ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

36 hours with my 2016 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 01:08 PM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 36 hours with my 2016 ES350

I bought a 2007 Lexus ES350 in 2009. That was the best car I have ever purchased.

There were a few minor issues with the 2007. A noise in the front end, the passenger window would jump the track, and 11 years of dings, scratches, and paint transfer. It was about time for a new car. So I looked around at every model out there, a TESLA S 100D is really the car I want. However I can't justify the cost. I don't consume $50,000 difference in gas over the life of a car. (I have tracked my gas consumption since 2010 and have spend less than $1600 a year in gas the last 7.5 years) The new Mercedes Cs look pretty bad ***, but I feel are pretty cheap in the inside. I'm not a Beemer guy.

I was able to find a great price for a Nightfall Mica (Blue) 2016 Lexus ES 350 with Blindside Monitor, Lane departure, Adaptive cruise control, Hard Drive Navigation. It was manufactured in July 2016, so I will get 4 years 50,000 warranty until December 2020.

The Good:
  • The car looks amazing first off, I like the big grill.
  • Blindside Monitor is a must have nowadays. It works great.
  • Lane Departure is a little annoying on short trips. I have it turned off for local trips. I had it turned on for a longer drive in the country and I can see how it can be useful on long trips.
  • I got the sportier looking rims, which I am still on the fence. I thought they looked good from a distance. Close up they're a little more plastic looking then I'd like.
  • It's a Lexus so it is near perfect as compared to almost all other cars.
  • Traffic on the Nav is nice and seems to work pretty well. (I live in DC and traffic is a constant issue.)

The Bad:
  • They shortened the telescoping steering wheel, I have relatively long arms and like to lean back. I haven't quite found the right position yet. It will take some adjustment
  • No SunGlass Holder! That is super annoying. I hear the people saying that their sunglass holder rattled. I never had that problem. I've found a clip to place on the visor and THE CLIP RATTLES.
  • The goofy mouse and home brew enform system is just garbage. Apple CarPlay or Android Auto please. My phone already knows where I want to go and what I want to listen to, I just need my car to follow my phone's lead. I have a vent mount phone holder (I understand you may not like but it works better than inputting addresses constantly) that I use more often than the on screen NAV.
  • It may just be psychosomatic but some of the finishes seem a little cheaper than the 2007. Maybe because I know the car was made in Kentucky.
    • The goofy, unnecessary Trunk close button is hollow and wiggles.
    • The window open and close buttons seem cheaper.
    • Just the little finishing touches seemed nicer, maybe just in my memory, in the 2007.

In the end, I'm very happy with the car and have already received a few complements. Just a couple of little things here and there, that are really just 1st world problems.

The car drives great, is super comfortable, and the added safety features are very appreciated.
Old 09-25-17, 02:50 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NewCombo
I bought a 2007 Lexus ES350 in 2009. That was the best car I have ever purchased.

There were a few minor issues with the 2007. A noise in the front end, the passenger window would jump the track, and 11 years of dings, scratches, and paint transfer. It was about time for a new car. So I looked around at every model out there, a TESLA S 100D is really the car I want. However I can't justify the cost. I don't consume $50,000 difference in gas over the life of a car. (I have tracked my gas consumption since 2010 and have spend less than $1600 a year in gas the last 7.5 years) The new Mercedes Cs look pretty bad ***, but I feel are pretty cheap in the inside. I'm not a Beemer guy.

I was able to find a great price for a Nightfall Mica (Blue) 2016 Lexus ES 350 with Blindside Monitor, Lane departure, Adaptive cruise control, Hard Drive Navigation. It was manufactured in July 2016, so I will get 4 years 50,000 warranty until December 2020.

The Good:
  • Lane Departure is a little annoying on short trips. I have it turned off for local trips. I had it turned on for a longer drive in the country and I can see how it can be useful on long trips.
  • I got the sportier looking rims, which I am still on the fence. I thought they looked good from a distance. Close up they're a little more plastic looking then I'd like.
  • Traffic on the Nav is nice and seems to work pretty well. (I live in DC and traffic is a constant issue.)

