ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Roadside Assistance is just AAA

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 10:31 AM
Bravecat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lexus Roadside Assistance is just AAA

I called Lexus Roadside Assistance (LRA) today. LRA told me they'd have someone out in 90 minutes. An hour later, AAA called me. It seems LRA called them to come help me. AAA told me they'd be at my car in an hour.

I had AAA before I had a Lexus. I was glad to get away from slow mediocre service of AAA and get better service from LRA. Turns out, Lexus is just repackaging and reselling AAA under the brand-name of Lexus Roadside Assistance. Looks like a bait and switch to me - and certainly poor value.

Now, I need new tires. Lexus has a stated low price guarantee. It seems that Lexus hasn't researched to make sure they have the lowest price. A quick call to Costco shows the same tires at a lower price. This guarantee is just a marketing tool and again, poor value.
Old 11-11-17, 10:59 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

I've already informed Lexus service that the tires were cheaper at Costco. They called, verified, and matched the price...
As far as the roadside service, I thought it was free while under the 4 year warranty. Free = 0 = no cost to the vehicle owner...
Old 11-11-17, 11:22 AM
Bravecat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus Roadside Assistance is included with the price of a car -- not free. When you call them, they answer the phone "Lexus Roadside Assistance". Then, they call AAA for you. So, it takes doubly long to get service that is not Lexus-special.
Old 11-11-17, 11:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravecat
Turns out, Lexus is just repackaging and reselling AAA under the brand-name of Lexus Roadside Assistance. Looks like a bait and switch to me - and certainly poor value.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I would not expect that Lexus or any other car manufacturer would set up its own network of roadside assistance providers throughout the entire country. Instead, it would seem to be more practical for them to use a large existing network of roadside assistance providers, such as that of AAA.
Old 11-11-17, 01:36 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I called Lexus Roadside Assistance (LRA) today. LRA told me they'd have someone out in 90 minutes. An hour later, AAA called me. It seems LRA called them to come help me. AAA told me they'd be at my car in an hour.

I had AAA before I had a Lexus. I was glad to get away from slow mediocre service of AAA and get better service from LRA. Turns out, Lexus is just repackaging and reselling AAA under the brand-name of Lexus Roadside Assistance. Looks like a bait and switch to me - and certainly poor value.

Now, I need new tires. Lexus has a stated low price guarantee. It seems that Lexus hasn't researched to make sure they have the lowest price. A quick call to Costco shows the same tires at a lower price. This guarantee is just a marketing tool and again, poor value.
You sound really unhappy - maybe consider another brand next time - although I think they all operate the same way for roadside assistance - and I don’t think I’d ever consider buying tires from a dealer unless they were offering some great deals - in my experience, too many other better ways to go for that type of purchase.
Old 11-13-17, 08:24 PM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco tires... A coworker just got new ones for his wife's RX. The tire warning lights came on right after. Costco charged for and replaced with smaller tires than what the RX needed. It was the manager that pulled up the info and made the sale. Make sure you are diligent.
Old 11-13-17, 08:35 PM
sonatine
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get a flat tire on the highway? Btw not trying to be an *** but they state that they use AAA for roadside assistance in the manuals.
Old 11-13-17, 09:13 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PAcommuter
Costco tires... A coworker just got new ones for his wife's RX. The tire warning lights came on right after. Costco charged for and replaced with smaller tires than what the RX needed. It was the manager that pulled up the info and made the sale. Make sure you are diligent.
Geez - first cardinal rule for buying tires - educate yourself as to the correct size your vehicle requires.
Old 11-14-17, 05:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Geez - first cardinal rule for buying tires - educate yourself as to the correct size your vehicle requires.
^^True

Discount Tire originally ordered my P7+'s in the 17" standard size. This was after the manager went out to verify, plus me telling him what size I needed. At least there would have been no way they could have installed them.
Old 11-14-17, 08:43 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
^^True

Discount Tire originally ordered my P7+'s in the 17" standard size. This was after the manager went out to verify, plus me telling him what size I needed. At least there would have been no way they could have installed them.
Wow - It sounds like the theory of the customer having knowledge of the correct size doesn’t always work.
Old 11-19-17, 06:27 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
That doesn't surprise me at all. I would not expect that Lexus or any other car manufacturer would set up its own network of roadside assistance providers throughout the entire country. Instead, it would seem to be more practical for them to use a large existing network of roadside assistance providers, such as that of AAA.
Yes, that's exactly how it works, and not just for Lexus. Not sure why all the angst from the OP
Old 11-19-17, 06:29 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

As are most low price guarantees. It commonly means find a lower price and they will match it or beat it. It certainly does not mean they run around researching prices. That's your job.
Old 11-19-17, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Yeah their prices on tires are terrible. Not really surprising though.

And yes, Lexus Roadside is largely just AAA. I remember when the warranty ran out on my ES300 they tried to sell me an extension of LRA and I laughed, I would just join AAA and also get the other member benefits.

There are some dedicated roadside vehicles. For instance Lexus of Rockville has marked RXs that drive around and give jumps and change tires, I know other dealers do that too:

but by and large depending on where you are you will get AAA. If you think about it that makes a lot of sense.