ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Repairing aluminum alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-17, 02:29 AM
Spideync
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing aluminum alloy wheels

yesterday my wife scratched the rims trying to pull out of. Parking spot since someone else parked close to her passenger side so to get out she ended up scratching the alloy wheels. Is there a easy way to polish the. Or something or am Imgonna jphave to buy brand new? If brand new I would hate to see dealer prices anywhere online to get them?
Old 12-02-17, 04:52 AM
daljaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Repairing aluminum rims

Depending on how deep the scrape is, you might be able to take some coarse sandpaper and remove the scratches then polish the spot with rubbing compound. I have repaired a rim or two in the past this way. It might not be perfect but is better than spending big bucks for a new rim. Also, in many areas there are people who repair rims for a reasonable price. If
you need to buy a new rim, check on Ebay. Usually the prices there are more reasonable than a dealer.
Old 12-02-17, 05:59 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

There are independent people that will come to your place of residence and repair the wheels in your driveway. I had a very similar incident at a Home Depot lot when my car was new. Scraped about 3" off the front wheel against a curb. I considered buying a new wheel until I found that dealers have people come in and fix wheels, but at a very high price.
I searched the internet and found a local guy who came out to my home, repaired two wheels and charged me $40.00 per wheel. They look like they were never damaged.
He sanded, primered, and painted the exact color of the wheel. Other than this method, ask one of the mechanics at your dealer who does it for them.
Old 12-02-17, 07:08 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Lexus dealer here in metro Chicago has a formal relationship with a company that repairs such damage to wheels and the Lexus dealer handles the entire process for the car owner...I strongly suspect that the majority of Lexus dealers have some similar resource in their areas as well.
Old 12-02-17, 08:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I considered buying a new wheel until I found that dealers have people come in and fix wheels, but at a very high price.
I searched the internet and found a local guy who came out to my home, repaired two wheels and charged me $40.00 per wheel.
+1
There are people in most metropolitan areas who do wheel repairs. Most dealers also have relationships with those people. Typically, the guys who do the work for the dealerships travel from one dealership to another and work at each dealership one or two days per month.

But I would strongly suggest that, instead of going through the dealership, you do a search and find the people in your area and contact them directly to do the repair. If you do that, the cost will be only a fraction of what it would be if you went through the dealer and if the dealer takes its cut.

Over the years, I've built up relationships with the guys in my area who do things like paintless dent removal, interior repairs, and wheel repairs. When I need work done, I contact them directly and make arrangements either to meet them at one of the dealerships where they will be working or at their shop. Doing it that way saves me a good part of what otherwise would be the cost. For example, my paintless dent removal guy will charge me as little as $20 to remove a dent. If I went through the dealer, I'd expect the cost to be 3-4 times as much.