Opinions On This Deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 10:31 AM
kme19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Opinions On This Deal

Hi, all...
As much as I like the grill of the newer models, I found this 2014 and thought it was a pretty good deal. With
two kids heading to college soon, this price point is nice.

http://www.audiwestmont.com/used/LEX...vdp-recentCars

There are 15,000 miles left on the original warranty. Price is non negotiable they tell me.
The cheapest 2014's that are CPO around here go for at least $26,900
Going to test drive it tomorrow. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-17, 10:38 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

I would grab it if I were you. Just check for any damage.
The following users liked this post:
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 11:18 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
I would grab it if I were you. Just check for any damage.
Assuming that the car has no obvious mechanical problems and that it has not had any significant collision repairs, that is a nice price for a 2014 Luxury Package ES with navigation and other nice options. That car would have had an original MSRP right around $45,000.

At about 35,000 miles, if the car still has its original tires, they would be getting close to the point when they would need to be repaired. Even though the car is being sold by a non-Lexus dealer, the linked listing says that they did a 125 point inspection. I would suggest checking to see what that inspection says about the tires and brakes. If you would need to replace the tires and brake pads in the relatively near future, that would be like adding about $1500 to the price of the car. Otherwise, with still 15,000 miles left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty and 25,000 miles left on the power train warranty, that is a plus.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 05:12 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kme19
Hi, all...
As much as I like the grill of the newer models, I found this 2014 and thought it was a pretty good deal.
Thanks!
You can black out the painted center grille bar to resemble the newer ES grills if you like that look. I used satin black vinyl wrap on my '14 so it can be removed if desired. Others have painted it. Some previous threads have pics if you search.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 05:47 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This appears to be a good deal. However, the carfax shows some servicing at 1546 miles, within 1.5 months of it being sold. It would be good to know what that servicing was and why was it necessary. You can try mylexus to see if that contains any history since it was done at a Lexus dealer and should have been recorded. Also, on August 8, the wheels were repaired (wonder what that is indicating?).

In my humble opinion, expenses for tires and brake replacements are not critical items in decision making. Compared to a new car, the savings associated with a depreciated car, lower sales tax, no destination fees and other fees will more than compensate for the tire and brake expenses (and even for certification if it were a certified car). You can get great pricing for tires at Costco and brakes are very easy to do (if you are mechanically inclined) or at a reputed independent shop.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 07:09 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

From the pictures, it appears that the vehicle was very well maintained inside and out. Make an offer $1k off their asking price - even if they say no it seems like an awesome deal. Let us know if you pull the trigger.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 08:15 PM
tnpats5
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

From the picture it looks like a great deal. I also agree with blacking out the grill if you want it looking like the newer models.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-29-17, 08:52 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Assuming everything checks out, it's a fair deal and under what you'll pay at most Lexus dealerships. I would say most would want $3k-$4k more.
The best deals for these are at dealerships that aren't Lexus. They seem to want to move them.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-30-17, 03:57 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ
This appears to be a good deal. However, the carfax shows some servicing at 1546 miles, within 1.5 months of it being sold. It would be good to know what that servicing was and why was it necessary. You can try mylexus to see if that contains any history since it was done at a Lexus dealer and should have been recorded. Also, on August 8, the wheels were repaired (wonder what that is indicating?).

In my humble opinion, expenses for tires and brake replacements are not critical items in decision making. Compared to a new car, the savings associated with a depreciated car, lower sales tax, no destination fees and other fees will more than compensate for the tire and brake expenses (and even for certification if it were a certified car). You can get great pricing for tires at Costco and brakes are very easy to do (if you are mechanically inclined) or at a reputed independent shop.
This was the service done at 1546 miles.
DAHL COLOR REPAIRED SEAT AFTER INSPECTION. ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES PASSENGER FRONT SEAT HAS BLEMISH IN SEAT BASE LEATHER, SMALL DIMPLES ~ ~DONE ~ ~1546 0 DAHL COLOR REPAIRED SMALL DIMPLES IN PASSENGER SIDE SEAT OUTER BASE
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 12:00 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

well the car appears to be in great condition... if you can verify that there are no mechanical issues to speak of, I think that's a fair price... but I would still offer them a little less... despite what they said, everything's negotiable.. the worst that they can say is no.. and you could still buy the car at thier price. Good luck.

