ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

how do I turn off navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 12:32 PM
n243793
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how do I turn off navigation?

First post, be kind! Day to day I kind of know where I'm going but I do have a healthy curiosity as to the name of some of these new toe tappers I hear on the radio. What I want to do is turn off the nav and just have the radio display with the band name and song title on constantly. I've scoured the manuals to no avail. Thanks guys and gals.
Old 06-16-17, 01:07 PM
FmrAccord
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I stream Spotify in my car all the time. I hit the media button and select my phone from the source and listen to the tunes.

I am assuming all lexus dealers have a tech there that will explain all of this to you.
Old 06-16-17, 01:16 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm a little confused. Can you just press the "Radio" button above the "Media" button on the left of the CD/DVD player? If you press the "Radio" button and it takes you somewhere else, use the **** on the center console to select "AM" or "FM" or what you would like.

Depending on the radio station depends on what gets displayed. The radio station has to broadcast the name of the song, singer, etc., and then Lexus radio screen will display that.
Old 06-16-17, 01:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You can set up your default home screen with a number of options.

You can have it show one item as full screen, 2 items in a split screen, or 3 items in a 3-paned screen, and you can choose the item(s) that are displayed, including the map, the audio system, the navigation system, or fuel consumption information.

The way that you customize the screen varies depending on the year of your ES and the generation of the navigation system, but all should be similar. For my 2017 ES with the Generation 9 navigation system, you go to the menu, then, to "set up", and, then, to "customize home screen".

For the 2017 ES, this is all explained starting on page 40 of the navigation manual. For other years, it won't likely be exactly in the same location, but it should be close.
Old 06-16-17, 01:47 PM
n243793
Driver School Candidate

Default How 2 turn off nav screen

bottom line, I can't turn off the maps in nav. No matter what I press it goes back to the nav screen.
Old 06-16-17, 02:03 PM
FmrAccord
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would goto the dealer and ask their tech person.
Old 06-16-17, 02:35 PM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 and I can do the split screen so the music is displayed on the right hand side of the map. The map never goes away. Though I just had it in to the dealer for a tsb, and now when I'm on the freeway, I get a display of exits and what is available at each exit, i.e. gas, food and lodging instead of what music is playing. Only on the freeway and not local streets. Gotta figure out how to make that go away when I'm not using the nav.
Old 06-16-17, 02:40 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

You can turn the display completely off. No maps, music, menus, or anything else...
Old 06-16-17, 07:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

It sounds like you want exactly the same behavior we use. Every time the car starts, it is on the radio screen. I actually have to go hunt for the Nav display. I believe the option that allows this behavior is in the Settings, and then scroll down to "Auto Screen Change" and turn it off. Now you should be able to press the Radio button and have it stay on radio.
Old 06-17-17, 03:40 AM
n243793
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ward6096
It sounds like you want exactly the same behavior we use. Every time the car starts, it is on the radio screen. I actually have to go hunt for the Nav display. I believe the option that allows this behavior is in the Settings, and then scroll down to "Auto Screen Change" and turn it off. Now you should be able to press the Radio button and have it stay on radio.
thanks ward6096, sounds what I'm looking for
Old 06-17-17, 10:00 AM
n243793
Driver School Candidate

fixed, thanks ward
Old 06-17-17, 12:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Even when my "auto screen change" is turned to "off", every time I start the car it defaults back to the navigation map screen.
So annoying.
Old 06-17-17, 01:08 PM
n243793
Driver School Candidate

Brad try turning it back on (auto screen change) go to the "mouse" select radio THEN go to auto screen change and turn it "off". Worth a shot, ward6069 seems pretty sharp. good luck
Old 06-18-17, 12:13 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by n243793
Brad try turning it back on (auto screen change) go to the "mouse" select radio THEN go to auto screen change and turn it "off". Worth a shot, ward6069 seems pretty sharp. good luck
You are very welcome, but truth be told, I could have easily learned this tip from another member of this forum. I can't exactly recall where I picked it up. The purpose of this forum is to share tips, advice and even opinions among people that have an active interest in these cars, so my advice is to search first because a given topic may have already been discussed, but don't be afraid to ask if you don't see your answer - and don't be afraid to contribute if you think you can help.

Brad: I agree that trying to turn it back on and off again sounds like a reasonable try. After turning it back off, you should be able to press the radio button and have it stick on radio after starting the car back up. I suppose there may be differences between model years, but I would be inclined to address it with the dealer if it doesn't work as described.

Last edited by TechNut; 06-18-17 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have my home screen set up with a 3-display split screen: the compass in the top left corner, the climate control display below that and the audio system display on the right half. Yet, every time I turn off and turn the ignition back on, the screen defaults back to the navigation display; this is despite any number of different settings I have tried.

I have given up and just press the Home button to the right of the Remote Touch cursor control toggle (mouse) every time I start up the car and drive away.

I have noticed that if I do this while starting up and driving away in a parking lot, the compass display does not show the street name (leaving it blank) and will never update the street name; I have to switch to my home screen while on a street recognized by the navigation system. I can understand why this is done, because in a parking lot, the navigation system is not close enough to a recognized street to know where it is; it is frustrating but I have given up complaining and I work around it.

Quick Reply: how do I turn off navigation?