ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Problems with Electronics 2013 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 07:51 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Electronics 2013 ES 350

I have a 2013 ES 350 I bought as a one year old CPO in 2014 with 14k miles. It now has 33k miles. It has been flawless except that it has increasing problems with electronics.

About a year ago the miles left on the gas disappeared. I don't miss that.
Several months ago it quit screaming when I walk away from it with the fob and the is engine running. I try to be very careful and live with that.
Today the driving mode changed to Economy. I have not changed that **** in the 3.5 years I have owned the car. Normal is fine with me. Pushing on the **** now does not return it to Normal. This does annoy me.

Has anyone else had the electronics deteriorate and what to do about it?

Thanks very much.
Old 12-16-17, 05:32 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Did you really buy a CPO that only had 14k miles and was ~1 year old? That would not be a normal thing, since it still had most of the original factory warranty remaining. Either way, what has the dealer told you about your issues when you brought them up, or have you not been doing that?

-You say your fuel range is not displaying. Did you maybe change what displays without knowing it? Have you scrolled through all the screens to verify?
-How old is your FOB battery? Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if s low FOB battery could cause that to happen.
-My ES has always started in ECO mode. I always switch to Sport mode immediately after starting the engine. When you press the mode ****, the dash light doesn't change from blue to off? Have you tried Sport mode to see if it changes to red?
Old 12-16-17, 06:00 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

To answer your question regarding deterioration of electronic functions, no, nothing has changed...everything works...
Old 12-16-17, 09:04 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had that problem with my 2013 ES and Lexus advised removing the entire dash assembly etc. I didn't want to do that with just one year left on my lease and declined. But the dealer tech did replace the battery and the problem was solved - never to return. The battery tested OK but I assume an intermittent short of some sort. Give it a try.

Dave Mac
Old 12-16-17, 09:08 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I have not seen anything like this with a car. My guess is there is some sort of central controller (microprocessor) that is failing. I don’t know how power is regulated to the control electronics in our cars but I have seen similar bizarre behavior with AV systems when the power supply to the controller was causing sporatic issues with the devices it controls. I would speculate it is some sort of controller or an issue with the power delivery to that controller. I would let the dealer ferret this one out since it is going to take knowledge of the electronics that are going to be beyond what most of us on this forum will possess. Good luck and please let us know what you find.
Old 12-16-17, 09:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
-How old is your FOB battery? Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if s low FOB battery could cause that to happen.
I can confirm that my guess above is incorrect. My FOB battery was going on 5 years old. I took my ES out today and when I shut it off I saw the dash message of my FOB battery was low. When I returned home I got out and walked into my garage with the car running. I was still getting the warning beeps. If I were you, I would take it in and put that CPO warranty to use.
Old 12-16-17, 07:19 PM
JRandy
Rookie

To answer the comment about a the age and mileage when purchased as CPO. The dealership uses ES 350s for loaners and usually turns them over with less than 15k miles on them. This one was 13 months old, being new in Feb 2013 and had a little over 14k miles. I had seen it in a local parking lot with the loaner banner in the back window and thought when they get rid of that one I'd like to have it. About three weeks later they put it on the market. They also had a very similar one with about 1k miles less but it had Bridgestones on it and was not as nice as this one. They have two CPOs there now, one 2014 lease return with 11K on it and another 2016 with as I remember about 17k on it. Hey this is FL. A lot of retirees don't drive much and like to and can afford to drive late model cars. I don't drive much myself and like to drive late model cars. However I am the original owner of an '89 Corolla All-trac wagon with 50,000 miles on it for a knock-about local car.

This one is now over the three year CPO warranty and also the 4 year original whole car warranty. So I didn't think I had any warranty left for this problem. I had a new battery installed a few months ago and that may be the reason for the engine warning, walk away problem, but I had the Service Writer reset the walk away signal when I had it in for service recently. It still doesn't seem as loud as it was. The problem with the driving mode just started yesterday.

About Mike's points, I'm not sure if it will go into sport mode and stay there or not. It seemed like whatever I did it ended up back in Economy and the only blue that shows is when the car is moving where its kind of a nag to show how much gas you're giving it.
Old 12-17-17, 07:15 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Are you sure are in the "Economy" Drive mode? It sounds like you accidentally hit the "DISP" button on the steering wheel and changed the driver information display on the gauge cluster, which is now showing the ECO driving bar. This sounds highly likely as you mentioned that initially the miles till empty "disappeared" from the gauge cluster, perhaps you aren't aware of the "DISP" button on the right side of the steering wheel.
Old 12-17-17, 07:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Are you sure are in the "Economy" Drive mode? It sounds like you accidentally hit the "DISP" button on the steering wheel and changed the driver information display on the gauge cluster, which is now showing the ECO driving bar. This sounds highly likely as you mentioned that initially the miles till empty "disappeared" from the gauge cluster, perhaps you aren't aware of the "DISP" button on the right side of the steering wheel.
You could be correct. There was a similar thread here a few weeks ago in which the OP asked about similar issues. I thought that there was a good chance that there was nothing wrong but that, instead, he/she might have unknowingly changed the display settings and/or the information displayed.

On the other hand, if there is truly an issue, my suggestion would be to try to re-boot the car's computers. I haven't tried it myself, but I've read here that the computer that controls the audio, climate control, and display settings can be re-booted by pressing the volume down button and holding it down for 15-20 seconds. If that doesn't solve the problem, you should be able to re-boot all of the car's computers by disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for about 30 minutes. That should return all system settings to their defaults, which would require you to re-do any customization that you have done, but, if it solves a problem, it might be worth trying.
Old 12-17-17, 07:00 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Hypervish is correct. I checked that and the Mode display is the first one above regular setting. I took it out for a ride and it is back to normal now. I appreciate your telling me that and I thank you very much. So I had bumped that button. I also appreciate the others who offered suggestions. What a great group of forum users this is. I had a similar experience some time ago when I had checked the climate filter and hit the trunk access disable button. Somebody on the forum straightened me out on that.

I'll check later to see if there are settings there that might affect the motor running signal or the miles-to-go fuel indicator. On the motor running signal it beeps three times and not real loud when I leave the car and close the door. I thought it used to give a continuous pretty loud screem. I don't really care about the miles-to-go fuel indicator though.

Thanks again.