The Bad:
  • They shortened the telescoping steering wheel, I have relatively long arms and like to lean back. I haven't quite found the right position yet. It will take some adjustment
  • No SunGlass Holder! That is super annoying. I hear the people saying that their sunglass holder rattled. I never had that problem. I've found a clip to place on the visor and THE CLIP RATTLES.
  • The goofy mouse and home brew enform system is just garbage. Apple CarPlay or Android Auto please. My phone already knows where I want to go and what I want to listen to, I just need my car to follow my phone's lead. I have a vent mount phone holder (I understand you may not like but it works better than inputting addresses constantly) that I use more often than the on screen NAV.
  • It may just be psychosomatic but some of the finishes seem a little cheaper than the 2007. Maybe because I know the car was made in Kentucky.
    • Just the little finishing touches seemed nicer, maybe just in my memory, in the 2007.

In the end, I'm very happy with the car and have already received a few complements. Just a couple of little things here and there, that are really just 1st world problems.

The car drives great, is super comfortable, and the added safety features are very appreciated.
Congrats and enjoy your new ES - don't worry, the mouse will probably grow on you - my wife didn't like it at first but loves it now- just adjust the sensitivity to your liking.
Old 09-27-17, 12:50 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't stop playing with the mouse..... I use it to change the radio stations all the time.
Old 09-27-17, 02:33 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dspcap
I can't stop playing with the mouse..... I use it to change the radio stations all the time.
That what voice control if for as far as I am concerned.
Old 09-27-17, 06:33 PM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Congrats and enjoy your new ES - don't worry, the mouse will probably grow on you - my wife didn't like it at first but loves it now- just adjust the sensitivity to your liking.
Originally Posted by Maikerusan
That what voice control if for as far as I am concerned.
I don't mind the mouse thing. It works just find.

Once you've used Apple CarPlay the homebrew car manufacturer systems just seem silly.

My calendar on my phone knows where my next meeting is and gives me an automatic update of how long it will take to get there and an automatic map to get there. Then when you get the car Lexus wants you to input an address like 2005 into some old system. I should be able to have the map go up on the car screen and./or automatically send the address to the car.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-27-17, 07:51 PM
Lexusel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you mind sharing the price you paid?
Old 09-27-17, 08:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

I don't mind the mouse thing. It works just find.

Once you've used Apple CarPlay the homebrew car manufacturer systems just seem silly.

My calendar on my phone knows where my next meeting is and gives me an automatic update of how long it will take to get there and an automatic map to get there. Then when you get the car Lexus wants you to input an address like 2005 into some old system. I should be able to have the map go up on the car screen and./or automatically send the address to the car.

​​​​​​​
I agree with you. And the map street view sucks too.
Old 09-28-17, 04:52 AM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusel
Would you mind sharing the price you paid?
I have a guy where I pay 5% of the wholesale price. I got it for under MMR (Manheim Market Report).
I don't think my price would be helpful.
Old 09-28-17, 05:24 AM
Lexusel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Can your guy help me in AZ. It's a racket here. I most likely will buy in California when I'm visiting my brother.
Old 09-28-17, 05:36 AM
NewCombo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusel
Can your guy help me in AZ. It's a racket here. I most likely will buy in California when I'm visiting my brother.
My guy is in Manheim, PA. They're really not set up to ship nationally. They do the car buying service on the side.

There is a Manheim auction in Phoenix and big ones in California.

If you buy something under 4 years 50,000 miles it still has the manufacturer's warranty. If you run a CarFAX you can see if it has accident, CarFaX is doing a free flood check too as a result of the hurricanes.
If that is clean imo you still want someone to check the paint and the frame.

Put an add in Craigslist and say you're looking for someone that has access to Manheim and you know the make, model, year and package you want and your money is ready for a quick transaction.

You may get a hit. Obviously make sure they're a licensed dealer and you're not getting into a Shady situation.

There are a lot of folks that will offer wholesale car buying service on the side.

A dealership is the easier route for most people and worth the extra few K on markup to have a more refined buying experience.

Last edited by NewCombo; 09-28-17 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 12:33 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Good:

The Bad:

boy if those things are making you feel there are cheap parts in the car.........be glad you're not in the 13-15 ES.