ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Ride Quality Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 08:25 AM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ride Quality Question

I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2017 ES 350 in August and am concerned about the ride quality which was mentioned in Consumer Reports Review:

"Uncharacteristic for Lexus, the ride is on the stiff side, and the optional 18-inch wheels make it worse"....
Those remarks were from the 2017 review, yet the accompanied video in that review show pictures of the 2015 ES.

Obviously I need to test drive the vehicle myself but I'm asking those that have the 2017 ES if the ride is indeed stiffer.
Thanks
Old 07-23-17, 08:41 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a 2013 ES and now a 2016 ES both with 17" wheels. Both rode/ride well and if anything I prefer the ride of the 2016 over the 2013. I always opted for the 17 inch wheels and believe they do provide a better ride - I have driven both. Perhaps the most important factor is having the recommended tire pressure.

But, you will just have to drive the 2017 and see what you can feel. By August you may have limited choice of wheel size and at times it seems that all the dealers have in inventory are the relatively high cost 18" wheel option car. And they are never too inclined to make a switch to 17's for you.

Dave Mac
Old 07-23-17, 09:31 AM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

My preference is for the UL package that unfortunately comes with 18" wheels.
Old 07-23-17, 09:57 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomZoom
Try to test drive a UL package with lower tire pressure say 30-31 PSI. Recommended for 18" - 33 PSI.
Often times the Lexus/dealers over inflate tires for better MPG. I always have to remind my SA to set my tire pressure at 32 because he puts 35 PSI on every work order.
Old 07-23-17, 12:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I know that people have talked about the Generation 6 ES having a firmer ride quality than that of previous generation ES cars. I had a 2006 ES, and I've now had 2 Generation 6 ESs. I thought that the ride quality of that 2006 ES was very similar to that of the 2013 ES that I previously owned, and, if the 2013 did have a slightly firmer ride, I'm confident in guessing that it is because the 2013 had lower profile tires and that, while the recommended tire pressure for the 2006 was 29 psi, the recommended tire pressure for the 2013 is 33 psi. I'm also confident in guessing that, if I was interested in lowering the tire pressure in the 2013 ES, the ride would have been at least as soft as that of the 2006.

The 2013 ES had 17 inch wheels, and my 2017 ES has 18 inch wheels. The ride quality of the 2017 with the 18 inch wheels might be slightly firmer than the ride quality of the 2013 with the 17 inch wheels, but the difference isn't nearly as great as one might expect after reading internet threads. If I hadn't read all of those threads, I might well not even notice any small difference, and the only time that I might notice a small difference is when I'm driving on a road surface with lots of imperfections.
The following users liked this post:
VroomZoom (07-24-17)
Old 07-23-17, 01:18 PM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

Les
I'm currently driving an '06 Avalon Limited and want to upgrade to the '17 ES with 18" wheels....
Can you (or can anyone) compare the ride quality of those two vehicles when new?
Old 07-23-17, 02:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Les
I'm currently driving an '06 Avalon Limited and want to upgrade to the '17 ES with 18" wheels....
Can you (or can anyone) compare the ride quality of those two vehicles when new?
Sorry, but I can't offer much help. I'm not sure that I've ever driven an Avalon of any model year near 2006. I have driven a few more recent Avalon loaners when my Lexus vehicles have been serviced at the Toyota dealership. With those, the main difference that I quickly perceived between them and my ES vehicles has been that, with the Avalons, noticeably more road, engine, and wind noise entered the cabin than with the ES. As far as ride quality is concerned, I'm not sure that I paid enough attention to evaluate any differences or similarities.
Old 07-24-17, 01:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Les
with no intent to hijack your question to Les, I may be able to shed a little light as I have owned an 07 Avalon and now currently own a 2013 Lexus. I will tell you that if you go to the 18" wheels, your ride will not be as smooth as with 17" wheels. When I was shopping for a new car, I test drove a new ES 350 and loved the ride.. however, being the dummy that I can sometimes be, I actually bought an ES 350 that was on the showroom floor, not the one I test drove. As I was driving the car home from the dealership I knew immediately that the ride was not as smooth as the car I test drove. I soon discovered that the car I test drove had 17" wheels and was equipped with Michelin tires. The ES that I actually bought had the upgrade 18" wheels and came with Bridgestone Turanza's. Please don't misunderstand, there was a noticeable difference in the ride, but it was not horrible... It makes sense that the 18's ride a little rougher because you have 1 inch less of sidewall.. and 1 inch less cushion ( sidewall ) does mean a little rougher ride. My avalon was a 2017. It came with 17" rims, but had those nasty bridgestone turanza's on them... with both cars I ended up ditching the Bridgestone tires and changing them out. On the Avalon I went with MIchelins and on my ES I put on a new set of Pirelli tires. In both cases, the new tires made "A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE" in the ride quality... As far as the ES goes, I personally like the stance of the car with 18"s... If you go with the 18's, try and make sure you stay away from the bridgestone turanza tires... also, make sure your air pressure is correct... one other thing that made my maiden ride home in my new ES was because the tires were inflated to over 40 lbs in each tire. I lowered them all to around 31 or so and that also make a big big difference. hope this helps.. oh, 1 more thing, I wholeheartedly agree with Les... While I loved my Avalon, it was not nearly as quiet in the cabin as the ES is..