Poppa
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 03:10 AM
kme19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we test drove it at night, went home to sleep on it after they wouldn't budge on price and called the next day to tell them we'd take it.
Went back today and inspected it in the daylight. The rear bumper had pretty significant damage. It obviously had been hit as the panel was tweaked and not flush with the rear tail light as well as some scuffing etc.
The sales manager agreed that it must have been hit even though the car fax was clean. He seemed angry that the damage got missed and the car was on the lot. Who knows... but we passed on it.

Went to a Lexus dealer nearby to look around and found this. They pulled it the garage so we could closely inspect it. Everything looks great. It's been on their lot a month.
They also let me take it home overnight on a test drive. I'm liking it so far.
Thinking of offering $25,000 and see what they say. What do you guys think? Not sure about how negotiations on CPO's go...
Thanks, everyone!!!

http://www.lexusofnaperville.com/Veh...-IL/3034922753

Last edited by kme19; 08-31-17 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-31-17, 03:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Lexusdrivers.com which shows more detail on maintenance than Carfax show all the maintenance has been done and the previous owner did not report any issues.
Old 08-31-17, 05:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Went to a Lexus dealer nearby to look around and found this. They pulled it the garage so we could closely inspect it. Everything looks great. It's been on their lot a month.
Thinking of offering $25,000 and see what they say. What do you guys think? Not sure about how negotiations on CPO's go...
Thanks, everyone!!!

The $26991 asking price for the car is actually a decent price for a 2014 Luxury Package/Navigation Package CPO ES with around 25000 miles on the odometer. The dealer may have a bit of room for negotiations, but, typically, dealers hold pretty firm on their CPO pricing. Room for negotiation is much smaller on CPO vehicles than on new cars because, with new cars, every dealer is going to have access to similarly equipped cars, but, with CPO vehicles, finding others with same equipment, packages, mileage, and condition is not as easy. So, the dealers know that, with few other almost identical vehicles competing with theirs, it is likely that they will find someone willing to pay their asking price or close to it.

I would suggest that, before buying, you make sure that you get the CPO inspection checklist and that you examine it carefully to see what reconditioning/repairs were done on the vehicle and to see what money you might have to put into the car at some point in the near future. Pay attention to how much tread is left on the tires and how much is left on the brake pads. CPO vehicles are only required oto have 5/32" of tread left on the tires. That is only about 1/3 of usable tread. Similarly, they are only required to have about 1/3 of the brake pads left. At 25000 miles, the tires are likely to have only 5/32' or 6/32" of tread left. If the CPO checklist indicates that either the tires or brakes are approaching those lower limits, instead of negotiating on the price of the vehicle, you might have more success in negotiating to get them to put new tires on the car and/or getting them to replace the brake pads.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 09:29 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, we test drove it at night, went home to sleep on it after they wouldn't budge on price and called the next day to tell them we'd take it.
Went back today and inspected it in the daylight. The rear bumper had pretty significant damage. It obviously had been hit as the panel was tweaked and not flush with the rear tail light as well as some scuffing etc.
The sales manager agreed that it must have been hit even though the car fax was clean. He seemed angry that the damage got missed and the car was on the lot. Who knows... but we passed on it.

Thanks, everyone!!!

Wow - good job catching that - it's not noticeable in the pictures unless you look really hard. To properly repair that would most likely be several thousand dollars.
kme19 (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 10:21 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Offer less and see what happens, but that pricing is pretty typical of Lexus dealers.

I actually made an offer on on almost identical one in options at a Lexus dealer, but had more miles (over 40k miles and had a few small cosmetic issues ) and offered $25,000 and said I could write the check right now. I knew I was slightly "overpaying" even at $25k, but it had the exact color and options I wanted and just needed to get this deal done so I could move on. They said no, and didn't even flinch when I left. They were pretty much stuck at $27,500. But I was just getting too close to the price of a new one at what they wanted to get for it.

On the first one you looked at, I can't see the bumper damage, but you can sometimes get a smoking deal on something like that. I was able to get mine that had a small scuff on the bumper for significantly under market value. And I got a quote for only $300 for repair. I ended just dabbing a little bit of touch up paint and I'm not even sure now I'll pay to get it repaired it's so minor. Just something to consider.

Last edited by BradTank; 08-31-17 at 10:28 AM.
kme19 (08-31-17)

Quick Reply: Opinions On This Deal