ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New to Me ES350. My Questions Thread. Pls Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That's the point, 5500k bulbs are not brighter than 4100k bulbs, they are dimmer. That's physics, the higher color temperature has lower light output.

Well documented on the internet.

As I said, if you care about light output you should purchase a bulb with the highest amount of lumens, not the highest color temperature.

You are also incorrect that the brighter bulb "can be aimed further down the road", you don't understand how the projectors are designed. They deliberately cut off projection down the road to avoid blinding incoming drivers. That's why HID bulbs have such a sharp cutoff compared to halogen bulbs, that's by design. Your current bulbs are the brightest bulbs (in terms of output) you will get, lighting up the road further down is just a function of aim.

Is this your first car with HIDs? Take some time to get used to them. You will get used to the cutoff. I've had cars with HIDS for almost 20 years, I've only had to adjust the lamp aim on one car, my 2013 GS, and only slightly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-11-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 08:42 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's the point, 5500k bulbs are not brighter than 4100k bulbs, they are dimmer. That's physics, the higher color temperature has lower light output.

Well documented on the internet.

As I said, if you care about light output you should purchase a bulb with the highest amount of lumens, not the highest color temperature.

You are also incorrect that the brighter bulb "can be aimed further down the road", you don't understand how the projectors are designed. They deliberately cut off projection down the road to avoid blinding incoming drivers. That's why HID bulbs have such a sharp cutoff compared to halogen bulbs, that's by design. Your current bulbs are the brightest bulbs (in terms of output) you will get, lighting up the road further down is just a function of aim.

Is this your first car with HIDs? Take some time to get used to them. You will get used to the cutoff. I've had cars with HIDS for almost 20 years, I've only had to adjust the lamp aim on one car, my 2013 GS, and only slightly.
LOL! 1st car with HID's 2002. I think. And I never said that 5500k bulbs are brighter than 4100k bulbs. Not sure where you got that from? And FYI people do have variable eye site.

You can move the projection down the road by adjustments of the aim upward. And a brighter light is brighter.

And not all HID projectors cut off blinding on coming cars. There are a few cars and truck out there that the factory HID systems blind everyone on low.

Thanks for your opinion. So what blub would you suggest, that has highest amount of lumens, not the highest color temperature????? That's what I would like to know. That would be helpful.

Last edited by jgscott; 09-11-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
LOL! 1st car with HID's 2002. I think. And I never said that 5500k bulbs are brighter than 4100k bulbs. Not sure where you got that from? And FYI people do have variable eye site.

You can move the projection down the road by adjustments of the aim upward. And a brighter light is brighter.
These statements are not logical. You have said you want brighter lights. You purchased a set of Morimoto 5500k bulbs, which are in fact dimmer than the OEM 4100k bulbs. Do you see where that doesn't make any sense?

If you want brighter bulbs, and you purchased 5500k bulbs it only makes sense you would think they were brighter.

It's important to note that with a physical cutoff designed into the projector system a brighter bulb WILL NOT project any further down the road. They bulbs you have are capable of projecting much farther than they do, they are physically blocked by doing so.

And not all HID projectors cut off blinding on coming cars. There are a few cars and truck out there that the factory HID systems blind everyone on low.
Yes they do. Any system that does not have a cutoff would not be DOT legal in the United States. In any event we are talking about your Lexus which absolutely 100% has a cutoff. Some cars may blind you, but they still have a cutoff it's just designed differently or the owner has re-aimed them as you're trying to do.

Thanks for your opinion. So what blub would you suggest, that has highest amount of lumens, not the highest color temperature????? That's what I would like to know. That would be helpful.
It's really not an opinion, if you do a little googling and research on your own you will see that I'm correct.

I already told you what I recommend in an earlier post. I would look into Osram CBI (Cool Blue Intense). The name is terrible, they aren't blue at all. They're a 4,800-5,000k color temp which is whiter (no yellow, but no blue) while still putting out 3,100-3,200 lumens which is what a 4,100k bulb does. Osram makes the OEM bulbs also, at least the ones in my LS.

