ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Time to replace car battery, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-17, 10:09 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Interstate Battery from Local Dealer vs. Costco

My ES350 battery failed at 3 1/4 years and I replaced it (myself) with an Interstate battery #MTP-24F from my local mechanic/tire store (Costco is a bigger trip for me). The price was $120. The suggested retail for this battery at the Interstate site is $147-$168.

But, as a big Costco fan, I decided to later price their cost for their Interstate battery. It was $84, but it is for a 24F battery (mine is a MTP-24F) and there are differences according to the specs for each battery.

In particular, for the MTP-24F/24F:

Cold Cranking Amps: 800/700
Cranking Amps: 1000/875
Reserve Capacity (RC) at 25 hr: 125/130
Weight: 44.4/42.1
Dimensions are the same.

The web picture for the MTP-24 shows a convenient strap for lifting (it was on my battery). The picture of the battery from Costco does not show a strap, but it just might be there when purchased.

So, it appears, that the Costco battery just might not be up to the specs of the "retail" battery.
Old 12-22-17, 07:13 PM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no matter what you buy, life of battery is 3 year +/- 3 months.. I used o'reilly battery ,which has 3year free replacement.
Old 12-22-17, 07:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by camlex
no matter what you buy, life of battery is 3 year +/- 3 months.. I used o'reilly battery ,which has 3year free replacement.
Not really. Mine is in it's 5th. year and going strong. Original Lexus battery... The Avalon I traded for the Lexus had it's original battery too. 6 + years...
Old 12-23-17, 07:31 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by camlex
That's really not true everywhere and highly dependent upon where you live and temperatures.

Car's last less time in hot weather climates and it is heat that does a battery in.

I have had batteries last 10 years in some of my cars cars over my driving lifetime. The average for a larger car with larger battery is longer than say a small battery typically found on a Corolla.
Old 12-23-17, 08:07 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Not really. Mine is in it's 5th. year and going strong. Original Lexus battery... The Avalon I traded for the Lexus had it's original battery too. 6 + years...
+1 no issues, purchased new January 2013. My GS300 AWD battery lasted a bit over 9 years.
Old 12-27-17, 04:15 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
My ES350 battery failed at 3 1/4 years and I replaced it (myself) with an Interstate battery #MTP-24F from my local mechanic/tire store (Costco is a bigger trip for me). The price was $120. The suggested retail for this battery at the Interstate site is $147-$168.

But, as a big Costco fan, I decided to later price their cost for their Interstate battery. It was $84, but it is for a 24F battery (mine is a MTP-24F) and there are differences according to the specs for each battery.

In particular, for the MTP-24F/24F:

Cold Cranking Amps: 800/700
Cranking Amps: 1000/875
Reserve Capacity (RC) at 25 hr: 125/130
Weight: 44.4/42.1
Dimensions are the same.

The web picture for the MTP-24 shows a convenient strap for lifting (it was on my battery). The picture of the battery from Costco does not show a strap, but it just might be there when purchased.

So, it appears, that the Costco battery just might not be up to the specs of the "retail" battery.

Just curious, you said your oem battery died @ 3 1/4 years.. was it a panasonic battery or other brand. I'm pretty sure cars built in Japan come with the Panasonic battery... mine did and so far no issues... Car was manufactured in June of 2013 I believe which would put the battery at about 4 /12 years right now.. I'm going to replace the battery in the next couple of weeks just to be safe..

you mentioned the interstate battery.. 24F is just the bci size. The MTP designation on the 24F you are looking at has nothing to do with the physical size of the battery. MTP stands for MegaTron Plus, one of the lines of battery's sold under the interstate brand. I currently have the MTP-24F in my Toyota 4 Runner... It's been in there about 3 years and no issues what so ever. I'm going to replace the battery in my Lexus in the next week or two.. I'm probably going to go with the same battery, Interstate MTP-24F. This battery provides way more CCA's and Ca's than the oem. I've toyed with the idea of going with an AGM but honestly I can't justify the expense.. but that's just my opinion.

