ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 Self-Guided Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 11:36 AM
calijapan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES350 Self-Guided Maintenance

The indicators on my car, the owner’s manual, and the Lexus dealership recommend taking in my 2013 ES350 for maintenance every 5K miles. However, I think this is unnecessary and costly. In terms of servicing my car, I am thinking to take a hybrid approach of doing simpler (= no special equipment needed) items on my own and leaving the difficult work to the dealership.

I've been browsing the forum for a couple of hours and found this awesome post by Freds430:
Originally Posted by Freds430
I am not sure if the lease requires you to do anything different but I doubt it. Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in an ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything.
Combined with what else I read, it sounds like ([Q1] please verify!):
  1. Every month (from Lexus Warranty and Services Guide): "Check engine oil level using the dipstick, Visually check engine coolant level on the see-through reservoir (under cover), Visually check brake fluid level on the see-through reservoir, Visually check condition of battery, Check level of windshield washer fluid, Check tire pressure, Check tires for damage and wear, Check installation of driver’s floor mat"
  2. Every 10k: Oil change, rotate tires for AWD cars (not RWD)
    1. Is the ES350 AWD??
  3. Every 20k: Change cabin air/engine filters, keyfob battery
  4. Every 30k: Change brake fluid
  5. Every 60k: Change spark plugs
  6. Every 100k: Change coolant
In terms of the maintenance schedule in the official Lexus Warranty and Services Guide, I am done until 20K, but I am not sure how to proceed for 25K, 30K, 35K, 40K. The guide says on pages 50-52:

25K (do it myself) [Q2]
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    • What does "all fluid levels" include?
  • Reset maintenance reminder light
    • I can do this easily following instructions in owner's manual
  • Rotate tires
    • Not necessary
  • Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
    • Is this necessary? Can I do it?
  • Check installation of driver’s floor mat
  • Road-test vehicle
    • Can I do it?
30K (dealer does hard items, I do easy ones) [Q3]
  • Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
    • Is there a more cost-effective option for oil I can have dealer use instead of synthetic 0W-20 oil?
  • Rotate tires
  • [I do it] Replace air conditioner filter
  • Replace brake fluid
  • [I do it] Replace engine air filter
  • [I do it] Replace smart key battery
  • Check installation of driver's floor mat
  • Road test vehicle
  • Inspect the following: ...., engine coolant, ....
35K (do it myself)
  • Exact same as 25K
40K (dealer does it) [Q4]
  • Replace engine oil
  • Rotate tires
  • Check installation of driver’s floor mat
  • Road-test vehicle

I've marked my question areas with Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, so you can answer like "Q1: ....". Please let me know your thoughts!
The following users liked this post:
gasava (11-01-20)
Old 08-27-17, 03:47 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your first question is this.
  1. Is the ES350 AWD??
and a further one is this.

Road-test vehicle
  • Can I do it?
From those questions, I assume you are not really someone who has done maintenance on a car before. Have you ever changed a car's oil and filter yourself?

As for those 2 questions, the Lexus ES350 is front wheel drive.
As for a road test, well, you are driving the car every day or every week. What would you see or do in a road test that you would not see or do during your regular driving?

It sounds like you really should find a local garage to do your maintenance. You may be able to find a Toyota dealership to do the maintenance at a significant discount compared to the Lexus dealership.
calijapan (08-29-17)
Old 08-29-17, 04:27 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

It is always good to have some idea of what to watch on your car.
Much of what you list can simply be done when you wash your car.
I tend to hand wash weekly (at least).
When I'm drying the inside rim of the hood I spot check all fluids, and check for leaks.
When doing wheels I check for any blemishes, wear, nails etc.
This is also done before and trip or long drive
The body is checked for needed touch up, I always have a bottle of touch up paint in the garage.

I have found nails and tire plys separating with this.
Rarely, will I have a fluid issue by doing this.

