ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 11:15 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There are a lot of differences between the Q50 and the ES350.

The Q50 is rear wheel drive and the 3.0 model has a turbocharged V-6 engine. Compared to the ES, it will be faster and more fun to drive. The ES will have a smoother, quieter ride and a much larger rear seat and trunk. Styling is much different but it is very subjective. I would suggest you make your selection based on what fits your driving style and needs best.

It is my opinion that most of the extended warranties are just more dealer profit and not needed particularly on a Lexus. The $3500 sounds like a rip-off to me.
Old 01-02-18, 12:57 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
There are a lot of differences between the Q50 and the ES350.

The Q50 is rear wheel drive and the 3.0 model has a turbocharged V-6 engine. Compared to the ES, it will be faster and more fun to drive. The ES will have a smoother, quieter ride and a much larger rear seat and trunk. Styling is much different but it is very subjective. I would suggest you make your selection based on what fits your driving style and needs best.

It is my opinion that most of the extended warranties are just more dealer profit and not needed particularly on a Lexus. The $3500 sounds like a rip-off to me.
Thank you.
Old 01-03-18, 04:49 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Thanks. My 2013 had the nuluxe so I was fine with it. I will inquire if there's any way an upgraded model could come with it.

What do the ventilated seats do? Is there anything that is controllable from the climate control? Or is it just to provide a cooler temperature wise seat via more air flow?
The ventilated seats provide either cold or warm air to the seat depending on the console setting. I have never tried to adjust their settings via the climate control and not sure if you can. The switch is on the console above the transmission shifter and adjustable via a "roller" type setting to determine output. It is not "air conditioning" parse' but simply circulated air. Having lived in Key West for the duration of ownership of my 2014 I can say that the cooling does make a difference. Now living In NC, I am most appreciative of the heat setting in this colder weather. The seat generates heat way before the car is warm enough to force heat through the climate control system. It is a convenient and desirable feature to have.
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
The ventilated seats provide either cold or warm air to the seat depending on the console setting. I have never tried to adjust their settings via the climate control and not sure if you can. The switch is on the console above the transmission shifter and adjustable via a "roller" type setting to determine output. It is not "air conditioning" parse' but simply circulated air. Having lived in Key West for the duration of ownership of my 2014 I can say that the cooling does make a difference. Now living In NC, I am most appreciative of the heat setting in this colder weather. The seat generates heat way before the car is warm enough to force heat through the climate control system. It is a convenient and desirable feature to have.
Thank you.
Old 01-03-18, 08:36 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I sat in a 2018 ES 350 yesterday.

One thing I forgot to check was the backup camera.

One thing I liked about the Q50 was that it had an overhead 360 degrees view. So when parking, you can see from the camera, from an overhead view ("Around View"), if you are too close on the driver side, passenger side, or in front/rear, all at once.

However, I think the same indicators can be achieved on the ES 350 by using Park Assist? Because shows an alert if one is too close in any direction. The closer one is, the lesser the "bars" of distance between the car and a surrounding distance. If one is very close, it will be red. That's how it was on the 2013 ES 350.

Is this a proper way to think about it? The Q50 can show how close one is to surrounding objects with the overhead view and its version of park assist, while the ES 350 can show something similar minus the overhead view?
Old 01-03-18, 10:15 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I suppose the birds eye view is better, but is it that important? The Lexus park assist does provide adequate information when parking. The Q50 system is a neat gadget. Not sure it should sway one to buy one car or another. After all we’ve been parking cars for years without any gadgetry.
Old 01-03-18, 12:21 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people lease BMW's and MB's. That's why their resale prices plummet after 3 years. And you don't have to worry about maintenance costs when you lease. I too would lease BMW's as they are such fun cars to drive but I drive too much for leasing to make sense for me.
Old 01-03-18, 12:24 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by st1800
Well I suppose the birds eye view is better, but is it that important? The Lexus park assist does provide adequate information when parking. The Q50 system is a neat gadget. Not sure it should sway one to buy one car or another. After all we’ve been parking cars for years without any gadgetry.
Yeah. I'm just trying to list out the differences.

And from my 2013 ES 350, I agree the Lexus Park Assist does provide adequate information.