Roland
Old 12-27-17, 05:02 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Just curious, you said your oem battery died @ 3 1/4 years.. was it a panasonic battery or other brand. I'm pretty sure cars built in Japan come with the Panasonic battery... mine did and so far no issues... Car was manufactured in June of 2013 I believe which would put the battery at about 4 /12 years right now.. I'm going to replace the battery in the next couple of weeks just to be safe..

you mentioned the interstate battery.. 24F is just the bci size. The MTP designation on the 24F you are looking at has nothing to do with the physical size of the battery. MTP stands for MegaTron Plus, one of the lines of battery's sold under the interstate brand. I currently have the MTP-24F in my Toyota 4 Runner... It's been in there about 3 years and no issues what so ever. I'm going to replace the battery in my Lexus in the next week or two.. I'm probably going to go with the same battery, Interstate MTP-24F. This battery provides way more CCA's and Ca's than the oem. I've toyed with the idea of going with an AGM but honestly I can't justify the expense.. but that's just my opinion.

Roland
My ES350 is a Japanese built 2014. I think it had a Panasonic battery, but I was surprised that it went bad after 3 1/4 years considering all of the other Lexuses I have owned since 1999 (ESs + RXs) were Japanese built and whose batteries lasted 6-7 years (all of the cars were garaged). Up until this point I never had to replace a battery because of battery failure. I had the Lexus dealer check if I had a faulty Gateway computer (my VIN was in the impacted VIN number range) but it checked out OK. I do have a slight concern that with the new lighter weight oils, Lexus has cut back on battery size thus saving weight, increasing mileage figures, but also a smaller size generally means less power. Both batteries that I mentioned above are Interstates and of course I knew they were both the same size. My point was that the Interstate MTP-24F available from automotive shops has a bit more power than the Interstate 24F available at a lesser price from Costco. Both batteries are the same size but the MTP version weighs a bit more, perhaps with beefier/larger internal lead plates accounting for the higher output.
Old 08-27-18, 11:56 PM
stacyjohnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for buying new car battery

If you want to replace your battery i think you should look at the car battery review first. After that you will able to compare that which one is a good fit for you. I have bought Optima OPT8020-164 because it is perfect for cool climate areas. You can find yours according to your need.
Old 08-28-18, 02:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
My ES350 is a Japanese built 2014. I think it had a Panasonic battery, but I was surprised that it went bad after 3 1/4 years considering all of the other Lexuses I have owned since 1999 (ESs + RXs) were Japanese built and whose batteries lasted 6-7 years (all of the cars were garaged). Up until this point I never had to replace a battery because of battery failure. I had the Lexus dealer check if I had a faulty Gateway computer (my VIN was in the impacted VIN number range) but it checked out OK. I do have a slight concern that with the new lighter weight oils, Lexus has cut back on battery size thus saving weight, increasing mileage figures, but also a smaller size generally means less power. Both batteries that I mentioned above are Interstates and of course I knew they were both the same size. My point was that the Interstate MTP-24F available from automotive shops has a bit more power than the Interstate 24F available at a lesser price from Costco. Both batteries are the same size but the MTP version weighs a bit more, perhaps with beefier/larger internal lead plates accounting for the higher output.
Sderman... you make a good point.. as I said in my original reply to the op's post, my es also came with a panasonic battery in it.. Not positive but I think that battery was rated at 580 cold cranking amps. I posted my earlier reply in Dec. of last year so when January rolled around ( 4 years since I bought the car ) I had the panasonic battery tested... and it was only showing something like 380 amps.. car was still starting fine and there were no visible issues but the battery was failing none the less... I just went to an interstate dealer and had them put the MTP-24 F in my Lexus.. it's only been 7 or 8 months since but so far no issues.. I also have the same battery in my 4 Runner... been in there going on 4 years in october and it hasn't given me any trouble either. MTP 24F is rated at 1000 cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps... both specs well exceed that of the oem battery.

Roland
Old 08-29-18, 12:15 PM
aagg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought new 2018 ES350 a month ago and just checked my car which is made in US does have a Panasonic battery. Not really sure if Lexus is installing Panasonic in all ES models built in US or using any other brands too.
Old 02-26-20, 05:53 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
That's really not true everywhere and highly dependent upon where you live and temperatures.

Car's last less time in hot weather climates and it is heat that does a battery in.

I have had batteries last 10 years in some of my cars cars over my driving lifetime. The average for a larger car with larger battery is longer than say a small battery typically found on a Corolla.
I Agree 100%, totally makes sense!