ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 06:57 PM
benzmac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Cam

Any one have one.If so i would like some advise before i buy one.
Thanks
Old 01-05-18, 06:16 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by benzmac
Thanks
Here's a video on the Dashcam I put in my ES. The Dashcam in the video died and was replaced with a Cobra I picked up at Costco

Old 01-06-18, 05:59 AM
benzmac
Rookie

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-18, 10:35 AM
sparkyd
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone found a dual dash cam that will work in rear window and still clear the window shade? Also have found an easy way to get from back window to front unit? The VIOFO A119S looks like it is well reviewed. Not sure if not is dual (front and rear) or just front.
Old 01-06-18, 01:41 PM
satek
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyd
Has anyone found a dual dash cam that will work in rear window and still clear the window shade? Also have found an easy way to get from back window to front unit? The VIOFO A119S looks like it is well reviewed. Not sure if not is dual (front and rear) or just front.
It is 1 view only, so either front or back only.
Old 01-08-18, 10:07 AM
benzmac
Rookie

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5BC6BE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01F5BC6BE&pd_rd_wg=D0QQr&pd_rd_r=571BW9CGY6BHARBJR0BA&pd_rd_w=OCKHY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5BC6BE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01F5BC6BE&pd_rd_wg=D0QQr&pd_rd_r=571BW9CGY6BHARBJR0BA&pd_rd_w=OCKHY
Just ordered this one.

Last edited by benzmac; 01-08-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 12:38 PM
sparkyd
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash Cam

Benz..Looking to do same on my 2017 ES. I haven't found an easy way to get cable from rear camera to front camera. Also how to clear rear shade when up. Let us know how you come out on your install...
Old 01-09-18, 01:36 PM
benzmac
Rookie

As soon as it warms up I will instill it.
Old 01-12-18, 01:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Just installed this on my Mercedes. It does have the option for a rear camera too. Picked this for the small profile.
HaloCam C1 Dash Cams FHD 1080P Car Camera Built-in WiFi Driving Recorder with Sony IMX323 Exmor CMOS G-sensor Super Clear Vision Loop Recording
Amazon Amazon
It seems like the Cobra one from Costco doesn’t have very good reviews and I wasn’t a fan with how big the unit was when mounted, so I returned it.
Old 01-16-18, 05:51 PM
benzmac
Rookie

Originally Posted by sparkyd
Benz..Looking to do same on my 2017 ES. I haven't found an easy way to get cable from rear camera to front camera. Also how to clear rear shade when up. Let us know how you come out on your install...
Check out my last Post.
Old 01-25-18, 03:41 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
That helps if we want to know how to get the console down; but where did you tap in and how did you run the wire into the console? Seems more focused on a tour of your neighborhood, which is nice don't get me wrong.
At 5:25 I gave the color coding for the wires in my connector for ignition controlled wires. I also suggested verifying the wiring in your vehicle with a meter.
You are correct I did not mention how to run the wire, that can be fairly personal since not everyone wants the camera positioned in the same location. However, it simply was passed through the headliner where the mirror exits. This is fairly obvious when you're in there and the easiest way to pull the wire through.

Thanks for watching
The following users liked this post:
xBROKER (01-26-18)
Old 01-25-18, 05:25 PM
sparkyd
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash cam

I was all ready to order one. When I was asked if they were legal in my state (Iowa) come to find out they are not. You may want to check for your location..Dave
Old 01-25-18, 07:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by benzmac
Thanks
I have six dash cams.
All the dashcams so far listed on this thread are non-brand name dashcams, hence have little if any testing.

Presently, there are a number of top dashcams - and well tested.

There is the Taiwanese Dod LS500W+ dual channel dashcam with 1920x1080 @ 30 fps and its single channel partner, the Dod LS475W+ 1920x1080 @ 60 fps; apparently low light quality is very good with the latest Sony sensor, however, there are a lot of bugs in this model.
Better to go for last year's Dod LS470W+ with single channel, only 30 fps and the old Sony sensor, with very good low light quality, and no bugs, but this is an old model, and it may no longer be manufactured.

There is also a Taiwanese Vicovation Vico Opia 2 and Vico MF3.
This has QHD resolution at 2560 x 1440, however some testers find that the extra QHD hi resolution compromizes the low light performance.

Neither Dod nor Vicovation models will suit motorized rear sunshades because of their traditional bulky ball joint designs.
Thus, I use StreetGuardians.