But I'm just trying to point out the unique features that are in one car but not the other.
Old 01-06-18, 11:51 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I placed a deposit on a 2018 ES 350 on Wednesday.

I saw with with the MSRP being lower than the Infinti Q50, combined with Costco pricing, and a little more negotiations on top of that, I could get a better deal. In addition to the unique differences the ES 350 offered that weren't in the Q50 (lane departure warning with steering assist; large rear floor area because of the FWD; memory seats).

They searched and didn't have the exterior color I wanted, Obsidian. Closest would have been Los Angeles, but it looked available.

They called the next morning and said it was already sold.

So, I'm getting it ordered from the factory. It will take 4 months. Obsidian exterior (like my 2013 ES 350); black seats; piano black trim. The sales manager said that Lexus makes all of their wood trims from the same tree, so the quality will be the same.
Old 01-06-18, 11:56 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I also see today that there's $750 in Lexus Cash if you have a current Lexus vehicle.

I'm going to call the dealer and see if he can get that for me too, even though I already placed a deposit.
Old 01-06-18, 12:16 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I also see today that there's $750 in Lexus Cash if you have a current Lexus vehicle.

I'm going to call the dealer and see if he can get that for me too, even though I already placed a deposit.
Congratulations! I also ordered my 2013 ES and waited 4 months to get it exactly the way I wanted it. It was a well worth the wait for me. Luckily when it came time for my wife to replace her 2006 GS, the 2015 ES with the options we wanted was on the lot.
Old 01-06-18, 01:08 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by jollick
Congratulations! I also ordered my 2013 ES and waited 4 months to get it exactly the way I wanted it. It was a well worth the wait for me. Luckily when it came time for my wife to replace her 2006 GS, the 2015 ES with the options we wanted was on the lot.
Thank you.

Since you have both a GS and ES, what are your thoughts on them, since you are able to drive both? And what was the approximate cost difference? Is your wife's GS a F Sport?

What were some unique things the GS had, that the ES didn't have, and vice versa?

I've read articles comparing the differences. But I think you can offer a unique perspective, since between you and your wife, you have both.

Can you tell visibly tell the difference in the trunk volume between the ES and GS?

Is the GS a RWD or AWD?
Old 01-08-18, 01:24 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I finally got a hold of someone at the dealer.

The people that I asked for over the weekend wouldn't return my calls on Saturday, they were always with customers.

The person today said that since the car hasn't come in yet, they can't apply any rebates. The car doesn't have a VIN number yet.

Once the car comes in, they'll apply whatever rebates are available.

The guy said he thinks the rebates will be better in May.

I just hope whatever rebates are available, aren't so specific that I'm excluded from it.
Old 01-10-18, 09:22 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I placed a deposit on a 2018 ES 350 on Wednesday.

I saw with with the MSRP being lower than the Infinti Q50, combined with Costco pricing, and a little more negotiations on top of that, I could get a better deal. In addition to the unique differences the ES 350 offered that weren't in the Q50 (lane departure warning with steering assist; large rear floor area because of the FWD; memory seats).

They searched and didn't have the exterior color I wanted, Obsidian. Closest would have been Los Angeles, but it looked available.

They called the next morning and said it was already sold.

So, I'm getting it ordered from the factory. It will take 4 months. Obsidian exterior (like my 2013 ES 350); black seats; piano black trim. The sales manager said that Lexus makes all of their wood trims from the same tree, so the quality will be the same.
I got a call from the sales manager today.

He said they tried submitting the order, but that the obsidian exterior and piano black trim were only available on the Ultra Luxury Package.

Bummer, as I was looking forward to having one thing be different than the previous one, and the piano black trim would have been it.

I went with my previous trim, the bird's eye maple.

The sales manager will call me back once Lexus confirms the combination of exterior and interior after submitting the order.

I'm going to call Lexus and confirm that obsidian with piano black is not available.

I can't configure it on this site below either:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2018/...onal-Equipment
Old 01-10-18, 09:57 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

On lexus website, I am able to select Obsidian exterior and black seats with piano black trim even before going into packages. Try it: http://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/series/ES/

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.