ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anyone replace Factory ML Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 09:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Default Anyone replace Factory ML Subs?

I know way back there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the $3000 plus ML system option, issues with the Subs. Flat out they Suck. They distort and bottom out and Brapp at even low volumes sometimes a lot. Seen threads were some took to dealer complained and, Dealer changed amp to updated one that put less power/bass to subs, and more to front doors. Some say eliminated problem, other said did not.

My used NON-CPO 2013 ES 350 UL likely will Not be going to Dealer for Non Warranty sub problem Amp change high price out of pocket service cost to be paid by me.

So has anyone swapped the Factory rear deck ML Sub for a aftermarket Free Air one that worked better?
Old 11-08-17, 06:29 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I know way back there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the $3000 plus ML system option, issues with the Subs. Flat out they Suck. They distort and bottom out and Brapp at even low volumes sometimes a lot. Seen threads were some took to dealer complained and, Dealer changed amp to updated one that put less power/bass to subs, and more to front doors. Some say eliminated problem, other said did not.

My used NON-CPO 2013 ES 350 UL likely will Not be going to Dealer for Non Warranty sub problem Amp change high price out of pocket service cost to be paid by me.

So has anyone swapped the Factory rear deck ML Sub for a aftermarket Free Air one that worked better?
My 2013 had the defective ML amp, the dealer replaced it under warranty and the sound is very good with no distortion. If you have the distortion the amp should be replaced, I do not believe just changing the speaker will correct it. I suggest you go to a Lexus dealer, since it was a known defective part, and see it they will replace it out of courtesy to you. It never hurts to ask.
Old 11-08-17, 10:05 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jollick
My 2013 had the defective ML amp, the dealer replaced it under warranty and the sound is very good with no distortion. If you have the distortion the amp should be replaced, I do not believe just changing the speaker will correct it. I suggest you go to a Lexus dealer, since it was a known defective part, and see it they will replace it out of courtesy to you. It never hurts to ask.
Which Dealer did you go to, if I may ask? Hennessey Gwinnett, Nalley which, or out near the Airport?
Old 11-08-17, 10:49 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Never mind, I just talked to 2 of them, and me buying the car used at other than a Lexus Dealer, no previous complains recorded, and out of warranty is a dead end with them.

Anyone know what the size of that speaker is? Is it a 8" and 8ohm single or dual voice coil? From what I've read about most that got the new amp, it just reduced the rear Sub Wattage output, and moved the Bass to front door speakers, but threw off the DSP and imaging of the system, thus robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I think the better fix is to get a Sub in there that can Handle the Watts the Amp throws to it, without distorting and bottoming out?

Someone has had to replaced that Sub with a Aftermarket one by now I would think?
Old 11-08-17, 05:26 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

It was Hennessy Gwinnett. If you replace the sub. Please post what the result is. I think if the sub was the issue, it would have been cheaper to replace that than the amp and Lexus would have done that.
Old 11-08-17, 07:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I talked to someone who says the Sub upgrade may be a better choice. Said they backed down the Sub wattage output and moved more to the front door subs with the new revised ML amp replacements. Said the ML sub was a 8" Single VC, 6ohm sub, and recommended I go with a 8ohm, or Dual Voice Coils wired to get to 8ohms for replacement.

I wonder if doing caps, reducing the Sub amp wattage/volume, and adjusting the frequency in the amps, was not easier fix for Lexus and ML, than having a whole new sub produced. I don't know?

I am searching for aftermarket Subs now. I want one that is good, like a musical sub that plays as low or lower that the Factory one. But also with a low efficiency rating. Or as best I can find. The Lexus IS Guys have done this a few different times and report that the Bass is much better, more solid and louder with no distortion or bottoming out. The down side was that it did not sound as good as the ML at low volume, and the stronger high volume bass created rattles they had to track down and stop in the car. The low volume with a aftermarket issue is why I am researching subs to replace it with.