Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 11:48 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looking for a new car.

My previous car is a 2013 ES 350.

I'm considering between the Infiniti Q50 and the Lexus ES 350.

I went to the Infiniti dealer drove both the Q50 RWD 3.0 Luxe, and the Q50 RWD 3.0 Sport.

I asked about all wheel drive, but the dealer said they didn't have many in stock.

The differences with what they had in stock came down to surround sound for the Luxe, vs. the trim, performance tires, and better handling for the Sport. With only a $100 difference between them, I preferred the Sport, for the handling. But would have been happy with either one.

Neither had memory seats.

When the dealer showed the offer, he had an optional package for warranty for the electronics included. Since I only drive 5,000 miles a year, I asked for a better time based offer.

The best he could do was a 7 year, 80K warranty on the electronics, for $3500.

I then went home and looked at my sales sheet for the 2013 ES 350. I didn't get any kind of extended warranty on the electronics back then.

Should I have gotten it back in 2013? Do I need it?

I'm going to look at the 2018 ES 350 next. I'm happy to see that the active safety features which were only available on the super premium package for $7000 more back in 2013, are now included standard. Features such as lane departure with steering assist, and active collision prevention.
Old 01-02-18, 01:33 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

How can I find what the official interior colors were for my 2013? I looked at the sticker from 2013, but I can't find it. I can only find the exterior color, obsidian.

Would my dealer have the official interior color?

What color and trim does this look like?

https://i.imgur.com/vv9vllx.jpg

Here's a picture I found online which looks to have a similar interior and trim:

If I compare that with the 2018 colors, is "Black with Espresso Bird's-Eye Maple trim" the same thing?

Here's a picture from 2018 from Lexus' website:

I think I would only like the Espresso with Bird's Eye Maple, or the Piano Black trim.

What's with the tiny holes in these 2018 seats? My 2013 seats had a smooth look to them.

Are the tiny holes the "ventilated seats"? If so, I'd rather not get the ventilated seats. They look better without them and I don't need this feature.

Reading more about this, it looks like they call them "Perforated NuLuxe seats". Again, can I get the non perforated ones?
Old 01-02-18, 04:04 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Everyone has their own criteria and weighs them when deciding between car manufacturers. These two are my top two. Before converting to Lexus, I had my share of unreliable cars. I do not understand those that buy luxury auto's and than have them always in need of repair and than get gouged when taking them in for routine maintenance all for a symbol on their hood. My thinking is the more you pay for a car the more reliable it should be and the least expensive to maintain.
Old 01-02-18, 04:57 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

So BMWs are relatively reliable but extremely expensive to maintain, whereas Lexus vehicles are both cheap to maintain and reliable. I know which one I'd rather go for

So why in the world do people keep buying BMWs? Woe to the owner who keeps the blasted thing for 10 years.
Old 01-02-18, 06:15 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the holes in the seats are no doubt for the ventilated system. You can get the seats without the holes but I believe you will then have to settle for a base model as the ventilated seats are part of Luxury/UL trim packages. The base model will also come with the non-leather or "nuluxe" seats if that matters. The picture of the 2018 looks exactly like the interior on my 2017 (My exterior color is Eminent White Pearl). I much prefer the maple trim over the piano black trim that was on my 2014, especially around the driver cup holder. The paino trim scratches much too easily. As far as Lexus over Infiniti goes there is no doubt in my mind that Lexus builds a more reliable vehicle. Check out some Infiniti user boards for the complaints.
Old 01-02-18, 06:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
How can I find what the official interior colors were for my 2013? I looked at the sticker from 2013, but I can't find it. I can only find the exterior color, obsidian.

Would my dealer have the official interior color?

What color and trim does this look like?

Here's a picture I found online which looks to have a similar interior and trim:

If I compare that with the 2018 colors, is "Black with Espresso Bird's-Eye Maple trim" the same thing?

Here's a picture from 2018 from Lexus' website:

I think I would only like the Espresso with Bird's Eye Maple, or the Piano Black trim.

What's with the tiny holes in these 2018 seats? My 2013 seats had a smooth look to them.

Are the tiny holes the "ventilated seats"? If so, I'd rather not get the ventilated seats. They look better without them and I don't need this feature.

Reading more about this, it looks like they call them "Perforated NuLuxe seats". Again, can I get the non perforated ones?
The interior on your 2013 ES would have been the black NulLuxe with piano black trim. The base and premium package 2013 ES had the non-perforated NuLuxe interior with piano black trim. The 2013 Luxury Package ES had a perforated leather with piano black trim, and the Ultra Luxury Package had semi-aniline leather perforated seats with piano black trim.