I did a ton of research before I bought these and read dozens and dozens of sources. I wanted better color and brighter light to match my LED fogs better, but I didn't want to give up any output, these were the only game in town. Now there are a couple competitors with a similar product.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...66440-cbi.html
Old 09-12-17, 10:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

These statements are not logical. You have said you want brighter lights. You purchased a set of Morimoto 5500k bulbs, which are in fact dimmer than the OEM 4100k bulbs. Do you see where that doesn't make any sense?

If you want brighter bulbs, and you purchased 5500k bulbs it only makes sense you would think they were brighter.

It's important to note that with a physical cutoff designed into the projector system a brighter bulb WILL NOT project any further down the road. They bulbs you have are capable of projecting much farther than they do, they are physically blocked by doing so.

Yes they do. Any system that does not have a cutoff would not be DOT legal in the United States. In any event we are talking about your Lexus which absolutely 100% has a cutoff. Some cars may blind you, but they still have a cutoff it's just designed differently or the owner has re-aimed them as you're trying to do.

It's really not an opinion, if you do a little googling and research on your own you will see that I'm correct.

I already told you what I recommend in an earlier post. I would look into Osram CBI (Cool Blue Intense). The name is terrible, they aren't blue at all. They're a 4,800-5,000k color temp which is whiter (no yellow, but no blue) while still putting out 3,100-3,200 lumens which is what a 4,100k bulb does. Osram makes the OEM bulbs also, at least the ones in my LS.

I did a ton of research before I bought these and read dozens and dozens of sources. I wanted better color and brighter light to match my LED fogs better, but I didn't want to give up any output, these were the only game in town. Now there are a couple competitors with a similar product.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...66440-cbi.html
Relax. The bulbs I ordered were out of stock. I canned the order.

Thanks for your help. FYI: There are many blinding factory lights out there right now. The GM pickups and even the New Corollas and others.
Old 09-12-17, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Can't speak to the GM trucks, but new Corollas have LED lights, not HID lights. Entirely different technology. I can't say I routinely see any cars who's lights I think are blinding.
Old 09-12-17, 11:34 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Can't speak to the GM trucks, but new Corollas have LED lights, not HID lights. Entirely different technology. I can't say I routinely see any cars who's lights I think are blinding.
I am quite aware that the Corollas have LED lights. The subject I commenting about is you saying blinding lights, Not types of lights.

Again, thanks for your opinion. I beginning to think that no light would be brighter unless its higher voltage and watts. I appreciate it.
Old 09-15-17, 07:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Can someone tell me how to change the dash indicator from avg mph, back to the blue bar that shows fuel economy as you drive? Somehow its on avg mph now.

And also is there a miles to empty in the gas tank readout that I can see? I cant find anything or place that tells me how many miles in fuel I have left.
Old 09-15-17, 07:52 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The DISP button on the right side of the steering wheel will change what is displayed on the dash screen. Push it multiple times and it will cycle thru several parameters like the 'blue bar' current fuel economy, mpg after refueling, avg speed, tire pressure... etc.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 06:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GES
The DISP button on the right side of the steering wheel will change what is displayed on the dash screen. Push it multiple times and it will cycle thru several parameters like the 'blue bar' current fuel economy, mpg after refueling, avg speed, tire pressure... etc.
Thank you. Got it.
Old 09-16-17, 06:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Now next Dumb question. And I have searched.

I have a iphone 6s. I also use a Bluetooth Headset. I looked in all the displays.

Is there a way the tell the Lexus Car Bluetooth NOT To Automatically Connect to the phone when I get in the car?

The iphone does not have a setting for a single Bluetooth device that I can find?
Old 09-16-17, 08:13 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I believe you need to go into the Bluetooth setup in your car settings, and remove your phone. As long as it is paired, I think it will try to connect. It sounds like the phone finds the car before it sees the headset, but I don't think there is any way to control that behavior from the perspective of the phone. Let us know if you find another solution.
Old 09-17-17, 08:12 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Now next Dumb question. And I have searched.

I have a iphone 6s. I also use a Bluetooth Headset. I looked in all the displays.

Is there a way the tell the Lexus Car Bluetooth NOT To Automatically Connect to the phone when I get in the car?

The iphone does not have a setting for a single Bluetooth device that I can find?
You can go on the Bluetooth menu in your phone. This is in the phone settings. You will see a list of the devices the phone is paired to. The car is one of them. you choose the device you want the phone to connect to.