ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 09:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

If it was my Parents, AWD would be a definite. Even in other weather than snow like rain it would be safer.
Old 12-07-17, 06:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

One thing you might consider. Go shop a Car Max location. They all keep a big inventory of all makes and models and you can shop a variety of cars all under one roof. Prices are no haggle so you might pay a bit more, but they are no pressure and offer a 5 day return policy if not satisfied. Since the car is for them, might consider having your parents go with you so they can see and sit in a variety of cars to see what they like. It might be a mistake to get something that you like but they aren't crazy about. Not sure where you are in Indiana but there are Car Max stores in Indy, Merrillville and south Chicago suburbs.
Old 12-09-17, 07:36 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are some additional comments...

The ES may ride a bit higher than the GS but it would not be a great difference. It is not like you are comparing a crossover utility vehicle (like RAV4 or NX) with a car (like the ES or GS). If there is a height difference it would be the front seats. Because the GS (like the IS) is sportier than the ES, the seats (especially the hip point at the rear of the seat) may be lower to the floor than the ES.

The GS is aimed at more experienced, enthusiast drivers. If your parents are not enthusiast drivers, the ES (which is very similar to their old Camry) is probably the better choice.

Regarding AWD, FWD and RWD, it is said that FWD is more forgiving for normal, less-experienced and non-enthusiast drivers than RWD, especially in wet (rainy or snowy) conditions. AWD will give some greater confidence in driving the car in wet conditions but beware that it may give the less-experienced driver false confidence.

There is a saying that "AWD will get you further into the ditch". Because AWD feels steadier and surer in wet, slippery conditions, it gives you false confidence that you can handle anything that the road throws at you, and you start to drive faster than you normally would.

What the less-experienced driver does not realize is that all cars -- regardless of AWD, FWD or RWD -- are equal when it comes to braking, and if you are driving faster, it will take you longer to stop. The only thing that will help you when it comes to braking is how good your tires are and if your tires do not have much traction, it will take you (much) longer to stop.

As I have said before, in cold weather, the rubber on winter tires remains softer, giving you more traction than harder all season tires.

If your parents are comfortable in the ES (which they probably will be, coming from a Camry), get them an ES, and put on dedicated winter tires in November and switch back to all season tires in April.
Old 12-09-17, 07:46 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with Sulu. I've driven the ES on snow with all-season tires and it was doable, although I was sweating buckets the whole time. It's really the tires that count: if your area sees a lot of snow and ice in winter, putting on winter tires is the smart thing to do. An RWD or AWD vehicle on summer tires in the winter is a disaster waiting to happen, whereas a FWD vehicle with winter tires will be a safer drive.

Also, if you encounter lots of deep snow on unplowed roads in winter, you'll probably have to get an AWD/4WD SUV or crossover for the higher ride height.