ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does your ES have a lot of steering wheel vibration at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 07:57 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Does your ES have a lot of steering wheel vibration at idle?

My 2014 ES350 almost feels like a diesel at stoplights through the steering wheel

I test drove a few ES of this generation, and noticed it on another model I test drove. Coming from an LS, I knew it wasn't going to be as good at isolating vibrations and noise. My LS felt like the car was turned off when you were stopped at a light.

But I'm really shocked Lexus would let their ES come out with that much vibration through the steering wheel. It feels like a cheap economy car. Otherwise the car is silky smooth, as soon as I leave the stoplight, the steering wheel vibration goes away.

I've noticed other people online complain about it, and I can't imagine a motor mount going out at like 40k miles.

Just wanted to take a survey, do other owners feels a decent amount of vibration through their steering wheel when stopped at a light in "drive"? Is this just how they are?
Old 09-19-17, 10:26 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
My 2014 ES350 almost feels like a diesel at stoplights through the steering wheel

I test drove a few ES of this generation, and noticed it on another model I test drove. Coming from an LS, I knew it wasn't going to be as good at isolating vibrations and noise. My LS felt like the car was turned off when you were stopped at a light.

But I'm really shocked Lexus would let their ES come out with that much vibration through the steering wheel. It feels like a cheap economy car. Otherwise the car is silky smooth, as soon as I leave the stoplight, the steering wheel vibration goes away.

I've noticed other people online complain about it, and I can't imagine a motor mount going out at like 40k miles.

Just wanted to take a survey, do other owners feels a decent amount of vibration through their steering wheel when stopped at a light in "drive"? Is this just how they are?
I feel a slight vibration in my ES350 on the steering wheel and shifter but only when the AC is on.
Old 09-19-17, 10:38 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I feel a slight vibration in my ES350 on the steering wheel and shifter but only when the AC is on.
+1 - Exactly the same with my car and every other car I've owned..
Old 09-19-17, 10:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've now owned 2 ES350s, a 2013 that I had for 3 1/2 years and a 2017 that I've now owned for almost a year.

When I read a similar thread at some point in the past and when I had the 2013 ES, I made a point of paying close attention to what was happening at idle to make sure that there wasn't vibration that I wasn't noticing. And I saw that there was no vibration whatever.

This morning after reading this thread, I was out with the 2017 ES, and, again, I paid particular attention to what was happening at idle. Both with the AC on and with the AC off, there was absolutely no vibration in the steering wheel, shifter, or any other location inside the car. I would describe the situation much like the OP described his LS. While idling there would have been no noticeable difference, with regard to vibration, between when the engine was idling and when it was turned off.
Old 09-19-17, 10:45 AM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here. Slight vibration at idle, but super smooth the rest of the time. I use Shell premium 93 fuel. I get 29 mpg on a mix of city/hwy.
Old 09-19-17, 11:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I've now owned 2 ES350s, a 2013 that I had for 3 1/2 years and a 2017 that I've now owned for almost a year.

When I read a similar thread at some point in the past and when I had the 2013 ES, I made a point of paying close attention to what was happening at idle to make sure that there wasn't vibration that I wasn't noticing. And I saw that there was no vibration whatever.

This morning after reading this thread, I was out with the 2017 ES, and, again, I paid particular attention to what was happening at idle. Both with the AC on and with the AC off, there was absolutely no vibration in the steering wheel, shifter, or any other location inside the car. I would describe the situation much like the OP described his LS. While idling there would have been no noticeable difference, with regard to vibration, between when the engine was idling and when it was turned off.
Yep I saw the comments before and payed attention to it on my ES steering wheel at idel. No vibration that would concern me at all. My 2013 has 67k on it.

I would go to Dealer have checked out, and ask to start a few others there, sit in with them and compare back to back.
Old 09-19-17, 12:06 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No vibration in 2015 ES 350. I saw this thread earlier and made a point to check it out as I have to drive 300 miles today from NoCal to SoCal. There is no vibration when stopped, a/c full on or lowered.
A vibration source can be from many places: misaligned pulley/tensioner, loose battery hold down, power steering pump having low or dirty fluid (not likely at 40k miles), motor mount (highly unlikely at 40k miles as you stated), or disturbed sound proofing layer if any work was done on rack and pinion.
With the car running and a/c full on and headlights full on to increase load on engine, look at the belt. Is it running smoothly with no slipping or jumping? Also put your hand on the battery hold down, is it vibrating?Then observe both again with a/c off.
Old 09-19-17, 01:07 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

No vibration in my '17.
Old 09-19-17, 02:29 PM
BradTank
Racer

Either there's large swaths of ES350s with something wrong with them, or some people are just more sensitive to it? It just baffles me that Lexus made this car have so much steering wheel vibration. You would think it's an older economy car.

