ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does anybody use a K&N intake filter?

Old 06-19-17, 01:01 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does anybody use a K&N intake filter?

Hi,

Does Anybody here use a K&N intake filter?

How long have you used one?

Any problems or comments?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-17, 01:10 PM
Yibo829
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use it. It won't make a difference for performance.
Old 06-19-17, 01:16 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

I'm not motivated so much by the performance but because I can keep it cleaner more often, and clean it whenever I liked.

I have noticed that changing the air filter at less than 20k miles made a huge difference in how the car felt - it felt much better. Would like to keep it more often like that.
Old 06-19-17, 01:35 PM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a few friends, including a family member, who have used K&N, and they essentially reported the same thing ... it made the vehicle slightly louder, and the engine 'felt' less torquey for whatever reason. No benefits realized.

The car was engineered around the stock filter. Stick with it, or something extremely similar.

---
Old 06-19-17, 03:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have used them in the past on performance cars, but I wouldn't recommend them on modern cars.

Everything I've read is that they don't filter down as fine of particles (which makes sense since they have greater airflow) so more dirt gets in your engine.

Also, the oil coating they use on the cotton fibers can build up on your Mass Air Flow meter located downstream of it, messing up how it works and even ruin it.

Just put a fresh stock paper airfilter every year if you want to be **** about it, it's only like $20.

I think the K&N performance claims are usually vastly overstated. Last I saw, they don't advertise the +15hp like they used to. Probably got in trouble for that.
Old 06-20-17, 12:24 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BradTank
I have used them in the past on performance cars, but I wouldn't recommend them on modern cars.

Everything I've read is that they don't filter down as fine of particles (which makes sense since they have greater airflow) so more dirt gets in your engine.

Also, the oil coating they use on the cotton fibers can build up on your Mass Air Flow meter located downstream of it, messing up how it works and even ruin it.

Just put a fresh stock paper airfilter every year if you want to be **** about it, it's only like $20.

I think the K&N performance claims are usually vastly overstated. Last I saw, they don't advertise the +15hp like they used to. Probably got in trouble for that.
K&N claims that oil from the filter damaging the Mass Airflow sensor is a myth. I wonder if that can really happen, and whether it is actually caused by someone applying too much oil, or not letting it dry properly.

Examining the holes in the filter, they are definitely bigger. I asked K&N how fine heavy particles might get filtered and they said it sticks to the oil. I have to question that for super-fine heavy particles traveling at a high velocity.

That said, I used it on a 2012 Chrysler 300 for 4 yrs without any problems, and inspecting the filter had a ton of crud on it. I wonder how much effect super-fine particles have in the combustion chamber and whether they can damage the engine.
Old 06-20-17, 02:03 AM
BigRon12
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to go with K&N myself until I stumbled across this series of filters. They are a dry flow and our easy to clean.

http://www.upgr8.com/store/oem-repla...ir-filter.html

This in combo with removing the carbon filter mesh in the intake system from my experience did aid in a bit of performance.
Old 06-20-17, 10:41 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by norakat
K&N claims that oil from the filter damaging the Mass Airflow sensor is a myth. I wonder if that can really happen, and whether it is actually caused by someone applying too much oil, or not letting it dry properly.
Honestly though, what else are they going to say?

I have heard that when "recharging" the filter, putting too much oil is where the problems arise, but it's very difficult to really meter that with a simple spray bottle the perfect amount of oil and if you put too little, its going to let in way too much dirt and not filter properly.

Just not worth it all in my opinion, after you've bought a more expensive K&N filter plus the recharge oil spray, you've saved very little money over simple paper filters and have opened yourself up to a lot of problems.

Just my two cents. I had K&N on some classic type cars, but I would skip it on new cars.
Old 06-20-17, 01:25 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a K&N filter for last 40,000 miles. no issues.

ymmv
Old 06-28-17, 01:46 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

So I installed my K&N filter this weekend and also switched over my oil to Amsoil 100% synthetic (signature series).

Wow! what an improvement. The car is much more responsive with quicker acceleration especially at highway speeds; especially noticeable in Sport mode. It feels like it has a bit more torque/hp.

My prior Lexus paper filter only had 12k miles on it and did not even look too dirty but it was already restricted. But, I do live in a dirty city with lots of road construction going on.

I like that fact that I can clean this thing every 12-15k miles and have it at top performance all the time. With paper filters at $26 each from the dealer, it would get too expensive, especially since I drive this car professionally.
Old 06-28-17, 01:51 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

What I did to ensure no excess oil is first wipe off any excess oil, and then drop it onto a clean paper bag a few times (both sides). I saw many tiny drops on the paper, then I allowed it to dry for a day. The fact that the air flows upwards through the filter gives me a little more peace of mind.
Old 06-29-17, 07:45 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Honestly though, what else are they going to say?

I have heard that when "recharging" the filter, putting too much oil is where the problems arise, but it's very difficult to really meter that with a simple spray bottle the perfect amount of oil and if you put too little, its going to let in way too much dirt and not filter properly.

Just not worth it all in my opinion, after you've bought a more expensive K&N filter plus the recharge oil spray, you've saved very little money over simple paper filters and have opened yourself up to a lot of problems.

Just my two cents. I had K&N on some classic type cars, but I would skip it on new cars.
A lexus tech told me to never use a K&N on any of my ESs. Take it for what it worth, he said the "motor was not engineered for the increased air flow, it allows too many particles into the motor, and the oil is messy." There are some articles written about this too.
Old 06-29-17, 08:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

I'm a strong believer that one should use filters and parts designed for the vehicle and recommended by the manufacturer. Not aftermarket parts where claims cannot be substantiated.
Old 06-29-17, 08:56 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

A K&N filter is only useful if you are adding a cold air intake system to the car, which will allow for much more flow and colder air into the engine. It usually gives a nice deep sound with several more horsepower. Now most ES owners are not into performance mods - let alone mods at all!