2013-4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ES - 6th Gen (2013-present) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013-4

Old 01-12-18, 02:42 PM   #1
XBROKER
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013-4

2013 or 2014 ES 350
Getting ready to finally pull the trigger on one of these. Any issues w/ either year I should look for ? Car faxes are clean. Just a matter of which one gives me the better deal. Been lurking in here on & off for 2 years or so. Bought an xB RS 8.0 thinking that was enough to go w/ my aged Camry. The Camry's got to go after 17 years of looking at it. The new Camrys already have ppl complaining about the 8 speed. I figure a I could get a 6 cyl and a 6 speed w/ no issues and be ahead.
XBROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 06:46 PM   #2
L3XUSFAN
Driver School Candidate

These cars tend to be very reliable and the only issue that i can think off would be the gateway computer causing battery drain. If you do a search you can see the vin range that is affected. Other than that the 2014 came with siri eyes free and led fog lights so if thats important to you get the 2014.
L3XUSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 11:21 PM   #3
Poppa
Pole Position

Xbroker... I have a 2013 and love it. Only issue I had was in cold weather I would hear a squeak in the dash. Dealership fixed it under warranty.. other than that, no problems come to mind. love my ES.

Roland
Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:48 PM   #4
XBROKER
Driver School Candidate

I thought Lexus included maintenance in the first 20k miles (on new leases) like they do w/ CPO's. Yet, I found one that had zero done on Lexus drivers or through car fax. There was actually a note that said 'no oil change' on one stop at the dealer. Looking on others I see the LOF or it spelled out if it has been done. The argument by the people who were selling me the 2014 never included free maintenance when they were trying to save the sale. No one on here brought that up either, when I broached this on another thread. Have any (further) input on this?

Last edited by XBROKER; 01-17-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 05:48 AM   #5
Mike728
Lexus Champion

The only free service included with a new Lexus is the first two, or 5k and 10k miles. Oil change is done at 10k. 5k is just a tire rotation, visual inspection and any customization settings that are dealer only type.
Mike728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 02:58 PM   #6
CFO
Driver School Candidate

I've had a 2014 for almost 8 months. I generally like it but I am having one problem. There is an intermittent rattling noise that I thought was coming from the lower rear of the car. Further research indicates that it may be "sunroof creak" for which there is a Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin. According to the bulletin, the problem is only with some 2014 cars. If you have not already done so, suggest you drive both cars over bumpy roads and listen.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 11:50 PM   #7
hisstojay
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
I've had a 2014 for almost 8 months. I generally like it but I am having one problem. There is an intermittent rattling noise that I thought was coming from the lower rear of the car. Further research indicates that it may be "sunroof creak" for which there is a Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin. According to the bulletin, the problem is only with some 2014 cars. If you have not already done so, suggest you drive both cars over bumpy roads and listen.
In addition to CFO, you can check this thread concerning the rattling/clunking noise relating to the sunroof cable...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ing-sound.html
hisstojay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 12:31 AM   #8
Poppa
Pole Position

Quote:
CFO do you have the rattle sound in cool and in warm temperatures.. I ask because I had an Avalon that whenever the temperature would fall down in the 40's or so, there was a rattle sound.. but it only did it when the outside temp. would fall into the 40's or below.. It actually sounded like it was coming from the right front A-Pillar but I googled it and someone said it was the mooon roof... so the next time I heard it I put my hand up on the glass and gave it just a little bit of pressure.. sure enough, the rattle stopped.. removed my hand and the rattle was back...Dealer said the rattle was due to expansion and contraction of metal in the sunroof itself and they would have to tear the headliner and all out to fix it...I told them no thanks since I was planning to trade it in within a few months anyway, and besides all I had to do when I heard the rattle was turn on the heater.. as soon as the cabin was warm, the rattle stopped.

Poppa
Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 04:54 PM   #9
XBROKER
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Thanks. I will do that. Put a deposit on the '13 today. Pending test drive of course. Where I live the nearest Lexus dealers are an hour to the east and west of me; and their prices are insane for CPO's. I went out of state, where I also happen to have found one 2 years ago when I last considered this. Since the new Camry is pretty much toast, it was time.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #10
CFO
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
CFO do you have the rattle sound in cool and in warm temperatures.. I ask because I had an Avalon that whenever the temperature would fall down in the 40's or so, there was a rattle sound.. but it only did it when the outside temp. would fall into the 40's or below.. It actually sounded like it was coming from the right front A-Pillar but I googled it and someone said it was the mooon roof... so the next time I heard it I put my hand up on the glass and gave it just a little bit of pressure.. sure enough, the rattle stopped.. removed my hand and the rattle was back...Dealer said the rattle was due to expansion and contraction of metal in the sunroof itself and they would have to tear the headliner and all out to fix it...I told them no thanks since I was planning to trade it in within a few months anyway, and besides all I had to do when I heard the rattle was turn on the heater.. as soon as the cabin was warm, the rattle stopped.

Poppa
When it was really cold earlier this month (temperatures in single digits or teens), the rattle seemed to disappear. Otherwise, temperatures do not seem to have any effect. According to the Technical Service Bulletin, the repair seems very complicated. They do need to remove the headliner in order to do the repair.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #11
XBROKER
Driver School Candidate

Brought home the 2013 yesterday. Odd thing happened before I traded my 01 Camry that I had since new. The CE light went out all by itself. It previously was throwing a code that told me the CAT wasn't up to snuff. I guess it really didn't want to leave a good home so it was trying to negotiate. lol

Battery also died, one day before I traded it. Tried an epsom salt hack, hoping to get it to last a few more months. It improved the battery, but it was too far gone. Walmart batteries generally last to the end of the warranty as this one did. I drove half way to the far flung dealership w/o shutting it off, hoping it would hold a charge. It would not, so I stopped and got a new one.