ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nav question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 01:40 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Nav question

Hello everyone.. quick question for you.. my wife and I took a drive from Louisiana to Branson Mo. last week and just got home. While on the trip I was looking at the nav settings and I saw a tab that said " software update". I didn't mess with it because I was afraid I might screw up my nav system while I was out on the road. Is anyone familiar with that "software update" and exactly what it will do... I'm assuming it won't update the maps will it? hopeing it will but I kind of dought it.

Poppa
Old 11-10-17, 05:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

That is the menu item that you would use to install a navigation software update after you bought a new map update SD card. If you don't have a map update SD, clicking on "software update" will do nothing to change the navigation system.
Old 11-10-17, 07:21 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Usually it’s an update for Enform apps. The message usually pops up when there’s an update available and your phone is connected to the car through Bluetooth. It will not interfere wit navigation.
Old 11-10-17, 08:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Usually it’s an update for Enform apps. The message usually pops up when there’s an update available and your phone is connected to the car through Bluetooth. It will not interfere wit navigation.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think that the OP is talking about the pop up message associated with updating Enform.. I think, instead, that he is talking about the option in the navigation settings that is used to start the process of updating the navigation system map data (with a newer SD card).
Old 11-10-17, 09:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I could be mistaken, but I don't think that the OP is talking about the pop up message associated with updating Enform.. I think, instead, that he is talking about the option in the navigation settings that is used to start the process of updating the navigation system map data (with a newer SD card).
He has a 2013, so no SD card.
Old 11-10-17, 11:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
He has a 2013, so no SD card.
I had forgotten that the 2013 ES uses a hard drive for the map data.

If I remember correctly, map updates for the 2013 ES are delivered to the hard drive via a flash drive. Thus, I believe that the menu item to which the OP is referring is used to initiate an update from the flash drive (and not from an SD card, as I mistakenly stated in the earlier post). And, if no flash drive is detected, nothing will happen if you click on the "update" choice in the menu.
Old 11-10-17, 01:17 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Everybody has a pretty good handle on this, The maps cost $'s and only the dealers
have the license and Techtools to do a Map Update.
If we go to www.lexusdrivers.com and tap on multimedia update and enter our year/model
you may see that there is a current update you can do yourself. This just needs a USB
flashdrive and a couple of minutes.
Old 11-10-17, 11:45 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomer
Everybody has a pretty good handle on this, The maps cost $'s and only the dealers
have the license and Techtools to do a Map Update.
If we go to www.lexusdrivers.com and tap on multimedia update and enter our year/model
you may see that there is a current update you can do yourself. This just needs a USB
flashdrive and a couple of minutes.
First, thanks to all who replied to my question, I really appreciate your help... mcomer, please walk this old man thru this... I went to the web site that you provided the link for but I never did see a "multimedia update" tab.. Exactly how do I locate this and secondly, will this update my maps in the nav as well? Thanks again for your help with this.

Poppa
Old 11-11-17, 06:06 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
First, thanks to all who replied to my question, I really appreciate your help... mcomer, please walk this old man thru this... I went to the web site that you provided the link for but I never did see a "multimedia update" tab.. Exactly how do I locate this and secondly, will this update my maps in the nav as well? Thanks again for your help with this.

Poppa
Click on the link and open Lexus Drivers. No need to sign in - look for the "resources" title at the top and click it. You'll then see multimedia updates title. HOWEVER: This applies to 2014 vehicles and later. Those of us with 2013's are out of luck and can't use it. Additionally, even if you had a 2014 it wouldn't update your maps. You must purchase an update from your dealer and pay them to install it through Toyota Techstream. I believe that the cost is around $267.00 currently installed. I use a Garmin from 2010 with lifetime updates that cost $150.00.

Last edited by bc6152; 11-11-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 09:34 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

bc6152 continued the thread nicely, multimedia updates are currently available for some
2014 and newer (my own 2014 ES300h doesn't have any yet) and it is for Bluetooth,
voice recognition etc., not Nav.

The portable vs. factory Nav comparison goes both ways. The Garmin was stolen out of
my rental car but when we had it I could not fire it up fast enough to avoid a traffic jam when
just motoring around. With the OEM I just punch Map to see if the side streets go through or
are Cul-de-sacs. The voice was changeable (we liked the British women "Emily") but was
never loud enough. While you can obviously take it down to program it was normally
mounted too far away to touch the screen for previews and detour examinations but even
the pre-remote control touch screen OEM's were touchable while driving.
Old 11-12-17, 01:10 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc6152
Click on the link and open Lexus Drivers. No need to sign in - look for the "resources" title at the top and click it. You'll then see multimedia updates title. HOWEVER: This applies to 2014 vehicles and later. Those of us with 2013's are out of luck and can't use it. Additionally, even if you had a 2014 it wouldn't update your maps. You must purchase an update from your dealer and pay them to install it through Toyota Techstream. I believe that the cost is around $267.00 currently installed. I use a Garmin from 2010 with lifetime updates that cost $150.00.
Thank you bc...... yeah, I was pretty sure that I would have to take it to the dealer to update the maps... and like you, I also have a Garmin with lifetime updates. Normally I keep use the Garmin in our 4-Runner since it doesn't have a nav system. But honestly I think I'm going to stick it in the glove box of my es next time we're on the road... I like the nav system on the ES, but one of the things I hate is that while you are driving, it limits you while searching for gas stations or restaurants along your route.. to see a more complete list you have to pull over and put the car in park... at least with the garmin my wife could be searching for those places while I continue to drive... I hate that the Lexus Nav is limited on results while driving.

Poppa
Old 11-12-17, 06:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poppa
I like the nav system on the ES, but one of the things I hate is that while you are driving, it limits you while searching for gas stations or restaurants along your route.. to see a more complete list you have to pull over and put the car in park... at least with the garmin my wife could be searching for those places while I continue to drive... I hate that the Lexus Nav is limited on results while driving.

Poppa
If, instead of directly using the navigation system, you use the free Enform Destinations app, you will be able to use voice commands to search for things like gas stations, restaurants, and other destinations while the vehicle is in motion. The Enform Destinations app gives you the ability to do much more than does just using the in-car navigation system by itself.
Old 11-13-17, 04:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Actual App name is "Lexus Enform App Suite". Sign in once with name, e-mail, a password
(min 8, max 30 characters, at least one Capital and at least 1 number) and the VIN. Free
app and free forever. Find locations in the phone when NOT in the car and they will transfer.
Use the voice recognition and updatedness (real word?) when connected with Bluetooth.
Minor but fun is the Pandora etc being controlled on screen rather than (illegally) on the phone.

Note: LEAS 2.0 is for 2018 Lexi only and is not a bigger/better version of the original LEAS.