These are still relatively new cars, usually things like motor mounts shouldn't be having large failure rates this early in. My LS started having a rough idle when it was like 140k miles and then after new motor mounts, it was smooth as glass.

I might go test drive a similar ES, but it's not the only one I've driven where I noticed it.

My former LS and my wife's current GX are as smooth as glass as far as steering wheel vibration. But they also are V8s which naturally tend to be smoother.

My warranty is up in like a month, I might have them check it out or go test drive a few more to see.
Old 09-19-17, 03:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It might be interesting/useful to know at what rpm level different people's cars are idling and if those who are reporting that they don't see any vibration might have cars that are idling at a slightly higher rpm level than are the cars of those who are saying that there is vibration.
Old 09-19-17, 05:37 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

My car feels like it shuts down at idle. Oh wait - it does. Sorry, I couldn't resist. But honestly, that serenity at a stop is one of the things I like about the car. I would also be upset if I felt vibration at a stop so I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to contribute since my model doesn't run at a stop. It definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your car though.
The following users liked this post:
Rafadog (06-17-19)
Old 09-19-17, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Was your LS RWD or AWD? If you put your ES in park or neutral, does the vibration go away? Does it only happen in drive or reverse?

I think what you're feeling is inherent to the FWD platform of the ES vs what you are accustomed to, as well as the less balanced transverse V6 vs the smoother longitudinal V8. The GX is a BOF vehicle and I believe when its in 2WD mode its 100% RWD. The steering wheel would be totally detached from the drivetrain at idle, and the drivetrain would sit in the frame, not the body. If your previous LS sedans were RWD, they too obviously had front wheels that were totally detached from the drivetrain at idle.

I feel that vibration in the ESs I've driven (many), felt it in the older gen ES's I owned, and in every other FWD car I've had/driven. Even my LS460, which is AWD I feel a little idle vibration in the steering wheel and gearshift, where I never felt anything like that in my RWD LS430 or LS400. In driving a few LSs I found that to be the case in every AWD LS460 I drove, but absent in every RWD LS460 I drove. At any kind of speed it goes 100% away.

You would get used to it.
Old 09-20-17, 06:40 AM
mtsmts
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slight vibration at idle

I have a 2013 and brought it brand new. I also felt a slight vibration at idle. When I sit too long at a stop, I would shift to N to take out the vibe. Maybe like the previous post mentioned it is due to the car been FWD. If you do take your car to the dealer, please share back what their take on this. Thanks
Old 09-20-17, 01:01 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Was your LS RWD or AWD? If you put your ES in park or neutral, does the vibration go away? Does it only happen in drive or reverse?

I think what you're feeling is inherent to the FWD platform of the ES vs what you are accustomed to, as well as the less balanced transverse V6 vs the smoother longitudinal V8. The GX is a BOF vehicle and I believe when its in 2WD mode its 100% RWD. The steering wheel would be totally detached from the drivetrain at idle, and the drivetrain would sit in the frame, not the body. If your previous LS sedans were RWD, they too obviously had front wheels that were totally detached from the drivetrain at idle.

I feel that vibration in the ESs I've driven (many), felt it in the older gen ES's I owned, and in every other FWD car I've had/driven. Even my LS460, which is AWD I feel a little idle vibration in the steering wheel and gearshift, where I never felt anything like that in my RWD LS430 or LS400. In driving a few LSs I found that to be the case in every AWD LS460 I drove, but absent in every RWD LS460 I drove. At any kind of speed it goes 100% away.

You would get used to it.
You are correct, although very slight, it completely goes away in park or neutral.
Old 09-20-17, 01:25 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS

I think what you're feeling is inherent to the FWD platform of the ES vs what you are accustomed to, as well as the less balanced transverse V6 vs the smoother longitudinal V8. The GX is a BOF vehicle and I believe when its in 2WD mode its 100% RWD.

The GX is full time 4wd.

Quick Reply: Does your ES have a lot of steering wheel vibration at idle?