For 2018, I believe that all ES come with perforated seats. The base and Premiere Package come with perforated NuLuxe seats and piano black trim. The Luxury Package has leather seats and a variety of wood trim choices, and the Ultra Luxury Package has semi-aniline leather seats and a variety of wood trim choices

Last edited by lesz; 01-02-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 08:08 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
Everyone has their own criteria and weighs them when deciding between car manufacturers. These two are my top two. Before converting to Lexus, I had my share of unreliable cars. I do not understand those that buy luxury auto's and than have them always in need of repair and than get gouged when taking them in for routine maintenance all for a symbol on their hood. My thinking is the more you pay for a car the more reliable it should be and the least expensive to maintain.
Nice rankings. Thanks.
Old 01-02-18, 08:11 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the holes in the seats are no doubt for the ventilated system. You can get the seats without the holes but I believe you will then have to settle for a base model as the ventilated seats are part of Luxury/UL trim packages. The base model will also come with the non-leather or "nuluxe" seats if that matters. The picture of the 2018 looks exactly like the interior on my 2017 (My exterior color is Eminent White Pearl). I much prefer the maple trim over the piano black trim that was on my 2014, especially around the driver cup holder. The paino trim scratches much too easily. As far as Lexus over Infiniti goes there is no doubt in my mind that Lexus builds a more reliable vehicle. Check out some Infiniti user boards for the complaints.
Thanks. My 2013 had the nuluxe so I was fine with it. I will inquire if there's any way an upgraded model could come with it.

What do the ventilated seats do? Is there anything that is controllable from the climate control? Or is it just to provide a cooler temperature wise seat via more air flow?
Old 01-02-18, 08:17 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
The interior on your 2013 ES would have been the black NulLuxe with piano black trim. The base and premium package 2013 ES had the non-perforated NuLuxe interior with piano black trim. The 2013 Luxury Package ES had a perforated leather with piano black trim, and the Ultra Luxury Package had semi-aniline leather perforated seats with piano black trim.

For 2018, I believe that all ES come with perforated seats. The base and Premiere Package come with perforated NuLuxe seats and piano black trim. The Luxury Package has leather seats and a variety of wood trim choices, and the Ultra Luxury Package has semi-aniline leather seats and a variety of wood trim choices
Thank you. I will also inquire / investigate about this.

Can you also post or link to some pictures of the leather and semi-aniline leather, so I can confirm I'm looking at the same thing? Thanks.

Originally Posted by lesz
Just to confirm, this is piano black trim, from my 2013?

My car:

https://i.imgur.com/vv9vllx.jpg

Online photo which looks similar:

https://i.imgur.com/8JiYysC.png
Old 01-02-18, 08:18 AM
complete23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must say please check all details on goggle the best car of the year and what your price i must say bmw car really superb to buy
Old 01-02-18, 08:19 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Also, from my initial post, what do you think about the extended electronics warranty?

I checked my sales sheet from 2013, and I didn't get any such thing.

Should I get an extended electronics warranty, such as what the Infiniti dealer offered (7 years, 80 K miles, $3400), from whichever car I buy next, whether Infiniti or Lexus?
Old 01-02-18, 08:27 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
I did try researching online.

From your research, what type of problems would something like an Infiniti Q50 have, that a Lexus ES 350 is less likely to have?

I didn't have many miles on my 2013 ES 350 (18, 600+), but I didn't have any maintenance issues.
Old 01-02-18, 09:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Looking at the G50 in Consumer Reports, they give it a pretty high score in their Road Test (85) and Below Average for Reliability and Owner Satisfaction. If it's a new model some of these scores might change as info becomes available.
Old 01-02-18, 11:00 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Looking at the G50 in Consumer Reports, they give it a pretty high score in their Road Test (85) and Below Average for Reliability and Owner Satisfaction. If it's a new model some of these scores might change as info becomes available.
Q50, not G50.

Thanks for the info. I guess you have to be a subscriber to see the Road Test and Reliability scores?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...tings#pagestop

If you can share, what were the scores for the 2018 ES 350?
Old 01-02-18, 11:03 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Thanks. My 2013 had the nuluxe so I was fine with it. I will inquire if there's any way an upgraded model could come with it.

What do the ventilated seats do? Is there anything that is controllable from the climate control? Or is it just to provide a cooler temperature wise seat via more air flow?
One more thing about the perforated seats.

From the Nuluxe from the 2013 ES 350, which didn't have perforated seats, I never thought that the seats were too hot to sit in.

Every car, model, and driver is different, but I was fine with the temperature of the seats across various weathers. I also didn't think the steering wheel was too hot to touch during heat, unlike previous cars at times.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.