ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Old 01-10-18, 10:11 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ
On lexus website, I am able to select Obsidian exterior and black seats with piano black trim even before going into packages. Try it: http://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/series/ES/

I tried it.

But after I select packages, it restricts me. It says only one of certain trims are available with those packages.

I tried both the Ultra Luxury, and other non Ultra Luxury combinations. I couldn't find anything that would make Obsidian with black seats and piano black trim work.

Hopefully this will be cleared up via a phone call to Lexus.

And I hope somehow they can tell me that it is possible, and without the Ultra Luxury package. If they do, I'd ask them to contact the sales manager directly and help him place the order.

If it's not possible to order this combination, it's disappointing that they'd restrict it so much. What's the point of placing a custom order if I can't get the color combination I want? I could understand if I was talking about options needing certain other packages, but this is purely about color.

This is what I keep getting, regardless of what packages I select. After selecting packages, I keep getting this. No piano black there.

Looking for a new car.-zt5gxdj.png
Old 01-11-18, 05:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I tried it.

But after I select packages, it restricts me. It says only one of certain trims are available with those packages.

I tried both the Ultra Luxury, and other non Ultra Luxury combinations. I couldn't find anything that would make Obsidian with black seats and piano black trim work.

Hopefully this will be cleared up via a phone call to Lexus.

And I hope somehow they can tell me that it is possible, and without the Ultra Luxury package. If they do, I'd ask them to contact the sales manager directly and help him place the order.

If it's not possible to order this combination, it's disappointing that they'd restrict it so much. What's the point of placing a custom order if I can't get the color combination I want? I could understand if I was talking about options needing certain other packages, but this is purely about color.

This is what I keep getting, regardless of what packages I select. After selecting packages, I keep getting this. No piano black there.

The piano black is only available with the base ES, which comes with NuLuxe seats.

The Luxury Package (with leather seats) only comes with various wood trim options, and the Ultra Luxury Package (with semi-aniline leather seats) also only comes with various wood trim options.

For the model years from 2013 to 2017, the Premium Package (with NuLuxe seats) had wood trim on the dash and doors, but it had the piano black trim on the center console. For the 2018 model year, the Premium Package has been replaced by the Premiere Package (with NuLuxe seats), which has wood trim on the dash and doors. I'm not sure what the trim on the center console is because Lexus does not have a picture of the Premiere Package interior on its website, but my guess would be that the center console is piano black.

The bottom line is that, if you want (all) piano black trim, the only way to get it is to get a base package ES because, with the Premium Package, Luxury Package, and Ultra Luxury Package, there is no other choice besides wood trim on the dash and doors. Note, though, that, with a base ES, you are limited as to what other options you can add to the car.

Last edited by lesz; 01-11-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 05:25 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanted...2014 LS 460 AWD

Hi All, I am in the market for an LS 460 w AWD 2014.looking for Comfort package along with Nav and the more standard upgrade options. If anyone has leads, please let me know. Would prefer something 1 Owner, under 50K miles. I am not in a particular rush. If you are thinking about trading your car in or selling, please reach out via PM.

Hopefully it is OK to post this here.

TIA.
Old 01-11-18, 05:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by clarence88
Hi All, I am in the market for an LS 460 w AWD 2014.looking for Comfort package along with Nav and the more standard upgrade options. If anyone has leads, please let me know. Would prefer something 1 Owner, under 50K miles. I am not in a particular rush. If you are thinking about trading your car in or selling, please reach out via PM.

Hopefully it is OK to post this here.

TIA.
This is the 6th gen ES forum. You should start a thread in the proper LS forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...2007-2017-178/

Welcome and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
clarence88 (01-11-18)
Old 01-11-18, 05:44 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that info. Will post there.
Old 01-11-18, 11:20 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
The piano black is only available with the base ES, which comes with NuLuxe seats.

The Luxury Package (with leather seats) only comes with various wood trim options, and the Ultra Luxury Package (with semi-aniline leather seats) also only comes with various wood trim options.

For the model years from 2013 to 2017, the Premium Package (with NuLuxe seats) had wood trim on the dash and doors, but it had the piano black trim on the center console. For the 2018 model year, the Premium Package has been replaced by the Premiere Package (with NuLuxe seats), which has wood trim on the dash and doors. I'm not sure what the trim on the center console is because Lexus does not have a picture of the Premiere Package interior on its website, but my guess would be that the center console is piano black.

