ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Remote start install

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 11:59 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote start install

I installed a plug and play remote start system. It works great. Easy to do as well! I am making a video of the install. I'll post when completed. I got it from 12volt.solutions.com

The owner is a super nice guy, knows his stuff, and responds promptly. Worth the huge chunk of change it cost. Uses factory fobs unless you get the add on for remote start via phone/cellular.

Last edited by madsen203; 03-27-18 at 12:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by madsen203:
L720 (05-15-18), NdYAG (11-07-17)
Old 11-05-17, 01:26 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Awesome, looking forward to the video. Been debating getting remote start, and a plug/play solution sounds quite nice!
Old 11-06-17, 09:55 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

I just finished piecing the video together. Awaiting upload and then will attach to first post. It was super easy to install the remote start. Hit lock button three times and car starts right up then runs for up to 15 minutes. You can open trunk while it is running but cannot open doors similar to the OE remote start that Lexus offers.

I don't believe it triggers defrost or any other climate control settings so it runs based off of last user settings which isn't a big deal. I haven't entirely confirmed the defrost setting as it rarely gets down to temps here where the OE system would initiate (sub 37* or something?).

I have been longing for a remote start system. I have a referral card that can save you a couple dollars if you would like to use it when you order. I recommend the system thus far.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-17, 11:46 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Updated first post.
Old 11-07-17, 12:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by madsen203
I just finished piecing the video together. Awaiting upload and then will attach to first post. It was super easy to install the remote start. Hit lock button three times and car starts right up then runs for up to 15 minutes. You can open trunk while it is running but cannot open doors similar to the OE remote start that Lexus offers.

I don't believe it triggers defrost or any other climate control settings so it runs based off of last user settings which isn't a big deal. I haven't entirely confirmed the defrost setting as it rarely gets down to temps here where the OE system would initiate (sub 37* or something?).

I have been longing for a remote start system. I have a referral card that can save you a couple dollars if you would like to use it when you order. I recommend the system thus far.

Cheers!
How much did it cost?
Old 11-07-17, 12:46 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
How much did it cost?
Shipped to the door, $300. Steep but worth it if you just need the remote start function. If you PM me I can get you connected and maybe save you some coin on a referral basis as I got to know the owner fairly well during the purchase and install process.

It took maybe 30 minutes from start to finish but could easily be done in less than that. I had a hard time finding the SLP connector initially which held me up but once I found that it was a breeze. If you watch the video...you'll see it'll take less time than it did to watch the video to install and button everything up.

It is 3 T adapters. The programming of the module is stupid simple. Three taps of the lock button and it starts right up! Same to kill the motor. Run time is set for 15 minutes.

The only pit fall is it doesn't automatically turn on your defrosters. But it does run last user settings so I make sure the seat heater is on (which I usually leave on low all the time anyway) and the AUTO setting is on for the temp that I use most often.

https://www.12volt.solutions/pages/p...lexus~md_es350

Last edited by madsen203; 11-07-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 09:05 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Youtube video attached...

How do I embed?
Old 11-08-17, 09:54 AM
OntarioEst
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Remote start

I am not sure I like the idea that when I go (with my key fob) to enter the car the engine shuts off and I have to restart it to get going. My existing Honda (16 years old) has a remote starter which lets me enter the car, put the key in to ignition and press the brake and move on; the engine remains on.
Old 11-08-17, 10:13 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioEst
I am not sure I like the idea that when I go (with my key fob) to enter the car the engine shuts off and I have to restart it to get going. My existing Honda (16 years old) has a remote starter which lets me enter the car, put the key in to ignition and press the brake and move on; the engine remains on.
All Toyota products no matter which RS system is installed, factory or aftermarket, the engine shuts down when the door is opened.
Other manufacturers such as Honda, which includes Acura, the engine stays on as you stated. This has been a major complaint on this forum for years. Along with the yearly fees mandated for use of the factory remote start. Very poor IMO.
Old 11-08-17, 11:28 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
All Toyota products no matter which RS system is installed, factory or aftermarket, the engine shuts down when the door is opened.
Other manufacturers such as Honda, which includes Acura, the engine stays on as you stated. This has been a major complaint on this forum for years. Along with the yearly fees mandated for use of the factory remote start. Very poor IMO.
Exactly this.

It's the nature of the toyota system and there is no override for it without some major overhaul disabling the anti-theft system.
Old 11-08-17, 07:58 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

I have an Viper 5706v alarm/remote start installed in my 17 ES and the engine shuts down after a door is opened. Sucks but beats entering into a hot/cold car. sort of used to it now. My wife’s 08 RX have no such issue, engine stays on after door opens.
Old 11-09-17, 08:02 AM
OntarioEst
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote Install

So if the Viper remote works on RX, it may be a Lexus/Toyota later year mod.
By the way, what is the range of operation of the remotes (both the 12 volt solutions and the viper). Have heard that the OEM has a useless range. Out here in tundra it is not very useful if you have to be 10 ft away to remote start.
Old 11-09-17, 08:22 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

So if the Viper remote works on RX, it may be a Lexus/Toyota later year mod.
By the way, what is the range of operation of the remotes (both the 12 volt solutions and the viper). Have heard that the OEM has a useless range. Out here in tundra it is not very useful if you have to be 10 ft away to remote start.
My factory fob is good for about 40-50 feet max. Generally it is less but it works from the house out to the street.

The 12v solution uses the same base hardware of some of the Viper equipment. They both get their modules from Directed Electronics. The 12v solution is a plug and play where viper often uses a separate fob (which would potentially have much better range and two way capabilities) and is often sold as an alarm system which I don't need.

I wanted everything to stay as factory as possible and I did not want to splice or cut any wires for fear of failure down the road or if I decide to sell or need warranty work (unlikely with this car).
Old 11-09-17, 08:32 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

The Viper range is amazing. Easily 2 football field in clear view. The down side is now I have to carry 2 remotes.

The engine shuts down has to do with Toyota Push To Start. I have checked with both Viper and Compustar and both said the engine will shut down after the door opens.
Old 11-09-17, 08:48 AM
OntarioEst
Driver School Candidate

Thank you madsen203 and lexsc4. So the range with 12v solution is limited by the transmit rf power out of the Lexus fob.

Quick Reply: Remote start install