Poppa
VroomZoom (07-24-17)
Old 07-24-17, 05:35 AM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

My intent is to keep the vehicle for at least 10 years and have that relative "cushy" ride and quietness of my Avalon.
Does anyone think the base RX Luxury package with 20" wheels can provide a softer and quieter ride than the ES UL?
Next week I will test drive both vehicles but I will appreciate any comments/concerns.
Old 07-24-17, 11:36 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

My intent is to keep the vehicle for at least 10 years and have that relative "cushy" ride and quietness of my Avalon.
Does anyone think the base RX Luxury package with 20" wheels can provide a softer and quieter ride than the ES UL?
Next week I will test drive both vehicles but I will appreciate any comments/concerns.
I test drove a '17 RX luxury with 20" wheels, Levinson, etc., a few months ago. I was not impressed. The RX is louder and rides a bit harsher than the ES. The Levinson system is also quite disappointing (as discussed in the RX forum).
Old 07-24-17, 05:10 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The UL package does not include the 18" wheels. Most of them are equipped with the 18's, but that is a stand alone option. There are a couple of ULs at the local dealer with 17" wheels. For me, there is a significant difference in ride quality and road noise between the two.
Steve
Interapid (07-28-17)
Old 07-27-17, 10:31 PM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
with no intent to hijack your question to Les, I may be able to shed a little light as I have owned an 07 Avalon and now currently own a 2013 Lexus. I will tell you that if you go to the 18" wheels, your ride will not be as smooth as with 17" wheels. When I was shopping for a new car, I test drove a new ES 350 and loved the ride.. however, being the dummy that I can sometimes be, I actually bought an ES 350 that was on the showroom floor, not the one I test drove. As I was driving the car home from the dealership I knew immediately that the ride was not as smooth as the car I test drove. I soon discovered that the car I test drove had 17" wheels and was equipped with Michelin tires. The ES that I actually bought had the upgrade 18" wheels and came with Bridgestone Turanza's. Please don't misunderstand, there was a noticeable difference in the ride, but it was not horrible... It makes sense that the 18's ride a little rougher because you have 1 inch less of sidewall.. and 1 inch less cushion ( sidewall ) does mean a little rougher ride. My avalon was a 2017. It came with 17" rims, but had those nasty bridgestone turanza's on them... with both cars I ended up ditching the Bridgestone tires and changing them out. On the Avalon I went with MIchelins and on my ES I put on a new set of Pirelli tires. In both cases, the new tires made "A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE" in the ride quality... As far as the ES goes, I personally like the stance of the car with 18"s... If you go with the 18's, try and make sure you stay away from the bridgestone turanza tires... also, make sure your air pressure is correct... one other thing that made my maiden ride home in my new ES was because the tires were inflated to over 40 lbs in each tire. I lowered them all to around 31 or so and that also make a big big difference. hope this helps.. oh, 1 more thing, I wholeheartedly agree with Les... While I loved my Avalon, it was not nearly as quiet in the cabin as the ES is..

Poppa
Do you still have your Pirelli P7's?
Old 07-28-17, 05:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Endzone
Do you still have your Pirelli P7's?
I'm going in for mine today! Can't wait to get rid of the crappy Bridgestones!!!
Old 07-29-17, 02:30 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm going in for mine today! Can't wait to get rid of the crappy Bridgestones!!!
What model number of Bridgestone Turanzas were they?
I find the new Turanza T001's very soft riding - maybe even softer than my Cinturato P7 A/S Plus!

However the old Turanza ER33's had a very stiff carcass - good for acceleration, economy & handling I guess, but a busy ride.
Old 07-29-17, 07:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
What model number of Bridgestone Turanzas were they?
I find the new Turanza T001's very soft riding - maybe even softer than my Cinturato P7 A/S Plus!

However the old Turanza ER33's had a very stiff carcass - good for acceleration, economy & handling I guess, but a busy ride.
They were EL400's. This was my second set of Bridgestone tires I've had in my many years of driving. They will be my last if I can help it!

Quick Reply: Ride Quality Question