The bottom line is that, if you want (all) piano black trim, the only way to get it is to get a base package ES because, with the Premium Package, Luxury Package, and Ultra Luxury Package, there is no other choice besides wood trim on the dash and doors. Note, though, that, with a base ES, you are limited as to what other options you can add to the car.
Thanks for that info.

So I guess this picture here is of the base package?

When you say "center console", you mean the area around the navigation screen, right?

I called Lexus today. They checked regarding the black seats and piano black trim. After placing me on hold, the representative said that their market research restricts certain combinations.

She said the exterior also determines what interiors are available.

I said it was disappointing to custom order a from the factory, but not be able to order the combination I want.

She said she would "document" my concern.

I wish I had said that other manufacturers offered this combination.
Old 01-11-18, 11:34 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

After playing with the "Build Your Own Lexus" again, it pretty much confirms what @lesz was saying.

Piano black trim is only available on base models.

However, I did see that if I chose "satin cashmere metallic", then I could get piano black trim. But not black seats with it. I just don't like the look of Flaxen or Parchment with piano black trim. I don't like mixing lighter colors, especially a brown like Flaxen, with piano black.

If you can get this trim (or close to it) from other manufacturers, and if you can get it in a base model ES 350, it should be possible once options are added.

I'm not even sure if the sales manager was correct anymore when he said black seats with piano black trim was available with the Ultra Luxury package. But I guess it doesn't matter, since I'm not considering that package. Maybe a different time I would.
Old 01-11-18, 11:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Thanks for that info.
When you say "center console", you mean the area around the navigation screen, right?
No, the center console is the area between the seats where the cup holders, shift lever, etc. are.

After playing with the "Build Your Own Lexus" again, it pretty much confirms what @lesz was saying.

I'm not even sure if the sales manager was correct anymore when he said black seats with piano black trim was available with the Ultra Luxury package. .
What he said is not correct. Piano Black trim is not available with the Luxury or Ultra Luxury Packages. It is only available with the base package.
Old 01-11-18, 04:06 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I never look beyond the base package and so I would have never known that package selections restrict color selections. Good to know. Learn something everyday.
Old 01-11-18, 11:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
No, the center console is the area between the seats where the cup holders, shift lever, etc. are.

What he said is not correct. Piano Black trim is not available with the Luxury or Ultra Luxury Packages. It is only available with the base package.
Thanks.

Then in this picture, the trim looks like it applies to the center console too.

Old 01-12-18, 12:04 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

I have never had any modifications to any of my cars. Except for a radio/CD player I had installed to a sedan in the mid 90s.

But after seeing these pictures, I wonder if I could take it to a shop and have them make the trim piano black.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6391626

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ano-black.html

I sort of had my heart set on this new car being "the same but different", and the trim would have been the "different" part.
Old 01-12-18, 04:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

I have never had any modifications to any of my cars. Except for a radio/CD player I had installed to a sedan in the mid 90s.

But after seeing these pictures, I wonder if I could take it to a shop and have them make the trim piano black.
I would gladly trade you my pano black trim for your wood piece! The wood wasn't available until the redesign. I actually can't believe anyone would prefer the black plastic.
Old 01-12-18, 06:34 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
I actually can't believe anyone would prefer the black plastic.
I agree. The wood trim is considered to be an "upgrade" over the piano black, and it certainly costs Lexus (marginally) more to build an ES with the wood trim trim than it does to build one with the piano black.

The wood wasn't available until the redesign
For the 2013-2015 ES with the Luxury or Ultra Luxury Packages, the center console had piano black trim, but the trim on the doors and dash was wood. The OP wants the piano black on the doors and dash and on the center console, not just on the console, and that is the configuration that comes with the base ES.
Old 01-12-18, 05:37 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

piano black gets very very dirty and gets scratched easily which is also very visible. sticking with wood is the better idea honestly.

and great call on ES over Q50. i was between the two also, but just could not tolerate that cheap interior with tiny cabin, and trunk.

but if your order is going to take 4 months...........i think they'd reveal 2019 redesigned ES by then...not so sure if you want to stick with 18
Old 01-14-18, 05:25 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I would gladly trade you my pano black trim for your wood piece! The wood wasn't available until the redesign. I actually can't believe anyone would prefer the black plastic.
The sales manager told me all of their trims are made from the same wood. So I confirmed that even the piano black was made from wood.

Maybe it wasn't like that before?

If it had been made with plastic, I wouldn't have considered it.

So I asked again, that based on what he said, that all of the trims were made with the same wood, and the only difference was the trim color? He confirmed again.

Last edited by nuraman00; 01-14-18 at 05:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.