ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

key question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 09:14 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Nelexus can you explain how to put a fob to sleep?
I'm on the 2IS platform so it may not be applicable but my backup key kills batteries pretty quick like 2mo. I cleaned the little PCBA with IPA as it was dirty from years of pocket grim but it didn't help.
Thanks in a advance.
Here you go, at least for the 6th gen ES.
Press the unlock button twice while pressing and holding lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times. While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart access system with push-button start cannot be used. To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nelexus88:
2013FSport (09-22-17), bc6152 (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 11:24 AM
Alamolady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maikerusan, you're right of course.

However, I fear leaving my purse in the shopping cart may be a bigger risk.

I've tried purses with shoulder straps, but they get uncomfortable carrying around after a while, and I need the purse with me for other stops that day.

I've heard of thieves grabbing purses off shoulders, too. As a senior citizen, I may look like an easy target!

So, I feel locking my purse in the trunk is the least risky behavior as long as I'm confident that the car won't open or drive due to my key being in the trunk. There is nothing visible inside that a thief would break a window to get.
Old 09-22-17, 11:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The sensors are very zone specific, key in the trunk would not enable engine start.
Key held out an open window does not start car.

Fob disable sequence properly described by NeLexus88 works well for joggers,
bikers, swimmers that want to take the light/cheap/water proof mechanical key
and leave the electric fob in the car. Hold Lock and press unlock twice, confirm
by seeing four (4) flashes and put the fob out of sight anywhere in the car.
Carry the mechanical key and let your self back in, press any key button...
Old 09-22-17, 11:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The sensors are very zone specific, key in the trunk would not enable engine start.
Key held out an open window does not start car.
Being cursed with the high level of curiosity that I have, I had to go out to the car, put the key in the trunk, and see if I could start the car with the key in the trunk. As you said, with the key in the trunk, I was not able to start the car; however, what I was able to do was to use the trunk release button inside the car to pop the trunk open. That means that, for the OP, if she leaves the key and her purse in the trunk, if a thief did get access to the inside of the car, he/she would still be able to open the trunk and have access to her purse and the key.
Old 09-22-17, 12:04 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Being cursed with the high level of curiosity that I have, I had to go out to the car, put the key in the trunk, and see if I could start the car with the key in the trunk. As you said, with the key in the trunk, I was not able to start the car; however, what I was able to do was to use the trunk release button inside the car to pop the trunk open. That means that, for the OP, if she leaves the key and her purse in the trunk, if a thief did get access to the inside of the car, he/she would still be able to open the trunk and have access to her purse and the key.
Now, lock the glove-box and try again!
Old 09-22-17, 12:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Now, lock the glove-box and try again!
Damn, Mike, it is over 90 degrees outside, and I'm getting tired of going back out to the car.

But I did anyway. Even with the glove box locked, with the fob in the trunk, I was still able to use the trunk release button inside the car to pop the trunk open.

In any case, for the OP, if she is with her husband and if her husband has his key, I'm not sure why she would even need to take her key with her. It seems to me that a better and safer solution would be for her to take her key out of her purse and leave it at home, instead of taking it with her and leaving it in the trunk.
Old 09-22-17, 12:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Thanks for the instructions...
Reporting no love from the 2IS Tx...
Worth a try but puddle lights say remote is on.
Old 09-22-17, 01:52 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Damn, Mike, it is over 90 degrees outside, and I'm getting tired of going back out to the car.

But I did anyway. Even with the glove box locked, with the fob in the trunk, I was still able to use the trunk release button inside the car to pop the trunk open.

In any case, for the OP, if she is with her husband and if her husband has his key, I'm not sure why she would even need to take her key with her. It seems to me that a better and safer solution would be for her to take her key out of her purse and leave it at home, instead of taking it with her and leaving it in the trunk.
I guess I forgot to mention the important part of the test. Before you lock the glove-box, press the trunk override switch.
Old 09-22-17, 09:26 PM
Alamolady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some experimenting today in a big box store parking lot (I had put my purse in the trunk prior to leaving home).

Hubby locked the car with his key and walked away.

All doors and the trunk stayed locked.

Later, back at home, I sat in the drivers seat and had hubby lock the car and go into the house. My purse remained in the trunk.

I was unable to start the engine.

I was unable to open the trunk using the release near the steering wheel.

So, this is MY car's function. Anyone who might want to leave a key in the trunk should probably experiment too, first. Different models and years or even same-year production may perform differently. For me, these are the results I want.

Lesz, of course you're right about simply leaving the key at home. Most of the time I don't know which car hubby has decided to drive that day until I get to the garage. Now if only I could discipline myself to ask hubby the right question in advance
Old 09-23-17, 12:32 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Exclamation 2IS unexpected locking/unlocking via remote commands

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Thanks for the instructions...
Reporting no love from the 2IS Tx...
Worth a try but puddle lights say remote is on.
UPDATE:
I have no clue if this will apply to you folks but holding the LOCK and Pressing the UNLOCK while fob is talking to car (in range) and car sounded like R2D2 in distress as it went off with so many beeps and chirps I couldn't count. Bottom line is this door lock behavior has been CHANGED!

Prior to this:
Touch inside driver door handle and it opens drivers door. Now, ALL doors unlock.
Push fob door unlock button once and drivers door unlocks. Now, ALL doors unlock. So, this action (trying to put remote to sleep), changed the 2IS locking functions.

In both cases it now beeps four times to notify you that 4 doors are now unlocked. Interesting.....

I think a Techstream may be in my favor to fix this as I have no idea what will happen if I do it again. And it should be noted that I don't know how many times the fob flashed and how may times I pushed the unlock button. Maybe 3X when this happened?

If anyone has any insight on how to put it back that would be great!

EDIT - RESOLVED:
On 2IS holding both lock and unlock for about 5 seconds toggles it from unlock all to unlock drivers door only. Hold both for 5sec to toggle state.

As you were! =D

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-23-17 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added new content