And finally, depending on your mileage some things should be down based on time - coolant and brake fluid at approx 5yrs.I also change the FOB battery (myself) every 2-3 years.
And cabin filter I do ANNUALLY, it is cheap and if you've ever experience the smell of a bad filter it is something to avoid. I discovered this on a 2003 SC430. I was actually allergic to the car because of the mold build up. This was when they were just starting to use the filters and the dealer wasn't aware since their solution was to spray the A/C system with clean/disinfectant. So for the $10 involved I do it every spring myself.
And it also gives me an excuse to wipe down the engine compartment (which always looks clean)

Last edited by EJC; 08-29-17 at 04:37 AM.
calijapan (08-29-17)
Old 09-03-17, 10:34 AM
calijapan
Driver School Candidate

Maikerusan, EJC,

Really sorry for the late reply! Seems my replies from a few days ago didn't go through as I was a new member.
Here are answers I found.

Q1: ES350 is front-wheel drive and every 10K tire rotation is OK. Not sure if my other "every XK miles" are okay.

Q2: There are instructions in the owner's manual for these all ("do it yourself maintenance") and any windshield washer liquid replacement can be used.
However, I am still not sure if I need to "Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors"

Q3: Not sure if my analysis of what I can do easily is right.

Q4: Same answer as Q2.

If anyone has more clarification, please let me know!
Old 09-03-17, 11:12 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by calijapan
Maikerusan, EJC,

Really sorry for the late reply! Seems my replies from a few days ago didn't go through as I was a new member.
Here are answers I found.

Q1: ES350 is front-wheel drive and every 10K tire rotation is OK. Not sure if my other "every XK miles" are okay.

Q2: There are instructions in the owner's manual for these all ("do it yourself maintenance") and any windshield washer liquid replacement can be used.
However, I am still not sure if I need to "Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors"

Q3: Not sure if my analysis of what I can do easily is right.

Q4: Same answer as Q2.

If anyone has more clarification, please let me know!
You are on the right track - there are a number of maintenance requirements on these vehicles that are very easy DIYs. Even replacing brake pads is not difficult if you know how to pull the tires off and have some basic tools, floor jack, and jack stands. I am in SoCal and have a very good independent shop we take our cars to for things I don't want to mess with. I take Mobil 1 oil (bought at Walmart very cheap with twice a year rebate) and oem filter to them and they charge 18 bucks to change the oil/filter and rotate the tires. They also do a pretty thorough check of all other items (Brakes, etc) - free. I recommend finding a dependable independent shop - you will save a lot. And yes, do the easy stuff yourself.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 09-03-17 at 11:19 AM.
calijapan (09-03-17)
Old 09-03-17, 11:41 AM
calijapan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bgaerttner!

I can't take off the tires myself, so it is okay to skip "Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors" from every 5K and let someone else do it every 10K?

Wow 18 bucks!! Lexus dealership would charge like $100+ for what you mentioned.
Old 09-03-17, 02:04 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks bgaerttner!

I can't take off the tires myself, so it is okay to skip "Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors" from every 5K and let someone else do it every 10K?

Wow 18 bucks!! Lexus dealership would charge like $100+ for what you mentioned.
The $18 is what they charge me if I provide the oil and filter. The total cost to me is under $50. While they're doing that, because they have the wheels off anyway for the rotation, they are able to check the brakes and the other things that could possibly need attention. What part of CA are you located in?
calijapan (09-03-17)
Old 09-03-17, 02:06 PM
calijapan
Driver School Candidate

Oh, makes sense!
I'm in Northern Cal, but do want to stick with Lexus dealership for big stuff (tire rotation, oil change) since I know the people very well there and the service is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
Old 09-03-17, 02:49 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, makes sense!
I'm in Northern Cal, but do want to stick with Lexus dealership for big stuff (tire rotation, oil change) since I know the people very well there and the service is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
Well, you've got a good, organized plan, and with an established relationship with your dealer, you are gonna have one well maintained vehicle.