ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 05:49 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Sunroof rattle

So, since I purchased my '13 car CPO in September '15 I've noticed noises coming from over my right shoulder when hitting abrupt bumps in the road. I've always assumed they were coming from the rear seat or door area and have asked about that, here, before. I spent time making sure that stuff wasn't bouncing around in the trunk or the seat back/cushion wasn't loose or the passenger grab handle above the door wasn't rattling. But I was never able to fully diagnose things.

Well, the car is reaching the end of the warranty so I took it to the dealer and told them about it. I expected them to test drive it and look for possibly rear suspension noise or possibly something inside a panel or the rear door. But that wasn't what they reported. They told me that the sound was coming from the sunroof track and that the entire sunroof assembly would have to be replaced meaning the head liner would have to come out and then the entire sunroof unit removed. They originally told me the job would be ~$3K but when I asked them to check the warranty status they realized that it would be covered. I now understand that I've been hearing the noise not over my left shoulder, and believing it was down, but behind my left shoulder and above. So their diagnosis seem correct.
I haven't had the work done yet so I was curious about what others on the list might think?
Old 11-03-17, 05:50 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>noises coming from over my right shoulder
Sorry, I meant left shoulder...
Old 11-03-17, 06:21 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting story. I had my car for almost 5 years now (ESh 2013) and I never experienced any noises or rattles. I bought my car new. My sunroof is completely silent. But I rarely open my sunroof. In the summer it is too hot and winter is cold. But even when the weather is perfect outside I don't like the noise intrusion. I just like to open the inside cover to let light in.
Old 11-03-17, 10:31 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I had never ending rattle problems on my 2013 ES UL. Started about 2 years in. Fixed multiple times but always came back. Didn’t rattle while driving, but every time you shut the door if the car.
Old 11-03-17, 10:39 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I plan to buy a new 2019 Lexus in the fall of 2018. I want an Ultra Luxury model but from what I see on this forum the panoramic roof is an issue. The sunroof I have now on my luxury model has never had a problem with rattles, leaks, or anything else. Something for me to consider...
Old 11-03-17, 11:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I plan to buy a new 2019 Lexus in the fall of 2018. I want an Ultra Luxury model but from what I see on this forum the panoramic roof is an issue. The sunroof I have now on my luxury model has never had a problem with rattles, leaks, or anything else. Something for me to consider...
My pano is as solid and quiet as can be. I have never had any issues with it.
Old 11-03-17, 12:13 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
My pano is as solid and quiet as can be. I have never had any issues with it.
Glad to hear it Mike. That's a good sign...
Old 11-03-17, 12:20 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I also have had no issues with the pano roof on my 2015 ES350 UL or any other issues with the car.
Old 11-03-17, 12:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've also had no issue whatever with rattles, leaks, etc. with the panoramic roof on my 2017 US built UL ES.

What does concern me a bit it the reports of increased numbers of panoramic roofs exploding, but, from the reports that I've read, most/all of those incidents have been from panoramic roofs on cars other than those built by Toyota/Lexus.
Old 11-03-17, 01:49 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Hmmm. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Were they cracking early on?

Glad you all have had no problems as I think that the pano roof comes with the UL edition - no choice...Thanks for letting me know...

BC
Old 11-03-17, 02:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Hmmm. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Were they cracking early on?

BC
The reports that I've read about exploding pano roofs seem to indicate that they can happen at any time and without impact from a foreign object or other obvious cause.

Glad you all have had no problems as I think that the pano roof comes with the UL edition - no choice...Thanks for letting me know...

BC
Yes, the pano roof is one of the features included in the UL package, and it is not possible to get an UL ES without the pano roof, but I that doesn't necessarily mean that things won't change for the 2019 Generation 7 ES.

I'm not a fan of sunroofs, and I never use mine. Considering the fact that I keep the sunshades closed to reduce glare in the car, on the map screen, etc., I wouldn't even realize that the car has the pano roof or see or hear any difference while driving between it and the standard sun roof that I had on my 2013 ES.
Old 11-04-17, 11:29 AM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pano in the ES's arent a true pano and they really arent worth it IMO if it costs extra. on a white ES, the blacked out top could look nice and i get it if getting for that look, but as for interior, since top is still divided out with a mid section, the roof you see as a driver is no different from any other regular sunroof, not to mention rear sunroof just being a fixed glass.

now with updated 2019 mode, that might change but i dont think we know yet, or do we?
Old 11-07-17, 01:10 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newyerker
pano in the ES's arent a true pano and they really arent worth it IMO if it costs extra. on a white ES, the blacked out top could look nice and i get it if getting for that look, but as for interior, since top is still divided out with a mid section, the roof you see as a driver is no different from any other regular sunroof, not to mention rear sunroof just being a fixed glass.

now with updated 2019 mode, that might change but i dont think we know yet, or do we?
I agree with this.

I really like the black roof. I also love the glass roof being easier to clean and don't have to worry about polishing or bird crap.

The front cover/slide rattles with road vibrations. I have to have it half way open to prevent it from the slight tapping/rattle sound it makes. Frustrating but I've learned to live with it or ignore it. I also get a tapping sound between the leather arm rest on the door and the plastic door setting. If my elbow isn't there it'll make a tapping sound.

This car is beginning to rattle but still loads better than the Honda Accord I had... I still love it.

I tow with the car regularly on the weekend (only a dirt bike and all my gear) but it is stout. Averaging 70mph with the A/C on, I get about 23mpg. Drop to 60-65 and it gets 25-28mpg.

I listen to "Cadillac Cowboy" as I roll into the camp ground dragging hitch all over the lumpy dirt roads. Can't wait to upgrade to the F-250 in 2019 when I give this car to my wife. :-)
Old 11-10-17, 01:35 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Pab12.. glad you fix will be covered under warranty... so far I have heard zero rattles on my 2013 ES.. but I had an 07 Avalon that had a rattle in it every time the temperature got down in the 40's or cooler. It always sounded like it was coming from the right side of the dash.. so I googled it one night and found that several others had the same "cool weather" issue but said the rattle was coming from the mechanism in the moon roof... I took it to the dealer who confirmed it was the moon roof and said they would have to completely remove it and headliner to fix it... I was planning on trading it in anyway in just a month or two and since running the heater for 5 minutes caused the rattle to stop ( apparently some kind of metal expansion / contraction in cooler temps ) I didn't fool with having it fixed... Cool temps are not normally an issue down here in Louisiana... anyway glad you's will be a warranty job.

Poppa
Old 11-10-17, 05:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Pab12.. glad you fix will be covered under warranty... so far I have heard zero rattles on my 2013 ES.. but I had an 07 Avalon that had a rattle in it every time the temperature got down in the 40's or cooler. It always sounded like it was coming from the right side of the dash.. so I googled it one night and found that several others had the same "cool weather" issue but said the rattle was coming from the mechanism in the moon roof... I took it to the dealer who confirmed it was the moon roof and said they would have to completely remove it and headliner to fix it... I was planning on trading it in anyway in just a month or two and since running the heater for 5 minutes caused the rattle to stop ( apparently some kind of metal expansion / contraction in cooler temps ) I didn't fool with having it fixed... Cool temps are not normally an issue down here in Louisiana... anyway glad you's will be a warranty job.

Poppa
This post reminded me of the dash squeak issue you had early on in cooler weather. Has it not come back since the fix?

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle