially in sunlight on a hot car. Thats the big difference between higher quality more professional products and over the counter cheaper consumer products, the professional products work better, they don't behave differently in different temps and lighting, etc. Just, easier to use. Had I never used any of them I wouldn't get it either.

Now if you LIKE waxes, and you LIKE waxing, then wax. Lots of people out there do like waxing cars and like wax for specific reasons and thats fine. Go on detailing forums, those people are out there. My point was many members here have been saying for them "waxing" a car is a chore they don't enjoy, and for those people I would highly suggest they try some of these more advanced silica type spray products as they make the chore much easier, and get you a much better result.

The coolest such product I would recommend is CarPro Hydro2. Its a product you spray on a washed, wet car and then rinse off under high pressure, the product flashes and bam, the car is sealed and protected. If you do that once every 2 months, from a protection point of view you won't need to do anything else, and its foolproof:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydr...t-coating.html

You can buy it in concentrate and mix it, or buy it already mixed:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-hydro2-lite1.html

I do actually like fussing over a car and rubbing on a car, and personally I think the car looks better after its had some more detailed attention, so I use these products:

Every couple of months I use CarPro Reload. You spray a little on each panel and wipe off, no streaking or smearing, again foolproof:

https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-reload-spray.html

And after each wash I use Blackfire's Synthetic Spray Wax, sprays right on and never streaks or smears:

https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html

These days I do wash my cars in an automatic carwash believe it or not. I like fussing over them, but hate washing cars.

I've been struggling for an analogy and came up with Sunscreen. Rub on sunscreen you buy in the drug store for $8 a bottle vs high quality Koola spray on Sunscreen that literally costs $40 a can. Sure, the old Rub on sunscreen "works" you don't get burned, but its messy, your hands get all messy, its stains your clothes, it smells, it leaves your skin greasy. The spray on Koola sunscreen does none of that, it smells like nothing, and your skin feels like you have no sunscreen at all on. One is not "bashing" traditional sunscreen by pointing out those differences exist. Having used the Koola sunscreen, I'm not going back to the old stuff and I don't think most people would want to either.

[/I][/B]

I would actually recommend the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine vs the Wash and Wax. IMHO the Wax product is grabby and doesn't leave the paint as slick. Using a spray wax as you are then "Wax" component is superfluous. I would use the ONR product one panel at a time and spritz it down with the spray wax still wet and then wipe the panel down.
I see. LOL!

Certainly you will another issues.... with One Single "I" from me.

Last edited by jgscott; 02-17-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 11:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What? I have no idea what you’re talking about.

If you dont want to read what I post just ignore me.

What I’ve posted here is full of content that people will appreciate if it applies to them. If the OP wasn’t looking for people experience and opinions he wouldn’t have asked for them.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-17-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 12:17 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

I think that this thread has provided all of us that have subscribed, some really good information related to waxing, coating, spraying, rinsing, using water, not using water, and on and on. Many diverse viewpoints and favorite products to choose from and many different ways to preserve (or not preserve) your favorite vehicle. I, for one, wish to thank everyone that contributed as I'm a little smarter now since reading all these posts. I would also add that the OP probably has more than enough information to proceed with his/her first wash and keep his/her car sparkling... (sighing)...
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (02-17-18)
Old 02-17-18, 02:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Almost borderline too much information, on such a simple question.

"I" too, was enlighten to how dumb I was to wax my car with ancient technology products. That were working for me so well. LOL!
Old 02-17-18, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh please. If what you use works for you that’s fine, keep doing it. I said repeatedly it all works.

Do I have confidence that if you tried some of these newer products you would like them better and find that they are easier to use and give you better results? Yes. Don’t want to try? Fine. Somebody else might so hopefully I provided information and experience they will find of value.

“Too much information”? Is there any such thing?

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-17-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 03:52 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Oh please. If what you use works for you that’s fine, keep doing it. I said repeatedly it all works.

Do I have confidence that if you tried some of these newer products you would like them better and find that they are easier to use and give you better results? Yes. Don’t want to try? Fine. Somebody else might so hopefully I provided information and experience they will find of value.

“Too much information”? Is there any such thing?
Relax.

I'm going to try one day. Lets both move on.
Old 02-17-18, 04:39 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

MAN! You guys sound like a married couple!
Old 02-17-18, 08:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by autotech13
MAN! You guys sound like a married couple!
Guess in your marriage, but I've never had I problem in mine. You did go there.
Old 02-17-18, 10:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m going to bring this up at our next therapy session jg!

Quick Reply: Do you wax your car?