Delay in startup ES350 model 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 02:14 AM
Pure79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delay in startup ES350 model 2014

Dear all,

I bought a brand new car in 2014 from lexus Dubai and from the time i bought it i used to get a delay in startup ,, strange sound and delay,, i took the car to the main workshop and they said we didn’t hear any delay ,, the delay imdoes not come always and because i am the only one who drive the car i could hear it some time ,, then the frequency become more and more and whenever i go and complain they don’t hear it ,, then i recorded the startup were the noise of the delay is clear ,, they declared that it is ubnormal but because they didn’t hear it themselves they keep saying we don’t know the exact problem

it has been 3 years and four months from the time i bought this care ,, and each time they do the service on my care the delay in the startup disappeares for one month and then it come again

i have two vedios record of my car,, can any one tell me what might be the cause of this plz because i am fedup from lexus dubai

Old 10-21-17, 12:12 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the key to diagnosing is in your statement, "each time they do service, the delay disappears for a month". What is the service that they do? Can you correlate specific service performed to the disappearance of startup delay? Fundamentally, startup in any car depends on the spark created from starter and battery and too many things can cause a delay. Those include ignition coil loosing voltage due to defect in rubber boot or it not seated properly, loss of voltage from battery due to parasitic current draw from defect in wire insulation or other causes such as wiring not seated properly leading to local arcing, microscopic crack in spark plug, other parasitic draw etc. I would also suggest to open the hood and look carefully at all wiring originating from battery via starter to ignition coils on the spark plugs. If there is an issue related to local arcing, you will see blackened areas. Since arcing is intermittent and can occur unpredictably, the startup delay you experience will also be intermittent. But too many possibilities exist to narrow the problem specifically. If you can correlate the symptom to what fixes it for a month, then a solution can be suggested. Also, I suggest to ask someone who knows about cars to observe under the hood while you start the car. You are looking for anything obvious you can observe as you start with the hood open. Pinpoint the source of noise or anything else you can observe at startup. Finally, if the issue is internal to the starter, then the entire starter would need to be changed. It is buried deep and would require removing a few things to get to it.

Last edited by DanZ; 10-21-17 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 03:28 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

From the recording I don't hear any delay. Tough to assess in a 6 second video/audio recording, but honestly sounds exactly like my Lexus...
Old 10-21-17, 11:59 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm sorry my friend but I can't really hear any delay... sounds normal to me.
Old 10-22-17, 06:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hear the delay, in both videos you can hear it turn over more than normal at around the 3 second mark. I agree, this isn't normal! Dealer needs to check the basics; spark, fuel and air!
Old 10-22-17, 09:34 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If Hypervish is correct - I don't think hear it but I don't hear a lot of things anymore - and it doesn't have the problem after service is your dealer refueling the car for you or adding an additive of some sort. How many miles before the problem reappears? And where are you buying your gas? Also, always check the battery.

Dave Mac
Old 10-22-17, 11:25 AM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I clearly hear the delay. Perhaps, my ears are trained since I have been on cars since I was like 10 years old.
Old 10-22-17, 01:26 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have been on cars since I was about 10 or earlier too but I have outlived my ears - which isn't all bad sometimes.

Dave Mac
Old 10-24-17, 05:54 PM
rriccardi
Driver School Candidate

Not sure what I hear, Can't tell if it's a delay or something else. Sounds a lot like mine honestly. but maybe try another dealer. Not all dealers are created equal.
Plots of luck and let us know what happens.
Old 09-10-19, 02:16 PM
BULL3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pure79
Dear all,

I bought a brand new car in 2014 from lexus Dubai and from the time i bought it i used to get a delay in startup ,, strange sound and delay,, i took the car to the main workshop and they said we didn’t hear any delay ,, the delay imdoes not come always and because i am the only one who drive the car i could hear it some time ,, then the frequency become more and more and whenever i go and complain they don’t hear it ,, then i recorded the startup were the noise of the delay is clear ,, they declared that it is ubnormal but because they didn’t hear it themselves they keep saying we don’t know the exact problem

it has been 3 years and four months from the time i bought this care ,, and each time they do the service on my care the delay in the startup disappeares for one month and then it come again

i have two vedios record of my car,, can any one tell me what might be the cause of this plz because i am fedup from lexus dubai

https://youtu.be/XLFcLRkv9Rg

https://youtu.be/IiCVar_pjz0
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

My wife's car is experiencing this exact issue. I changed the car battery, starter (4 times), Key Fob Battery, checked the terminals, spark plugs, Flywheel

This is the only post I've found online with the same issue I am experiencing.

If any one has any idea or same experience please let me know.