My missus' 2017 IS200t is fitted with 2x single channel StreetGuardian SG9665GC's, because back in 2016, this had the best low light quality, and it has a simple clean and compact "direct mount".
My old GS350 with motorized rear sunshade is also fitted with 2x single channel SG9665GC's.
You must measure the gap between the motorized rear sunshade and the glass of the rear windscreen to see if the SG9665GC's will fit in your 6ES.

Here is the difference in quality between an SG9665GC and an old 2016 favorite called the Korean Blackvue DR-650S.
Back in 2016, the dual channel dashcams simply did NOT have adequate processing power to process two channels simultaneously, hence two single channel dashcams delivered superior quality to one dual channel dashcam like the old DR-650GW/S.
The GW and S have different features, but the same video quality.
Furthermore, the DR-650 Series had 1920x1080 front, but only 1024x768 rear resolution.

SG9665GC

Blackvue DR-650GW/S

Someone mentioned Viofo A119S above?
The Viofo is great value for money.
Really cheap, but satisfactory low light video.
However, if you want a quality dashcam to match the quality of your Lexus ES, and your ES isn't just a Kia or Nissan, then you will find that the Viofo A119S falls short in low light performance.
The Viofo is more like a Camry/Accord, or even a Nissan Altima or Hyundai - than a Lexus ES.

Now, we are in 2018.
CPU processors are now much quicker, and able to process data from two channels front and rear simultaneously.

StreetGuardian now have an all new SG9663DC dual channel dashcam with the latest Sony Xmor R sensor front, and the older Sony Xmor sensor rear, for 1920 x 1080 front and rear @ 30 fps each, or operate it as only a single channel dashcam with 1920x1080 @ 60 fps for superior slow motion detail.
The rear dash cam is a much smaller unit, and will have little trouble fitting beneath most rear motorized sunshades.

It's up to the owner if they want to use one dual channel SG9663DC @ 30 fps, or if one wants to use two SG9663DC's @ 60 fps for superior slow motion detail.
Because the new SG9663DC also has a wider LCD display plus a thinner design, and this will fit between more compact rear motorized sunshades like my 4GS.

Personally, I would recommend one dual channel SG96663DC @ 30 fps, or two single channel SG9663DC @ 60 fps - depending on how keen you are for quality.

If you're willing to wait a month or so, StreetGuardian have a forthcoming dual channel "remote lens" dashcam where the lens and sensor is separate from the PC unit which is stored in the glovebox or under the front seats - to prevent solar thermal damage.
The electronics and performance is the same as the SG9663DC above, but the design and form factor is far more intelligent.
I have no photos nor model name for this forthcoming model, but below the the current model SGZC12RC single channel remote lens dashcam that is single channel only, and about to be superseded.
It uses an LCD touchscreen, with a single capture button on top.

Koreans also have the Thinkware F800 Pro.
It has all the latest features including dual channel at 30 fps, or single channel at 60 fps.
The low light video quality is very good.
However, the front camera design is very bulky in size for an unit that does NOT have a built-in LCD screen.
The video can be uploaded to the cloud, but I don't know why anyone would want to do this, because it will cost cell phone data, and the upload will be very slow.
Furthermore, there is the hassles of cellphones being illegal to handle while driving, plus Bluetooth app connectivity issues that many people still have.

Lately, Korean Pittasoft now have the Blackvue DR-750 dual channel dashcams with the latest features including both 1920x1080 front and rear @ 30 fps, or just single channel only at 60 fps.
Like its Korean rival, the DR-750 also has cloud upload.
However, the Bluetooth wireless connection is still a headache for many users because it is illegal to touch the cell phone while driving, and the dashcam and cell phone app often have connectivity issues.

It is my wish that one day, manufacturers will take advantage of their existing built-in cameras & 12" dash sat nav LCD displays etc, and integrate dashcams into the motor car from the factory OEM, so that we don't have to go to all this trouble, and have to tuck cables in etc.

I am going to stop here, because I don't want to bore you any further...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-25-18 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 08:43 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the BlackVue DR750S-2CH full HD 60 FPS front and 30 FPS rear. The cameras are fairly small especially the rear camera. Have only had it installed about a week, but so far, very happy with it.
Got a great price on it which is why I bought it.

https://smile.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR...vue+dr750s-2ch
Old 01-25-18, 10:23 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I strongly agree with Peteharvey in regards to the 9665gc Street Guardian. I had mine in my 2008 Es for 2years and was very satisfied with it. Excellent quality ,and great after sale customer service. I`ve been looking at putting in a new model with a rear dashcam and I was unaware that Street Guardian had come out with one. Street Guardian rear view it is.. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam